Stuck!

Timben

I'm rather stuck. You see, my current WIP is a Western and I failed to write the reason for the mayor of the town to be rather ticked off at the Marshal who jailed five outlaws. I first thought it had something to do with a Texas senator coming to town. But that doesn't make sense. Then I thought of the mayor wanting the town to grow and not want their past to be their future. Any suggestions? The story is set in a fictional town in Texas in 1905.

It could be that the five outlaws are family/gang members of a prominent landowner that the mayor relies on to get elected.

It could depend on the reason why the outlaws have been jailed, and what there sentences are.

But the likelihood from your scenario is that the mayor is corrupt, and annoyed that his regular paybacks have been interrupted by the law.

The Mayor's wife left him for the Marshal.

It could be that the five outlaws are family/gang members of a prominent landowner that the mayor relies on to get elected.

It could depend on the reason why the outlaws have been jailed, and what there sentences are.

But the likelihood from your scenario is that the mayor is corrupt, and annoyed that his regular paybacks have been interrupted by the law.
They were caught and brought in because they robbed the town bank.

What if one of the outlaws is the Mayor's son? The mayor could not bribe the Marshal to let his son go free, and the towns Mayoral election is coming up. Does not look good for the Mayor's re-election.

It's not going to go well for the mayor if the town bank is robbed (and everyone's savings stolen) and the robbers aren't apprehended. Who's going to vote him back into office then?

I think we would need to know why the mayor is unhappy with their capture. Perhaps it's that the outlaws' friends will come to town to release their buddies, and nurdee the townsfolk and destroy their property in retrubution? Or that the mayor is a crook and was in on the plot to rob the bank?

What if one of the outlaws is the Mayor's son? The mayor could not bribe the Marshal to let his son go free, and the towns Mayoral election is coming up. Does not look good for the Mayor's re-election.
That's a possibility. Didn't think of that. Much obliged by the idea. Or he could have had a son out of wedlock and he has joined the outlaws so the Mayor wouldn't want that on his conscience. What do you think of that?

I would strongly recommend checking the laws at that time. Marshalls had different powers at different times in different states. As were the duties and powers of the mayor.

Also it's very unlikely that any law enforcement officer would capture a gsng of outlaws single handed; there are bound to be others involved.

It is also worth considering the differences and working relationships between marshalls and sheriffs at this time in the state of Texas.

Contrary to movies and many western books, county sheriffs were the principal law enforcement in Texas. Still are in many counties. Set in the constitution of 1872, or whatever year Texas was released from Reconstruction.