Windows 11 to permanently save everything you ever do/ look at on your PC

The 14 year old laptop I have started to struggle with Windows 10 updates, so I reverted to Windows 7. I either use that or an equally vintage 1st generation iPad Air. I don’t think anything I’ve ever owned could meet the minimum spec for 11, so not my worry...

To those preferring the older system, Windows 10 support to end 14th October 2025.

What with this and the adverts in the start menu and file explorer, and data slurping, sorry, telemetry, it's almost as if MS are trying to kill their share of the home PC market!

For those with an older machine, or just looking to ditch Windows, can I suggest considering installing Linux?
If all you need a PC for is for browsing the internet and some light office documents I'd recommend Linux Mint

I use the laptop for formatting what I’ve written on the iPad, and printing. Also those sites the iPad can no longer access correctly - my version of the Safari browser being no longer supported and can’t be upgraded further. I’m used to MS Word - is there anything for Linux with the same look and feel?

I’m used to MS Word - is there anything for Linux with the same look and feel?
Libre Office is the oft mentioned alternative for MS Office programs

There are a few sites that do comparisons with MS Office

Here's a massive feature comparison

Libre Office is the oft mentioned alternative for MS Office programs

There are a few sites that do comparisons with MS Office

Here's a massive feature comparison
I've been quite satisfied with Libre Office for several years now.

I like Libre Office. My main computer is too old to update to win 11.
I really hate windows updates.
I only use one PC for my major nonsense like forum posting or banking stuff and ordering.
As long as I can get virus protection I would not want to update until the computer needs replacing.

Win 7 Ultimate on Alienware. Installed 2007 and has run 24/7 since with no issues. One instance of hard down time due to a close lightning strike, quickly fixed. Still no issues. All telemetry and JS from MS blocked.

Brave browser, OOW. Mix of Freelance Graphics, Gimp, Irfanview and homebrew apps. I don't use MS beyond OS functionality.

Apple and MS both hoover. They both have a history of promising easier user controls and reneging, also of simply disappearing things.

For those same reasons, I rarely use any cloud apps for anything beyond trivial throw away. If you upload it, they will steal.

I use OO Writer because one, it's free and two, it's a nice quality word processor that pumps out good quality pdf with embedded graphics. It's HTML output is garbage but it displays. If you want it for anything else you'll have to massage it (homebrew). Structurally, it's a mess.

I only use Gimp for certain things the others can't do. In my opinion it suffers from a standard Open Source trait; as it's created and maintained by geeks, unfortunately it is designed by geeks for geeks. I'm a geek and the learning curve was steep and often counter-intuitive.

On an OOW capitalization bug issue, I was actually asked why I hadn't looked into the code myself. The OS culture is very paranoid/OCD in nature. Just an FYI, all the word processor issues I know of in OOW are still there in LOW.

I haven't posted there in a couple years but you can find my comments on this and other comp stuff at SlashDot.org with this same moniker.

I detest Windows. As an OS it fails its primary goal utterly.
You - as user as well as (in most cases) owner of your PC, laptop and the like - ought to feel you can blindly trust your OS and that it thinks and works for you. Windows (MS) foremost thinks of its own interests. It abuses its power. The fact that (since Windows 11) you have to log in on your windows-account before you can use your own PC is vexing. You have to check your privacy-settings after each major upgrade.
It is criminal behaviour.
It is also a bad product. It over-emphasizes its pretty looks. Graphical overload. It unnecessarily burdens your CPU. It requires a new PC for every new version of Windows. How sustainable!
Windows 10 made me convert to Linux (Mint). No regrets, whatsoever. I used to work a lot with MS Excel (for work and for private use) and to develop macro's. Still do, now that I am retired, but exclusively in Libreoffice - Calc. In VBA-mode you hardy notice the difference.

Meanwhile,

I had a read at this and either I'm part of a tiny minority or MS are completely out of touch with what their customers want.

So here's my list of grievances.

1) I most definitely do not want (and will not use - I will look to an alternative OS instead) a version of Windows that is 'cloud native' and streamed 'just like Windows 365'

I'd appreciate a bit of honesty from MS about this because my translation is as follows: instead of paying once to buy our operating system, we will now force you to pay multiple times via subscription. Failure to pay will mean disconnection from the cloud.

2) I want to be able to choose whether or not to incorporate AI into my work. When a recent update installed Co-Pilot, it was essentially already up and running on my machine and it wasn't until I noticed the new icon that I found out and then spent ages figuring out how to turn it off. The user should choose and the default should be 'off'.

This Co-Pilot scenario I've just mentioned brings me to the very core of the problem: I want to use an operating system, not fight with it.

3) Likewise this new snooping software. The default should be off and, while I'm mentioning it, how will this work in Europe where there is more emphasis on the user privacy where cookies are concerned? I can see a future legal argument that both this snooping and AI software could be covered by the same or similar laws, compelling MS to make changes at least for that particular market.

A quote from the article...."It is front and center for me, making sure we are winning Windows customers through great experiences at the end of the day,”

Can't remember the last time I had a 'great experience' with Windows (although I have spent a lot of time shouting expletives at it).

I think my time using MS products is coming to an end so once my Win 11 machine is no longer supported I think that will be it for me. Time to move to Linux.

To those wondering about Libre Office. I found it a little bit finicky at first but now that I'm used to it, it does the job pretty well. And here's the good part - it's free. You don't need to pay a subscription to use it. Stick that in your pipe, Microsoft.

I have rescued some old computers with a Linux OS , and for that reason Linux is of value . To be honest , I believe most Linux distros to be a poor alternative to Microsoft or Mac OS , designed by geeks for geeks . Until I discovered Zorin. Still in development but on it's way to become a real contender for mainstem OS. It has all the Linux favourites such as Libra Office , but it will also can run programs designed for windows .
Unfortunately, I have not found an alterative OS for old iPads . But if you have an new iPad , it is possible to download files and apps on the new that are inaccessible on the old , and open them on the old . Some apps don't run on an old machine , but some will . I recently added , soundbrenner metronome to an old iPad that way .

Until I discovered Zorin. Still in development but on it's way to become a real contender for mainstem OS. It has all the Linux favourites such as Libra Office , but it will also can run programs designed for windows .
I've been in the software business (retired now) since '70. I have heard decades of what is now really a meme: "The year of the Linux desktop."

Zorin looks interesting and promising though. If I was setting up a new system I'd look into it. Good wishes their way.

A big leg up for MS is they have an entire ecosystem of online help, something the OS community should emulate.

My suggestion to anyone is, if you have your system doing what it needs to do, lock it down and don't change. Updates aren't even really necessary unless you're corporate or govt.

Last edited:
Obviously there is a huge difference between a corporate-developed and supported OS and an OS that's basically put together by a community of enthusiasts. It also doesn't help that this community is dived into dozens of groups that branched off.
But really, quality of the product is not the point. It is MS's approach and attitude towards its customers, their activities while logged in and their data. It is like a car dealer who demands that you open an account with them before handing over the keys, log in every time before starting the engine and then monitors your goings and driver's style, your passengers and stuff in the back, all the while showering you with adverts based on your daily life as a driver.
I don't care how glamouring that car is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Technology 58
Brian G Turner Technology 25
Serendipity Publishing 7
W Technology 0
Toby Frost Technology 18