Thoughts On the 1975 science fiction Film Rollerball ?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Produced in 1975 , it was a futuristic film set in the year 2018 , it was later remade into less successful reboot in 2002.

In this film Corpations have taken over the world and have become the government. They allows and spnisre the brutal Sport of Rollerball l which crass between. Roller derby and other sports, the mass live and die by how well their teams do. The game is violent brutal and players can be hurt and even killed , it's a bit like a modern day version of Breads and Circuses . On the Houston Team, their greatest player is Johnathan E . who has become popular and has larger than life and, for corporate suites running the world, this not a good thing because in their minds, no one player should become bigger then the game because, that would become a threat to their power over the masses . So, what they did is try to force Johnathan E into retirement with the idea that once he's retired he'll no longer a threat and will fade into obscurity. However , Johnathan E is having none of this , since he lost wife to high ranking corporate executiv who desired her , he's got nothing else to live for but the game and, is determined to play no matter the the cost . But the corporation responds by changing the rules and making the game ever more dangerous to the point where teammates getting maimed , crippled and killed and in his best fried Moonpie case resided to negative state because, of Johnathan E's stubborn refusal to hang up his skates. This also begs the question of is Johnathan E hero the real hero of this film or not ? Would you rate this a as dystopian science fiction classic?

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
At the time I thought it was brilliant, plus my mates and me were nonplussed at a new term 'bikers'.
It was always motorcyclists to us in the UK back then.

Rollerball came out a couple of months after Death Race 2000, but had a bigger budget and better cast. I loved both films. Still do, honestly. Both films explore the use of violence to control the mob, so in that respect Bread and Circuses fits. What they got wrong was the assumption that there would still be a bored middle class in need of control.

Last edited:
Jonathan... Jonathan... Jonathan...
At the time I thought it was brilliant, plus my mates and me were nonplussed at a new term 'bikers'.
It was always motorcyclists to us in the UK back then.

His motivation to keep on playing caused his teammate , who hd no stake in any of this , to suffered as a result of Jonathan's willful stubbornness. He didn't seem to give their welfare any consideration . His best fiend Moon Pie in hospital, braindead as result of the game Tokyo with no possible hope of recovery , Johnathan wound'n't sing the release and let him die. conceding him to living death. Jonathan was no hero, he was really quite selfish and, even a bit of narcissistic. in his own way, he was really no better than corporate rulers of the world.

Some threads on this which I've responded to already:

I loved this film when I first saw it at the cinema, and I have the DVD though not watched it for a while. It has aged somewhat, but they did get the rise of Corporations correct.

My biggest take was that in [whenever it's set] they still play the Rolling Stones 'Satisfaction'.

Would you rate this a as dystopian science fiction classic?

Oh! Yes!

Is Johnathan E hero the real hero of this film or not?

He isn't a hero. They tried to break him, just as the broke everyone who didn't obey. They didn't count on his stubborness, his popularity, and they had no idea that he was actually just too good at the stupid game they had invented as Bread and Circuses for the masses. But if it hadn't been Jonathan E it would have been someone else eventually. He was just the right person at the right time.

A great film that in some ways is noticeably dated, but in others is perhaps more relevant today than it was back then. For me, the feel of the movie is that it is in the same universe as Soylent Green.

Jonathan is very much an anti-hero, same as 'Cool Hand' Luke. They rebel against conformity and authority, and have little regard for any who stand for or against them. JE is offered a comfortable retirement, and all the trappings of the ruling elite; partying whilst the world around them falls apart. He comes to realise that those in charge are making the game increasingly dangerous for his team, yet he chooses to continue playing because it annoys those who took his wife from him.

A great film that in some ways is noticeably dated, but in others is perhaps more relevant today than it was back then. For me, the feel of the movie is that it is in the same universe as Soylent Green.

Jonathan is very much an anti-hero, same as 'Cool Hand' Luke. They rebel against conformity and authority, and have little regard for any who stand for or against them. JE is offered a comfortable retirement, and all the trappings of the ruling elite; partying whilst the world around them falls apart. He comes to realise that those in charge are making the game increasingly dangerous for his team, yet he chooses to continue playing because it annoys those who took his wife from him.

He should have taken the retirement and as part of the deal, should have asked for the return of his wife. Jonathan had no regard for the welfare of his fellow teammates. Had he quit, the rules wouldn't have gotten changed and lot lives might have spared. This was all about his ego.

Last edited:
Haven't seen it in years, but like it a lot.

And ditto @Dave on the corporations.

It's curious that , all information on the Corporate Wars was so restricted. Why was the corporation afraid to let that information out ?:unsure::(

I read somewhere that between shoots the stuntman passed the time by playing rollerball much to the dismay of the writer and director who thought the game was too violent and from a dystopian future to actually be popular.

I read somewhere that between shoots the stuntman passed the time by playing rollerball much to the dismay of the writer and director who thought the game was too violent and from a dystopian future to actually be popular.

It might have actual caught on as a sport.

It's actually a well thought out sport, and entirely practicable.

If you can have NFL, NHL, boxing and MMA then you aren't a million miles away from Rollerball.

I was disappointed with the book the actual sport was hardly covered, a chapter would end by saying we are off to play madrid, and then the next chapter would start well what a game that was.

On the topic of future sports, has anyone seen the movie 'Salute of the Jugger' (it's also known as 'Blood of Heroes'). Really well thought out sport and a really entertaining movie (starring the late, great Rutger Hauer).

He who controls the past controls the future.

Agreed.

It could be that the information that are withhold has an aspect which undermine them the eyes of the public. It could have to do with how they came to control the world. The producer left this one in pretty vague terms.

Agreed.

It could be that the information that are withhold has an aspect which undermine them the eyes of the public. It could have to do with how they came to control the world. The producer left this one in pretty vague terms.

Yes, I think this is deliberate, so we are left just as much in the dark as Jonathan. Unlike in 1984, the computers don't change the past, they deny it. It's likely that major corporations have purposely bankrupted the governments of the world, before in-fighting left the biggest controlling everything. Now, rather than compete against each other financially or on the battlefield, they do it through team sports. Nations no longer exist, the people 'belong' to bi business companies and are governed not by governments but by executives of those companies. Imagine the company you work for control your life, constantly surveil you and can take anything from you at any time - even your wife.

It seems to me that Rollerball is very much in the world of Robocop. But it seems that either the world itself is coming to an end, or civilisation is on the verge of collapse, which is why I also consider it to be in a world that will soon be that of Soylent Green.