Creatures and beings of myth and fantasy

Harpo

Getting away with it
To mark National Unicorn Day, let’s start a thread dedicated to unicorns, centaurs, chimeras, heffalumps, gremlins, and all the other creatures and beings of myth and fantasy.

And don't forget Cyclopses. Minotaurs, Basilisks and Gorgons.;)

And then there all Gore's favorite mythical creature Man/bear/Pig as seen in South Park :D

And let's not forget the mighty Jackalope which half bunny half deer.:D

George Carlin -- starting with angels but moving on to others...
"What about Goblins? Doesn't anybody believe in Goblins? The only time you hear about them is on Halloween and its always negative sh*t..."

This clip is from "You Are All Diseased" 1999. Did George Carlin launch the Zombie in Movies & TV trend that took hold in the 2000s?

Probably not...but...

And then there all Gore's favorite mythical creature Man/bear/Pig as seen in South Park :D

And let's not forget the mighty Jackalope which half bunny half deer.:D
Jackalope. I thought this was about mythical creatures like the Chupacabra.

[Edit: Warning. The link below is horrifying]

Here is a collection of caught and taxidermy jackalope. What more proof does one need?

Trolls seem to be a Norwegian mascot of sorts. There seem to be a lot of movies about them coming from there. And all the ones I've seen have been a lot of fun.
91hnNYf3IRL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

To mark National Unicorn Day, let’s start a thread dedicated to unicorns, centaurs, chimeras, heffalumps, gremlins, and all the other creatures and beings of myth and fantasy.

Which Nation?

The site isn't clear. England?

Then we have kelpies, selkies, banshees, brownies and leprechauns. Brownies are great, we have one looking after the library in the cracked pot. Leprechauns stay well clear, nasty little creatures, promise you a pot of gold but then borrow some money for a taxi and you never see them or your money again.

The Hydra This one from Jason and the Argonauts.

There is the ever-elusive snipe, hunted by many a young camper.

The nas nas (Yemen) — a leg with a belly /face on top, with an arm sticking out the top of the head. (As represented in my short story Bad Leg :D )

The squonk (indigenous N American) — a huge ugly troll thing made of warts that does nothing but cry. When it’s caught it disappears into a pool of tears

Wild Beast of Barriesdale — Scottish imp like thing with three legs.

I could go on for days … ;)

The nas nas (Yemen) — a leg with a belly /face on top, with an arm sticking out the top of the head. (As represented in my short story Bad Leg :D )

The squonk (indigenous N American) — a huge ugly troll thing made of warts that does nothing but cry. When it’s caught it disappears into a pool of tears

Wild Beast of Barriesdale — Scottish imp like thing with three legs.

I could go on for days … ;)

When I was a kid I was addicted to this book which is where most of my understanding of monsters and crypto started.

Also was obsessed with the Usborne ghost and ufo books

Yes I remember these now! Go-to books when I was a kid. I'm going to have to go out and buy them all again :rolleyes:

This along with a (weekly? bi-weekly?) magazine that you put into a binder called 'The Unexplained'.

There was also a book we had in English at school that helped create stories regarding fantasy creatures such as worgs (or wargs). Can't remember the name of that one though.

I think that my favourite mythical creature (well, at least my favourite mythical story) is/was the Lambton Worm/Wyrm. Again this came from a book, with a memorable picture of a knight resplendent in his shiny armour covered in spikes, fighting a green eel like creature.

Back