Fallacies, useful to know for writers.

And here's the link, since it won't show on embedded videos

And here's the link, since it won't show on embedded videos
I guess I need to eat more cake.

For writers, this is all very important to understand. What type of logical fallacies do your protagonist, and other characters prefer?

I wonder whether specific people have specific types of fallacies that they prefer and rely upon or if we understand the use of logical fallacies so deeply that we can just jump around as is convenient at the time.

I prefer illogical fallacies. They're more fun, plus pixies like 'em as a treat.

My mum used and still uses many of these even to this day.
This is the most common one she used on me growing up:

Me: I just finished mowing the lawn.
Mum: That's a matter of opinion if you even mowed it at all.
Me: But you saw me mowing it and I smell of cut grass and petrol!
Mum: That's for the neighbors to decide. If they don't agree with you, then you didn't.
Me: What?

Really, my wife and in-laws have been victims of this so much that they don't want to see or talk to her anymore...

But as for writing, this is giving me something to think about in regard to my protagonist ...

One of the most prevalent right now is the Appeal to authority fallacy.
Particularly "It said on the news that..."
Or worse, the nebulous "Experts say..." when the experts are unnamed and may not even be experts, simply people with a bias giving their opinions.

My favorite, as a former history professor, is the classic "history teaches us ...."

My mum used and still uses many of these even to this day.
This is the most common one she used on me growing up:

Me: I just finished mowing the lawn.
Mum: That's a matter of opinion if you even mowed it at all.
Me: But you saw me mowing it and I smell of cut grass and petrol!
Mum: That's for the neighbors to decide. If they don't agree with you, then you didn't.
Me: What?

Really, my wife and in-laws have been victims of this so much that they don't want to see or talk to her anymore...

But as for writing, this is giving me something to think about in regard to my protagonist ...
Where Fallacy and Philosophy intersect.

I don't believe there is a chair in the other room. There was one there when I left the room a moment ago but I can't verify it is there now until I return to that room. And then I won't believe there is a chair in this room.

Where Fallacy and Philosophy intersect.

I don't believe there is a chair in the other room. There was one there when I left the room a moment ago but I can't verify it is there now until I return to that room. And then I won't believe there is a chair in this room.
That reminds me of an argument about the nature of truth: I am looking at a field. In the field I believe I see a cow. Therefore it's reasonable to believe the field has a cow in it.
The cow is a cut-out of a cow. But, behind that cut-out, completely concealed, is.... an actual cow.
So... what I believe is in fact so. But my reasons for believing it are based on an illusion. Therefore the question is: Do I have the truth, or not?