Considering the current advances of AI how likely do you think an AI might replace you in your job?

how likely do you think an AI might replace you in your job in 10 years?

• Total voters
I try not to bang my head against the wall every time I see such memes.
Ok , let's assume a person that knows AI will replace workers that don't know how to use AI tools.
The statement misses the forest for the tree. They key question is how many workers will it replace?
1.0 .. well , nothing to worry about.
1.5 ... slightly worrisome.
2 ... that sounds bad.
3 ... crap 2/3 of desk workers will loose their jobs.
I see a lot of inappropriate extrapolations of one statistic to a different population. To say that AI will reduce one person's workload by 5% is not equivalent to saying the 5% of that workforce is not unneeded. I see AI tools as potentially augmenting workers with unknown effects on the number of workers employed.

I also question whether the small number of relatively expensive AI platforms makes it plausible to replace wide spread, day to day activities within organizations. It is kind of like extrapolating how shuttle launches into space could do away with daily traffic jams.

Pardon me, you used the word autonomous. I took you literally. That's the Sheldon Cooper in me. Apologies at the verbiage misunderstanding.
You're the second person that's quoted Sheldon Cooper to me this week. I guess I'm the 'odd man out' when it comes to liking The Big Bang Theory. No apologies necessary. I've been interested in aviation for a long time. Studied it at university (as an elective) and have family in the aviation industry (Air Canada for example) who themselves where in the Canadian Air Forces. I also fly Hobby Grade R/C aircraft (Collective Pitch Helicopters and Airplanes). If you've never heard of Hobby Grade R/C you should check it out. I'll post a video of an F-18 equipped with turbines.

Last edited:
Do you think that AI will react in a way mimicking anger when they are replaced by better AI?
Anger is caused by specific areas in the brain (the Amygdala playing a large role). The only way AI would experience anger is if we designed it to.

Since you brought up the Airbus ... Look at that smooth landing ...

Anger is caused by specific areas in the brain (the Amygdala playing a large role). The only way AI would experience anger is if we designed it to.
Hence the phrase "mimicking anger" -- If AI is trained off of millions of existing records of all sorts, would it's reactions then mimics the reactions recorded by all the people whose jobs were replaced by other AI (including itself)?

And yes, it was meant mostly as a quip, or maybe as a prompt for a short story.

Maybe an origin story for an AI out for revenge!

Here is an awesome essay from ACOUP that describes how ChatGPT really functions, why it isn't really "AI" as people seem to think of AI, and why it isn't nearly as dangerous as its promoters claim it is.

Hence the phrase "mimicking anger" -- If AI is trained off of millions of existing records of all sorts, would it's reactions then mimics the reactions recorded by all the people whose jobs were replaced by other AI (including itself)?

And yes, it was meant mostly as a quip, or maybe as a prompt for a short story.

Maybe an origin story for an AI out for revenge
I suppose A.I. could mimic something if there was a logical reason to. For example, if it was interacting with humans and didn't want to be discovered, I suppose it could choose to mimic their behavior in an effort to deceive them. It wouldn't be much different than a sociopath with psychopathic tendencies feigning compassion or sympathy.

FB_IMG_1680987160979.jpg

I suppose A.I. could mimic something if there was a logical reason to. For example, if it was interacting with humans and didn't want to be discovered, I suppose it could choose to mimic their behavior in an effort to deceive them. It wouldn't be much different than a sociopath with psychopathic tendencies feigning compassion or sympathy.
Advanced computers have been getting angry when replaced by another product since the 1960s, apparently.
1681002588718.jpeg

From the copy:
angry young computer
Our B 200 can outdo any computer in its class. Any computer, regardless of name or initials. So naturally, when it sees a system being bought or leased on the basis of name or initials, the B 200 gets angry...

Advanced computers have been getting angry when replaced by another product since the 1960s, apparently.
View attachment 102430

From the copy:
angry young computer
Our B 200 can outdo any computer in its class. Any computer, regardless of name or initials. So naturally, when it sees a system being bought or leased on the basis of name or initials, the B 200 gets angry...

I can just imagine how that poor computer would feel if it found itself placed next to a modern Smart Phone. Poor thing would develop an inferiority complex.

Thanks... It's kind-of-exciting... but it feels like things are getting out of control.
It feels like one of those times when new technology appears and everyone knows it’s going to be a big part of our lives forever after - the last time I felt this way was in the 90s when the World Wide Web arrived, and mobile phones stopped being a rare toy large enough to prop a door open.
A once-in-a-generation thing, so if we count back every 25-30 years the previous big new thing might be space satellites in the 60s, and so on. The next thing will be a generation in the future, and it probably won’t be anything we can reasonably guess now.

It feels like one of those times when new technology appears and everyone knows it’s going to be a big part of our lives forever after - the last time I felt this way was in the 90s when the World Wide Web arrived, and mobile phones stopped being a rare toy large enough to prop a door open.
A once-in-a-generation thing, so if we count back every 25-30 years the previous big new thing might be space satellites in the 60s, and so on. The next thing will be a generation in the future, and it probably won’t be anything we can reasonably guess now.
I guess the internet combined with mobile devices are more like robots and drones + AI . There is hardware to be built , distributed and connected: satellites, cables, routers.
This stage of the AI is purely software based. The most similar situation I've seen is the launch of Windows 3.0 / 3.1.
Compared to dos Windows was revolutionary, but it was a one-shot thing. In this case we are just beginning an ongoing digital revolution.

House dad so, not likely. I write hard SF setting guides as a hobby-that-pays-for-itself. I don't know if I'm competing with any AI for that - I'm sure AI could, I just don't know of people use them for that much. As long as some people are getting use of what I produce I'm not fussed if AI do it as well - I do it on a pay-what-you-want basis, so I've no problem if someone uses my writing alongside GPT or it's relatives.