Names

Timben

I am in need of a blind old gypsy man who is living in the snowy areas of Northern Siberia. I wrote Drago Gurov. But that name doesn't sound right. Any Suggestions? I apologize forehand I wasn't aware of the ethical slur of calling someone a gypsy.

Names can be anything

98D7AC8A-5601-4DB7-9628-FD9FC4AD7248.jpeg

I call dibs on Hock-Knockler!

When I need an English name, I trawl lower division football players from the 1970s until I find the right name, but for non-English names I go to Wikipedia and find some obscure person from the history of the country or ethnic group.

Therefore, you might find a suitable name by looking up Ruska Roma.

I apologize forehand I wasn't aware of the ethical slur of calling someone a gypsy
Hi, @Timben. I don't particularly like the word, myself, but if you do use it, please capitalise it, as it's a term for an an ethnicity, same as you'd capitalise Slavs, or Berber, or First Nations. If possible, though, use the actual ethnicity, such as Romani (of which there are many groups), Roma, Sinti (German, but people travel). :)

As to Siberia, it's a huge place, running from the North of Russia, down to the South, much of it snowy, at times. Even so, less than 0.1% of the population there is Roma. Of course, as noted before, people travel. If, instead you're looking for someone who is nomadic (a different type of existence altogether from modern-era Roma and Traveller peoples, but often conflated), then you may wish to look at the Tuvan people. Southern Siberia, but bordering Mongolia, so sometimes the coldest place to live, snow, mountains, beautiful steppe grass in the sometimes very short summer, an cold dry spells too.

Alternatively, perhaps you want an ethnic Russian former traveller (perhaps a salesman, or craftsman, or hunter), living in Siberia. In which case, don't forget the patronymic middle name. Aleksandr Ivanovich Nikolayev, for instance -- Aleksandr Ivanovich to the villagers, who might have known his father; Sasha to his childhood friends, and his partner; and Aleks to his drinking buddies, etc.

Back