The Backrooms (Horror)

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
There is a genre of found footage horror/SF that I've been occasionally keeping an eye out for, and given that it's Halloween, good time to post some stuff about it.

Basically the lore of the back rooms, for those that don't know, is that it is a sort of inter-dimensional space that consists of infinite endless corridors and rooms, empty and austere, 'man-made' (as in clearly aping human architecture) but arranged in weird and unsettling layouts. No open spaces or sky, just rooms lit by artificial light. It's a liminal space that reality pops into existence to cover 'holes', perhaps.

So basically the idea is that people can get 'sucked' into this space and they usually record trying to find a way out - hence a lot of found footage (somehow the phone/camera they are using leaks back into the real world).

However, after a while they notice they are not alone and something walks these empty corridors. Something that you should not attempt to face....

Done well, it is pretty damn creepy. I'll try and find some better ones later on, but here is one to start ya...

I've seen this concept a couple of times now: it's like a mixture of J.G. Ballard and that idea of turning the clipping off that you get in computer games (with a bit of "Little Girl Lost" from The Twilight Zone). In fact, it reminds me of the most frightening game I've ever played: a smallish game called Monstrum, in which you walk about a deserted container ship, looking for a way out and avoiding a monster. When done well, it can be very powerful, although I don't know where you can go with the concept beyond these videos.

Always reminds me of House of Leaves.

Back