Babylon 5: The Road Home (2023)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
A B5 animated movie is due for release this summer, featuring some of the original cast:

Maybe not the most exciting news - a live action would be better - but appears to be one of a few new B5 projects coming online, and could help bring some younger viewers into the franchise. :)

Oh wow. This is unexpected great news and it's great to see so many of the original cast signed on to play their parts. (Great to see Claudia Christian back as well.)

I'll watch this, for sure.

I'm immediately put off by the premise. Sheridan moving across timelines and meeting up with familiar faces sounds like a very tedious and lazy exercise in character introduction. Probably one for the new B5 fans and less for the older ones. It's not just B5 - I'm really getting sick and tired of time travel being used as an excuse for a lack of a proper plot in SF in general.

No doubt I'll watch it but, frankly with what I've read so far, my expectations are low. Perhaps if this is a success, they go on to make more interesting sequels.

I'm just pleased that some B5 content is heading our way. Time travel was never a huge B5 plotpoint and i've not got the same objections that you do, Foxbat. I think War Without End was possibly the best time travel episode of anything i've seen and I thought it kept each of the threads together very well.

I do worry that something might "retcon" an aspect of the original series, though. I have faith in JMS, though.

I'm just pleased that some B5 content is heading our way. Time travel was never a huge B5 plotpoint and i've not got the same objections that you do, Foxbat. I think War Without End was possibly the best time travel episode of anything i've seen and I thought it kept each of the threads together very well.

I do worry that something might "retcon" an aspect of the original series, though. I have faith in JMS, though.

Hopefully, the animation will be good.

Looks pretty good to me. I will watch and i think i will enjoy it.

Forgot to mention about replacement voice actors: if the white haired man is supposed to be an older Dr Stephen Franklin, he sounded alright; didn't hear enough on G'Kar to make a judgement; interesting that we don't hear Delenn at all; Zathras sounds like they re-used lines from the TV series.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention about replacement voice actors: if the white haired man is supposed to be an older Dr Stephen Franklin, he sounded alright; didn't hear enough on G'Kar to make a judgement; interesting that we don't hear Delenn at all; Zathras sounds like they re-used lines from the TV series.

If successful , maybe they will do more of these films.

Reactions: ctg
Watched this over the past couple of days and pretty much enjoyed it. There's nothing too new here - it connects well with existing episodes, especially the Babylon Squared flashbacks in Season 1 on Babylon 4.

Some liberties were taken visually for the fact that it's an animated film to make it work better (large numbers of Shadows shooting an awful lot of lasers, rather than being menacing just by their presence), but they were easily excused as part of the medium. Additionally, I was a little uncertain about the new voice actors but it was easier than I expected to accept them, especially as everyone looks so different in the new animation style anyway.

Overall, it was a pretty ambitious and would have been a challenge to budget for in a live action film - but if they had even attempted any of it, The Road Home would easily have been the best of the B5 films. A nice nostalgic ride for us existing B5 fans, but I'm not sure how well it'll pick up a new and younger audience - I guess that remains to be seen.

I just ordered the Blu-Ray.

I also preordered the Blu-Ray release of the Babylon 5 series, so a rewatch will hopefully follow.

Got an early Christmas gift, Babylon 5 the series , the movies and the series Crusade . It's not the blue ray Edition but quite frankly, I don't care , Im glad to have it ! :cool:(y)

Watched this over the past couple of days and pretty much enjoyed it. There's nothing too new here - it connects well with existing episodes, especially the Babylon Squared flashbacks in Season 1 on Babylon 4.

Some liberties were taken visually for the fact that it's an animated film to make it work better (large numbers of Shadows shooting an awful lot of lasers, rather than being menacing just by their presence), but they were easily excused as part of the medium. Additionally, I was a little uncertain about the new voice actors but it was easier than I expected to accept them, especially as everyone looks so different in the new animation style anyway.

Overall, it was a pretty ambitious and would have been a challenge to budget for in a live action film - but if they had even attempted any of it, The Road Home would easily have been the best of the B5 films. A nice nostalgic ride for us existing B5 fans, but I'm not sure how well it'll pick up a new and younger audience - I guess that remains to be seen.

Ive seen too , loved it and I give it two (y)(y) up. :cool:

I got the Blu-Ray last week. Unfortunately, it is the series only and doesn't have the movies, or Crusade.

I suspect Christmas will start with a rewatrch. It's going to be interesting to see how it holds up against my idolatry.

I got the Blu-Ray last week. Unfortunately, it is the series only and doesn't have the movies, or Crusade.

I suspect Christmas will start with a rewatrch. It's going to be interesting to see how it holds up against my idolatry.

I watched The Gathering last night . Is a bit rough in comparison to the series that came after but , I still enjoyed it. :cool:

So far, Seen the first three episodes. Pople have often said that the first is season is weak season. I don't agree. ive enjoyed these episodes so far. The acting , writing everything very good. :cool:

LOL. It's not that bad, but there are one, or two absolute stinkers. :LOL: