YOUR HALLOWEEN READING & WATCHING?

Dave Vicks

THE BEST OF THE BEST HORROR STORIES. Editor Ellen Datlow.

Movie RITUAL ,2002.

Just watched "Revolt of the Zombies" (1936) with a very young Dean Jagger complete with hair. Young, diffident man, a scientist, loses his fiance to another man. Diving into his studies he discovers the age old way of making zombies, then decides to take what he wants. Naturally, in the '30s this doesn't end well. Not awful, but not recommended unless you really like '30s horror movies.

For reading, I've been dipping into The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll go with it.

Watched John Carpenter’s The Thing with the family. Glad to have seen lots of accolades here on the forums just before. Very well done film, great storytelling. It’s got everything, great score, skin-crawling gruesome monsters, tense interpersonal dynamics, aliens, and the fate of the world. Love the ending, b/c it lets me make my own story about what “really” happened.

Watched The Fog (always preferred it to The Thing for some reason). Also giving Something Wicked This Way Comes a read - I've had a copy sitting around for years and just never got around to opening it.

My wife finished The Children on the Hill by Jennifer McMahon, told me it was good, so I decided to dive in. Well, step in. Still in the shallow end. (Extended metaphor, much?)

Plan on reading Will Storr vs the Ghosts and Joe Nickell's The Science of Ghosts -- one a journalist hanging out with ghost-chasers, the other a skeptic investigating ghost claims.

Listening to some ghost stories read by Vincent Price and Boris Karloff, and will watch From Beyond the Grave tonight and Charlie Brown's Halloween special tomorrow.
I usually watch the Disney Legend of Sleepy Hollow was well.

Before work this morning I finished watching "Hold That Ghost," an early Abbott and Costello movie. Silly fun. Unfortunately, other things tonight will probably keep me away from more movies or reading.

Happy Halloween, everyone.

I might try and read John W. Campbell’s “Who Goes There”. I adore John Carpenter’s movie and the source material has been on my TBR pile for ages.

Before work this morning I finished watching "Hold That Ghost," an early Abbott and Costello movie. Silly fun. Unfortunately, other things tonight will probably keep me away from more movies or reading.

Happy Halloween, everyone.
I watched and enjoyed that one, too. It also had Mo & Curly Howard's eldest brother Shemp in it in a minor role.

I think I posted in another thread that I watched Burn, Witch Burn, known in the UK as Night of the Eagle (I think?). It was based on Fritz Leiber's Conjure Wife. Very nicely done.

I watched and enjoyed that one, too. It also had Mo & Curly Howard's eldest brother Shemp in it in a minor role.

I think I posted in another thread that I watched Burn, Witch Burn, known in the UK as Night of the Eagle (I think?). It was based on Fritz Leiber's Conjure Wife. Very nicely done.
Been awhile since I saw that. I agree. Well done.