Lancet - action/psychological SF

donrmontgomery

Supporter
Lancet is available for free on Kindle Unlimited! Grab a copy and read to your heart's content - you won't regret it.

If you prefer to buy a copy, the e-book is $2.99 US.

Amazon.com
Amazon.ca
Amazon.co.uk

Cover - smaller.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm curious - what do you think is a reasonable price for a self-pubbed scifi ebook (about 350 pages)? I've seen various prices ranging from $9.99 to free, and this is my first novel-length publication, so I wanted so I thought I should ask for everyone's thoughts.

I started a podcast. It's about life in general and making the best of things. Easy listening in an age of outrage and sensationalism. Occasionally I review books/media. And I'm reading my scifi novel Lancet as well.

Hope you'll check it out.

Hey everyone,

I'm curious - what do you think is a reasonable price for a self-pubbed scifi ebook (about 350 pages)? I've seen various prices ranging from $9.99 to free, and this is my first novel-length publication, so I wanted so I thought I should ask for everyone's thoughts.

15 is good starting point. it s mid level price .

Last edited:
For an ebook, it's hard to say. Several years ago when I re-issued some of my own books $2.99 was considered about right. But prices have gone up a lot since then. Now prices are all over the place. I would say that 7 or 8 dollars is perhaps the average.

But it depends. As a first novel, and self published, you might want to be fairly conservative in pricing your book (as I see, by the first post in this thread, that you have). If you go too low, people might think it's a sign that the book isn't very good. Too high and they will think it's over-priced. I bought an ebook of a short story by a new-to-me writer,that was thirteen or fourteen dollars, which I did think was outrageous, but I was really attracted by the book description, and the writer, though comparatively new, was highly regarded (I think this was what decided me), so I gritted my teeth and bought it. But normally I would never pay nearly so much for anything less than novel-length and by a writer I already particularly liked. In this case, I liked the story and the way it was written sufficiently well that I don't feel ripped-off—I mean the book wasn't misrepresented, and I enjoyed it, so at least there was that—however, I don't see myself repeating that experience, whereas had the price (and the prices of subsequent stories) been more reasonable I would almost certainly have gone on buying her books. For whatever such anecdotal evidence is worth.

But there are other factors to take into consideration. Is this book a one-off, or do you have more in at the same series or at least of the same sort, to be published in the near future? Then you might want to price it very low (or free) to attract readers now and charge more for subsequent books once you have readers eager to read what you publish next. I have seen a lot of writers price the first book as free or perhaps 99¢, then the next book costs a few dollars, the next even more, and then further books at about the same price as the third book, depending on length. I do not know how successful this is as a strategy. Would so many writers be doing this if it didn't work? Maybe, maybe not. I can say as a reader that it has sometimes hooked me on a writer's works.

But it is not entirely a question of what a fair price is or what he has a right to charge, but of what the market will bear, and above all, what, should he wish to establish a career as a writer, will be most likely to further that goal. And the answer to that is a complicated one, as I think my previous answer indicates.

But it is not entirely a question of what a fair price is or what he has a right to charge, but of what the market will bear, and above all, what, should he wish to establish a career as a writer, will be most likely to further that goal. And the answer to that is a complicated one, as I think my previous answer indicates.
I think one of the trickiest components is trying to convert customers who get things for free into customers who are willing to pay for something. I know a lot of people who read indies, but only if they don't have to pay. As soon as an author starts charging, they go elsewhere. Which is extremely frustrating - I don't know how do they expect writers to continue writing if they can't feed themselves while doing it? At the same time, a lot of people won't try a new author if they charge. So I'm in this weird predicament of having a product to sell, but no one knowing who I am. And when you combine those two things, very few people will take a chance.

I know a lot of people who read indies, but only if they don't have to pay. As soon as an author starts charging, they go elsewhere.
I don't think these are the kind of readers you want to attract anyway. You want readers who are intrigued by the description of the book, people who expect to like it, and (one hopes) actually will, who will write reviews if they do like it, recommend it to their friends, buy your next book, etc.—not people who read a book only because it is free, and even if they enjoyed it resent paying for your next. Such readers are a waste of your time.

However, were you to sell the book at a reduced price, letting people know that it is a limited time promotion, you might tempt people who were on the fence about whether to buy it or not, people more disposed to like it, not just people who are looking for a deal. That way, it doesn't give the impression that you are giving the book away for little or nothing because it's not very good and even you suspect as much, but instead you are making a business decision, that you believe in the quality of your writing and are offering a deal because you expect readers who do pick it up will like it and help spread the word.

One advantage you have is the luxury of time. A self-published book doesn't have the same narrow window to attract readers that trad books do. If it is not an immediate hit, it won't get pulled by the publisher to make room for the next new release, because the publisher is you. Also, if you continue to write books, you control the back list, allowing it to build.

Hi all,

First promo thread, so bear with me. I've just published my novel on Amazon and most everywhere else (Indigo in Canada, Barnes & Noble in the states, e-book sites everywhere and various worldwide distributors. So, obscure though it may be at the moment, it is surprisingly easy to get your hands on.

Front and back cover below, as well as the book trailer. Hope you enjoy it!

New: On sale for 2024!

Ebook US $5.99, paperback $17.99

View attachment 111049

HEll​

Hello Don and
Hi all,

First promo thread, so bear with me. I've just published my novel on Amazon and most everywhere else (Indigo in Canada, Barnes & Noble in the states, e-book sites everywhere and various worldwide distributors. So, obscure though it may be at the moment, it is surprisingly easy to get your hands on.

Front and back cover below, as well as the book trailer. Hope you enjoy it!

New: On sale for 2024!

Ebook US $5.99, paperback $17.99

View attachment 111049

Hello Don,

Congratulations on the novel and on launching your podcast too.

What tools did you use to make that promo video? I liked it.

Hello Don and

Hello Don,

Congratulations on the novel and on launching your podcast too.

What tools did you use to make that promo video? I liked it.
Cyberlink PowerDirector 365. It's not bad for the price, generally produces good results. Although it is a subscription - but still way less than Adobe.
I used some stock footage and included effects for most of it. Then I used some on-sale assets to create the 3d models in Unreal Engine 5 (overhead panning shot, walking shot with building and space flyby). Did the voice-over myself.

Big shout-out to the McMaster University Poetry and Creative Writing Society for putting on this event. I'll be speaking on Feb 2nd, 2024 from 6-8 pm. If you're willing to boost this post on your social media accounts, I'd very much appreciate it! My plan is to film it and post the presentation afterwards as well. I've also put a screenshot below the post if you don't use Instagram.

1706295779406.png

We had a great turnout at McMaster University on Feb 2nd. First part of the presentation is now up on Youtube :)
Excited to see what people think - what your perspectives are - all that fun stuff!

Curious if anyone's interested in reviewing my book. It's been a challenge to get people to leave reviews/ratings, so I thought I'd ask the community. Let me know if you are!

Just a little update today: I've reached a milestone. I've just sold 101 copies of Lancet :)
Wasn't sure I'd ever get there...but for everyone who's grabbed a copy - you have my heartfelt thanks.