Any lover of simulation games?

What kind of simulation games?
Life? e.g. The Sims
City builders? e.g. Sim City
Empire builders? e.g. Civilisation
Racing? e.g. Gran Turismo
Flying? e.g. Microsoft's Flight Simulator
Farming? e.g. Farming Simulator

I'm partial to a bit of world domination, so any empire builders get my vote :)

I’d love to get into simulation games, but my mind brain is a bit slow and I struggle with the third dimension that is involved.

Star Wars Squadrons looked like fun, but I suspect Larry Holland’s original X-Wing games would be better.

I’d love to get into simulation games, but my mind brain is a bit slow and I struggle with the third dimension that is involved.

Star Wars Squadrons looked like fun, but I suspect Larry Holland’s original X-Wing games would be better.

I found the TIE Fighter game to be much more interesting, with some great characters and missions. But both games were fun to play, and the level of 'simulation' in adjusting your shields/lasers/engines for the appropriate situation made it feel authentic. The only thing I didn't like was that every mission and every encounter was on a timer, where everything happened at a set time; made it more of a puzzle than anything else. In this respect Wing Commander had the edge.

Star Wars Squadrons is the reason I spent hundreds on VR and peripherals— and lose weekends in a galaxy far far away. There is no way to describe flying sw ships in vr to a Star Wars fan other than to say you become 6 years old again.

Cities Skylines.
I find myself watching traffic and pedestrians moving around and around.
Traffic simulator...

I've had both Cities Skylines and SimCity -- Much prefer Cities Skylines. PC with mods off STEAM you can make anything. It really is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Simulation games is a broad brushstroke and, frankly, you could argue the case for most games to be some type of simulation.

With that in mind, my two favourites are Rule The Waves 2 - research, design and build a navy, persuade the politicians to give you the budget and clean up their mess when they start a war. It's probably best described as the Championship Manager of naval games.

Rule The Waves 3 releases this month and it will be a 'just shut up and take my money' moment for me when it does.

My second one is Shadow Empire - 4X planetary conquest at its very best and probably the most complicated 4X game I've ever come across. Highly addictive and very replayable. It takes months to master and can be frustrating but it's all worth it in the end.