ISO: Stories with humor (humour) for 9-10yo

msstice

200 words a day = 1 novel/year
Supporter
My daughter has a great sense of humor. Some of that is being corrupted by watching Hannah Montana. I realized that all the books she reads (e.g. Wings of Fire) and I read to her (Harry Potter, Harriet the Spy, Percy Jackson) have been essentially serious books. The one humorous series we did was Whatever after which we read to the very end. This had a humorous voice, but wasn't actually laugh out loud funny. I'd like to find something I could read out loud to her that is humorous and will make her giggle and chuckle.

My first search on Amazon yielded books with the word "Fart" in the title. I think that would get old quickly. The Smelliest Day at the Zoo was a hit, but I'm looking for something more subtle.

Thank you!

Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series and Jones' Howl's Moving Castle both spring to mind as potentially good ideas.

Thank you @The Big Peat ! Did not know Sir. Terry had kids stuff. Went out (well, went out on the internet) and bought the first Tiffany Aching book and Howl's moving castle. Will let you know how we get on.

I read The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers to my son when he was 9 or 10. It is funny, clever , and interesting. Also episodic. We read it over a month or two. He still loves it as an adult.

Similarly the Uncle stories by JP Martin, if you can find a recent copy. Brilliant.

Last edited:
If you can find it, The Wonderful O by James Thurber. Might look a bit young for her, but as an adult I found it very funny.

The Wee Free Men is fun, but suspenseful. My daughter will take bloody gore, ghosts, slashing, slithery snakes and potty humor (AKA Harry Potter) but not suspense, so we had to stop reading that.

Howl's castle is a complete hit with both me and my daughter. At first I was a little suspicious of the message being sent to girls, but I think most of the girls are doing whatever they want despite what their mothers are telling them. Howl is a playboy but lets see how that turns out. My daughter did get weirded out by the scarecrow, but that's a credit to her imagination.

I assume she's read Roald Dahl?

I would also class The Hobbit as fun and fully of humour and humorous situations.

I assume she's read Roald Dahl?

I would also class The Hobbit as fun and fully of humour and humorous situations.
I've read some of Roald Dahl to her and she really enjoys it. We had stop reading "The Witches" because it got too tense, but she enjoyed it a lot. To this day I don't know how "The Witches" ends, so I should probably go back and finish it.

@The Big Peat Well! Howl's Moving Castle was a complete hit. After the book ended, my daughter said "Oh I don't want it to end! I feel so sad now." which I explained to her is a sign that the book was excellent.

Now, my problem is that the "sequel" book "Castle in the air" is not about Howl. Anyone know what we could try next like that?

I'm reading Uncle, and she likes it, but I don't know how much.

@The Big Peat Well! Howl's Moving Castle was a complete hit. After the book ended, my daughter said "Oh I don't want it to end! I feel so sad now." which I explained to her is a sign that the book was excellent.

Now, my problem is that the "sequel" book "Castle in the air" is not about Howl. Anyone know what we could try next like that?

I'm reading Uncle, and she likes it, but I don't know how much.
Read the ?2 Howl sequels. Both really good. Howl does appear in them, and he is quite funny.

If your daughter liked Howl, then she will probably like the Chrestomanci quartet, also by DWJ. I read these to my kids.

Read the ?2 Howl sequels. Both really good. Howl does appear in them, and he is quite funny.
Oooh! Then we'll do that. The synopsis on the book has no mention of Howell.

I'm baaaaaak. We've finished the Howl sequels! And now I would appreciate more suggestions for a 4th grader (9.5yo) who is reading 400 page chapter books by herself. I just love to read to her and she loves to listen as part of our night routine. Looking for something that is funny, can be fantasy, can be realistic.