Is the color green restricted to Planet Earth?

Extollager

Here in North Dakota, we do without green in nature for most of the year (aside from dark evergreens). Thus in May and now June it's as if green has just been invented. I think green is my favorite color, another reason to stay in North Dakota because the climate promotes an appreciation of green that might be missing if you live in the tropics. (We had someone who lived in Bali here, for a while, didn't we? Maybe that person could comment.)

But I wondered if green occurs anywhere else -- as far as we know -- in the universe. Maybe some minerals?

There are no green stars per se.

Minerals? Certainly, but we'll have to go there to see them. Anything with oxidized copper is green (depending on light source) and like here, although we can't go there and check, it must occur elsewhere as elemental copper (Cu #29) is one step lower than zinc (ZN #30) preceding its creation and oxygen (O #8) precedes both.

Last edited:
A planet's sky with a reasonable oxygen content would be green if it was exposed to charged particles. The more often it was exposed to charged particles the more often it would be green. There are probably some planets that get non stop bombardment and the sky would be glowing green all the time.

Back