Inhibitor Phase

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
Has anyone read INHIBITOR PHASE by Alastair Reynolds? If so, what do you reckon? While I still read quite a bit of SF, it's been a while since I've read Reynolds specifically, or his kind of chunky (or, er, bloated) SF in general. I really loved all the Revelation Space novels many years ago, and I liked others such as HOUSE OF SUNS, but I'm afraid I went off Reynolds after BLUE REMEMBERED EARTH.

I'm currently reading THE GONE WORLD by Tom Sweterlitch, which is a fairly sprawling, at times even slightly "messy" SF novel, albeit often pretty well written. It's put me in a mood for re-engaging with more of the sort of SF I used to read a fifteen or twenty years ago.

I read it, and while nice to have a return to RS, it was not quite as good. Just not as goofball Elysium Fire or Slow Bullets. His recent Permafrost is excellent.

Hi Coragem, there is an existing thread, here. Is it possible for the moderatorbots to merge them?

I really enjoyed Inhibitor Phase and felt it was a return to form after the Inspector Dreyfuss novels, which i personally felt were a bit weak.

I enjoyed the ending, which i found to be relatively upbeat. Great cover, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I read your thoughts in the other threat, Rodders. So double thanks. I'll definitely give it a go. Generally speaking, I prefer Reynolds when he's darker, or more noir in tone. My favourite always used to be CHASM CITY, although it's twenty years since I read it. Not sure how I'd feel about it if I read it again now.

As noted, I really didn't get on with BLUE REMEMBERED EARTH. Back then Reynolds wasn't outlining his novels, and in BRE is showed: a decent start, but thereafter just a lot of chasing about but barely anything really happening.

The only non-RS book i read was Century Rain, which i enjoyed, but it didn't hit the same as the Revelation Space books. I will go back and read more, i swear. I'm particularly interested in Terminal World and Pushing Ice.

The only non-RS book i read was Century Rain, which i enjoyed, but it didn't hit the same as the Revelation Space books. I will go back and read more, i swear. I'm particularly interested in Terminal World and Pushing Ice.
Personal taste, but I really enjoyed HOUSE OF SUNS. The strongest non-RS novel IMO. For me CENTURY RAIN started very well, but lost it's way, became, well, silly. Again, for a long time Reynolds didn't outline his novels (I believe he's begun doing so in recent years) and sometimes it seemed to catch him out in the 2nd and 3rd acts.