Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Creepshow

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The Thing

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Harpo

Getting away with it
1982 looks like it was stuffed with SFF classics, so here’s a poll. I’ve limited it to ten options - apologies to fans of Android, Halloween III, & The Beastmaster, etc etc.

Maybe you prefer a different year? Let us know, and I might do another poll about another year another day.

I have somehow never seen ET or Poltergeist. Or Creepshow.

For lots of reasons The Thing gets my vote. It's a complete movie with horror, suspense, science fiction and an increasing feeling of claustrophobia and tension. The scene with the blood testing is one of the greatest.

Blade Runner is a brilliant experience, but is less of movie (in my opinion). The best thing about Blade Runner are the cinematics, with some superb crowd scenes and clothing. It truly is a work of art; something its sequel tried to be many years later, with a far greater budget and much more powerful computers for tge spevial effects - and failed miserably.

A toss up between Conan, The Thing and Blade Runner, but went with Conan because the other two are mysteries and once you know the ending, well, then there's no mystery. And at the time I'd more or less just got into the whole Sword and Sorcery thing, especially REH, so Conan has a special place in my history (y)

@paranoid marvin I thought it was just me regards Blade Runner 2049. I read all the hype, heard it called a 'masterpiece' and then, after I watched it, I thought 'Is that it?' :unsure:

You'll like E.T., and Khan if you're a Star Trek fan. The rest are OK, including Thing and Blade.

The best for me is Road Warrior. It reminds me of Moby-Dick and other works.

You'll like E.T., and Khan if you're a Star Trek fan. The rest are OK, including Thing and Blade.

The best for me is Road Warrior. It reminds me of Moby-Dick and other works.

The Road Warrior was an another film I enjoyed . It has one the greatest film opens of all time.:cool:

I voted Blade Runner, mainly because the 1982 version had the Noir narration, and I just love that!
The Thing was a contender. but I like the 1953 original better.
Tron might also have gotten the vote, as I've come to like it more over the years.

Poltergeist for me — enjoyed the others (never seen Madmax or Conan).

One of my favourite ‘82 horrors is a little known effort outside of horror aficionados, called The Slayer or Nightmare Island. Was on the video nasties list (which seems ridiculous now) and had some pretty dire acting. Thing is it had wonderfully artistic shots and the music was good. Filmed on Tybee Island in GA, it’s worth a watch just for the locations.

If you do 1980, please make sure you include The Fog. (Naturally ;) )

I voted Blade Runner, mainly because the 1982 version had the Noir narration, and I just love that!
The Thing was a contender. but I like the 1953 original better.
Tron might also have gotten the vote, as I've come to like it more over the years.
Part of the narration of Blade Runner has the hero explain about Sushi being cold fish and his ex wife calling him this. Rather unfairly I thought, as did others who knew me at this time, an ex of mine started calling me this after she watched the film. Funny it still niggles the rare times I'm reminded of it 42 years later. Still love the film though.

Some extraordinary movies there. I went with The Thing.

Blade Runner and The Wrath of Khan were also contender, but i think that The Thing just trumps them.

Ask me again tomorrow and that will change.

Some extraordinary movies there. I went with The Thing.

Blade Runner and The Wrath of Khan were also contender, but i think that The Thing just trumps them.

Ask me again tomorrow and that will change.
Blade Runner' has become so ingrained in the cultural zeitgeist that it was impossible to ignore.

Blade Runner. But that absolutely must be the directors cut. The original with the removal of the unicorn and a 'Hollywood' was an artistic crime IMO, along with the ridiculous noir era voice over. I'm glad Scott reinstated the movie he originally made.

I voted for E.T. because I grew up with it. It was one of my earlier favorite movies.

Some of the other movies are also very good, but I was introduced to them later in life. Nothing else tops that earlier fantasy of finding a friendly alien in my backyard. :)

Blade Runner with the noir voiceover, The Thing, Mad Max 2, Wrath of Kahn - all of these I’d rewatch.

I've seen all of those, which reminded me that around that time I used to go to almost every movie that came out.

They all had elements I liked, but Poltergeist was the one I enjoyed the most from start to finish.

I've seen all of those, which reminded me that around that time I used to go to almost every movie that came out.

They all had elements I liked, but Poltergeist was the one I enjoyed the most from start to finish.

Directing wise it's also one of Tobe Hoope'rs best films.