Showing character emotion

JS Wiig

“Hello, muse?” “Please hold…” *elevator music*
Supporter
In writing the only tools we have are words. Sometimes it can be difficult to demonstrate what a character is feeling using only words. Let’s practice and show off various techniques and tricks we have available for showing character emotion!

The prompt can be a simple setting and emotional state. I’ll start with an example I used in another thread:

beach, angry

Cloey sat on the beach, gritty sand permeating every nook and cranny of her body, grating like sand paper with every move. Crashing waves pounded in her head, like that annoying construction jackhammer that woke her up about two hours too early. She squinted into the sun to see who was coming, but gave up when her eyelids refused to open into the burning glare.

“Margarita?” her friend asked.

She snatched the drink and took a deep swig, choking down the bitter fluid.

driving a car, tired

Gnarraunck.

'Must get that gearbox sorted. What's the story with the radio?'

Clunk. Fizz. '...and if you've just joined us we're looking at the rise of partisan polit...on this day in 1980, the winner takes it all by...the best of talking news right through till the early hours...' Fizz. Clunk.

'Did I drive through Kinnegad? I must've gone through Kinnegad. How could I not have gone through Kinnegad. Why don't I remember?'

Bobbalong Jetpack stuck his head out of the open driver side window and tried letting the blast of air refresh his senses.

'They say talking to yourself is a sign of madness. Why? They never explain these things. What's the story with the radio?'

Bobbalong Jetpack was unaware of it at the time, but late night driving is actually a form of time travel. He was also right with his meandering thoughts. He had not driven through Kinnegad.

'It's been hours since I've seen another car. I need to stop. Why is there nowhere open? To hell with it, I'm just gonna pull in. Twenty minutes kip and then back on the road.'

Bubbalong Jetpack rolled the car onto the side of the road. He pulled up the handbrake, fell asleep, and woke to find himself a long way from his destination. Four fifteen in the morning of the 12th of October 1842 to be exact.

Eating soup, feeling bloated

Eating soup, feeling bloated

She listlessly spooned the beans into her mouth and used her tongue to mash them against her palate. Salt good, need fiber. She dipped the spoon back into the bowl and contemplated taking another bite.

The television droned about something that she wasn't paying attention to until it screeched "but Jenna!" and she wondered how she'd let it drift to that channel. Remote.

Instead of standing up, she clutched the table as her guts protested. "Ow ow... ow. Fask."

Shopping at K-Mart, feeling lonely

Shopping at K-Mart, feeling lonely

Stellar leaned heavily on the horizontal handlebar of the chrome shopping cart, hunched over and steering with his elbows. A handful of Sgt. Pepper's Microwavable Meals-for-One bounced around in the steel basket as one wheel rattled and twisted, grinding against its bearings. He pressed obediently along each aisle, like a hypnotized rat in a familiar maze. He scanned the shelves, his eyes brushing every item, rows and rows of identical objects, reproduced in endless, perfect, duplication.

The aisles were empty; he seemed to be the only shopper. The only sounds were the squeak of his thickly soled space boots against the spotless, ivory linoleum, the incessant rattle of the single, bad wheel, and an instrumental version of an old popular song that sounded brittle and tinny through cheap speakers mounted throughout the ceiling. The song gnawed at Stellar's attention. He knew the song, he recognized the melody but couldn't place it.

Useless objects, made cheaply, poised to fall apart upon removal from this delicately balanced, hermetically-sealed, micro-environment; the K-Mart at the Edge of the Universe. He wasn't look for anything in particular; didn't need anything; his craft was fully-equipped and self-sustaining. No, he had been driving for 20 Billion Light Years and he pulled over because he needed a break and thought he might find some basic human interaction, even if only transactional.

But the place was not only deserted but completely automated; you had to scan and bag your own purchases. Check out was completed with a wordless retinal scan. So, he shuffled up and down each aisle, shuffling his puffy moon-boot feet, searching for some stupid little thing that would delight him for a moment; some thing to entertain him, make him laugh or smile; something to distract him from his ubiquitous boredom; a fleeting cure for the existential nausea. But every honey-bear, every babydoll seemed to turn away from him; legions of identical plastic figures huddling together under the flickering tube lighting, whispering conspiratorially as he approached. Even the boxes and packages hid their labels from him, spurning him, spurning his gaze.

He hummed along absent-mindedly as he scanned his instant dinners-for-one, and then it clicked. "The Girl from Ipanema," he announced aloud to no one. "Of course. A classic ballad to the unattainable woman, Kmart Shoppers. Which is exactly how we find ourselves, at 2 o'clock in the morning, in a Kmart at the Edge of the Universe."

Suspicious at the Ice Cream Parlor

There was something not right with the raspberry gelato. It’s off taste, color and texture was planned by them. Miya looked up from the melting swirl of frozen, slop, and gazed defiantly towards the ice cream parlors staff, still stirring her deliberately tainted desert.

They gave this to me because I’m not full Martian. I’ll just get them to confess.

She got up from the table very staunchly and approached the counter holding the small cup of the melted feud confection out in front of her. Placing it gently down, Miya stood sideways to the counter, looking over her shoulder towards the cashier.

“Yes Ma’am? Can I help you?”

“Yes, you can. What did you do to this gelato?”

“Ma’am?”

“You think that because I’m from Earth and not Mars, you can pass this ‘garbage’ off on me?”

“This?” The cashier asked pointing to the cup in front of him. “Well of course it’s garbage! Half this lot is imported from Earth, and it’s all a hundred percent artificial everything. Says so on the label and it’s even chemically frozen too!”

Miya looked regally at the label that the cashier was pointing at, ‘100% Artificial Everything’ was printed across it.

“Next time ma’am, try the organic gelato. It’s grown and made here in house, and it’s better than any of that Earth stuff.”

She gave a polite, yet slightly condescending nod of her head as she turned to walk out of the shop.

‘Organic’ is just your ploy to get me to pay more for the same thing. If I was on Earth, this would never had happen.

Nervous excitement, sailboat race.

Flarrnaduunk.

Whizz. Clunk.

The Opulon breeze always comes from the South Greenhorn, ya nearly toppled us there. When I say roll out the Jobberon sheet. I mean roll it out at right angles to the wind.

‘Sorry, uh, I didn’t catch your name, erm, skipper. This is just so unexpected and exciting. My head’s buzzing.’

That’ll be the belt ya got from the boom -steady yourself, we’re gonna try to pass the red boat inside of the next buoy.’

It had been a very busy morning -Balderon Flungonrick had never delivered a parcel to the marina before. He couldn’t say if it was an unusual thing to be invited to be a crewmember for an international sailboat race. But that’s what had happened.
Someone had seen Balderon staring at the boats, motioned for him to climb onboard, and handed him a rope.
‘Your job’ll be to furl and unfurl the Jobberon.’

That was as far as the introduction had got.
Just as Balderon opened his mouth to ask what the pay was, a siren sounded and suddenly they were heading out to sea.

Look alert Greenhorn, on my mark. Three…’

‘Sorry, I never got your name, my name’s Balder…’

Two…’

Balderon Flungonrick.’

‘One.’

Flarrnaduunk.

Whizz. Clunk.

‘What is your problem Greenhorn? Ya’ve gone and done it again. Right angle to the wind, why is that hard to understand?’

‘Sorry skipper.’

If you’re not gonna get it right I’m just gonna have to find another random stranger to join the crew once we finish.’

‘Fair enough, I think I’m gonna stick to being a courier anyway -when do we finish?’

‘Hopefully within eight months Greenhorn, now get ready to unfurl again.’

Righteous anger, chess tournament

Dave glared at the tournament assignment chart while clinching his fists and trying to stay calm.

“This is not right; we need to change this.” He said out loud as he approached his tournament director.

“Excuse me?”

Dave took a breath and forced himself to relax, all the while maintaining a proper posture. Looking the director square in the face, he repeated himself.

“I said, you have me assigned to play Kenneth-DEX27. It’s, I mean, he is a cyborg, and the purpose of this tournament is to play ‘either’ a human or computer opponent. Not a cyborg!” Dave was trying to press the moral conflict of the tournament rules, but the director was having none of it.

“Look Dave, his country can’t afford to coach a chess team…”

“But they can afford to augment a twelve-year-old!?” he explained as he pointed to his opponent.

The director sighed, “Dave, he is at your level.”

“At human or computer level? Dave questioned curiously while stepping forward.

“Both.”

Dave straightened up and calmly stated, “Then I withdraw on the grounds of inhuman immorality.”

flower arranging, jealous of friend's wedding

Last edited:
flower arranging, jealous of friend's wedding

Mary bitterly clipped the white and pink roses for her friend’s wedding. It just wasn’t fair that Lisa found her true love so fast! And now they’re getting married. She through the scraps into the trash bin next to her and let out a quiet swear and then irritatingly, yet artfully, arranged a bridal bouquet. Mary smiled as she held the arrangement before herself, the attention will be on the bouquet and not on her friend, just as it should be.

confusion, art gallery

confusion, art gallery

Gustav Cocteau, the world's pre-eminent art critic, stood in front of the newest acquisition by Dallard's Art Haus, his thin fingers stroking his chin as he measured its meaning. The strokes were bold, the colors fierce. It said something about the human condition, this Gustav knew for sure. The loss of innocence? The insane march of progress? A panoply of ideas all wrapped in a single stroke? A tiny bead of sweat trickled from his brow. He was conscious of the eyes of other patrons on him. He cocked his head to the side, to change his perspective. He cocked his head to the other side. He closed his eyes. He opened them again. The colors swirled and contorted into new, undefinable shapes. He cleared his throat - once, twice.

"Clearly," he said, voice lilting upwards, "the artist is sharing her thoughts on human greed."

"And what does she say?"

"She's against it." Gustav turned on his heel and marched away, the colors and shapes still swirling their riddles through his mind.

overjoyed, aquarium

overjoyed, aquarium

Jill could hardly wait to see her grandmother’s aquarium as she clapped her hands quickly while bouncing up and down just as fast! And as soon as her grandmother opened the front door, “Hi grandma! Bye mom!” she swiftly stated as she darted in with the biggest smile on her face!

Running into her grandmother’s living room she soon came upon her goal. And with a loud screeching cry of joy, she broke into her supper happy, happy dance at the sight of the aquarium filled with all her little fishy friends!

relived, farmers market

Last edited:
The Biatal feasa, the source and repository of all human knowledge in one place. Why the Zumboglians thought a root tuber would be a good place to have it was beyond Glump Fabbernangle. But Glump knew that the ingestion of the tuber would instantly cause all the wisdom humanity has ever gathered to mulch into feces. He also knew that would not be a great thing to allow to happen.

Glump parked his car sideways across the R381 access laneway to Tobar Bríd carpark. Parked is probably a generous description. He abandoned his car on the road.

Three people commented. -their comments, in alphabetical order were: ‘Hey!’, ‘What are you doing?’ and ‘You just can't leave that there!’

Glump ignored them. The future of humanity was on the line. Or at least the future of humanity to recognize itself as humanity was at stake.

Glump entered the carpark and ran full pelt into a table of carefully arranged bread. Sending the bread flying. And his body tumbling into a vegetable display.

'Have ye any beetroot?' he shouted.

'Erm, uh, no, we just sold the last of it?' said the surprised grocer.

'Dammit, I'm too late', he wailed.

'Calm down, we've got some lovely organic turnips. Life's not all about beetroot you know', advised the grocer.

'Oh but it is', cried Glump, 'and I think my failure to get hold of some has brought about armageddon.'

'I'm not sure I know what ya mean', noted the grocer.

'One of those roots was An Biatal Feasa. The beetroot of knowledge. If someone eats it then we are all going to die. In a spiritual sense', moaned Glump.

'Right, well, if it's that important to you there's a woman in a blue Ford Fiesta parked outside. She took all of our beetroot. Said she was planning to make juice, if you hurry you should catch her -some flute has blocked the entrance with his car.' said the grocer (who was starting to think his life might be better without his new acquaintance in it).

Glump ran back past the upturned table and briefly wrestled with an angry baker, before stumbling his way to a queue of cars. Third in line was a blue Ford Fiesta. He knocked on the window, and the driver rolled it down.

'Sorry, I can't move, some halfwit has blocked the entrance', replied the woman inside.

'It's a disgrace abandoning a car like that', she added.

‘It’s not’, blurted Glump.

‘Yes, it is’, corrected the woman.

‘Well maybe the driver was more concerned with saving the human race than potentially causing a minor inconvenience’ suggested Glump, ‘can I buy your bag of beetroot?’

‘Absolutely not’, she said. Her voice had a tone or finality about it. Glump peered across to the passenger seat and spotted a paper bar with the stalk of root tubers poking from it. The woman must've disliked something in the way he was staring, because she rolled up the window.

Glump knocked the window a second time. He knew that humanity was safe as long as the woman and the beetroot remained where they were, and as long as his car remained where it was. Which would not be very long.

He knocked on the window a third time.

‘Sorry if i was rude. That’s my car blocking the exit. My mother in law is a veteran of a beetroot gathering communist labour crew. She woke this morning and found herself suddenly afflicted with a debilitating bout of nostalgia. I promised her I’d find something from her past to break the spell. Please help. Beetroot is her only hope.’

‘No’, yelled the woman from inside her Ford Fiesta shield.

‘Ah come on’, pleaded Glump. He was getting frantic. It was now or never.

He knocked on the window a fourth time.

‘Beetroot juice tastes rotten and gives ya the trots, I’ll give ya fifty quid for the lot.’

It was hard to tell if the carrot of cash or the stick of the trots changed the woman’s mind. But her mind changed. And the window opened: -in went a fifty euro note -out went a paper bag of beetroot.

Glump slumped to the ground, his arms wrapped around the vegetables. He had saved the world. And it only cost fifty quid.

Hysterical, Fishing lodge

Hysterical, Fishing lodge:

All Charlie could do was repeat "OhMyGod! OhMyGod!" over and over again, staring at his blood slicked hands. Uncle Bob's boot bobbed jauntily in the hole in the ice, the logo on its sole a maniacal grin, a bit of Uncle Bob's shin sticking out of its tightly laced end.

Depression, car garage

Druff Zontelback was surprised at the speed of the tow truck. It had taken exactly eleven seconds to travel the seven miles from his remote mountain breakdown to Alfie Bardle's workshop. He was even more surprised to discover that Alfie kept no tools or hoists in the workshop. In their stead was a feathered headdress, and a heavy scent of Incense.
However, Druff's most surprised state was unleashed when Alfie donned the headdress, and danced slowly around the car.
Five of dancing minutes passed before Alfie spoke:
'Your car is out of alignment with the cosmos', Alfie said, and shook his head sadly, 'I'm afraid it is severely depressed Mr. Zontelback. In fact, I hate to say it, but this is the worst case of vehicular melancholy I have ever encountered. And I have been practicing alternative engineering for three decades.'

Elation, Fishmongers

First day on the job, Edwin Mustoph found himself as he was laying out a semicircle of fresh Cornish sardines in the ice tray at the front of the counter. Maybe it was the pungent aroma of fresh fish that filled his nostrils, or the way light refracted off their scales like velvet rainbows, or maybe it was the way their wee bodies were arranged in such geometric perfection, each the same width apart, but Edwin felt an overwhelming sense of fulfilment sweep through him.

He gasped.

It was as if time had stopped and the regular hub bub of chatter that filled his waking day fell away and he was bathed in a glorious golden calm that sent waves of joy coursing over his skin. Right here, right now, this was where he was meant to be and everything else - all the stresses and strains of his life outside these four walls, the mortgage, the kids, Mr Plow the milkman - ceased to exist.

He took a fine paring knife and held it up to the light to see his own reflection. His soft eyes sparkled, his lips drawn up at the corners into a childish grin, his skin flushed. As he gazed around his new domain even the drab supermarket colours seemed to burst into vivid life like someone had turned up the saturation of his television set. Everything stood in sharp relief so much he wanted to cry deep, joyous tears that seemed to burst from a well in his chest.

Suddenly, he felt a hand brush softly upon his shoulder and a familiar voice in his ear.

"Is something the matter, Mr Mustoph?"

Edwin beamed his reply, "It's nothing. I just really love this job."

The bridge of the SS Valkyrie, Confusion

Captain Rick ran his hand through his hair as he asked communications to confirm the Klingons request, again. His chief engineer was rubbing his chin while the chief security officer was just standing at her station, with a blank look on her face. The rest of the bridge, other than the Vulcan science officer, where repeating questions in a desperate attempt to get answers from the rest of the crew of the SS Valkyrie.

“Are you sure the Klingons are asking for our visitors ambassador?”

“Yes sir, I have confirmed it with them.”

“And they want us to transport each of our visitors over one at a time,” Rick scratched his temple, “in-order to confirm the ambassador’s identity?”

The communications officer bit her lip and turned back to her station.

In exasperation, Captain Rick looked at his Vulcan science officer. “Any answers, Grelek?”

“I believe I found their food source, sir.”

“Food source? The Klingons want the Tribble Ambassador, not their food source!”

The Vulcan raised a single eyebrow. “Captain, I am unaware that the tribbles have ambassadors.”

“Oh, I’m getting a headache.”

“Sir, the Klingons are requesting the ambassador’s wife as well.”

Nostalgia, Radio studio

Its funny how one tiny moment ripples through time. A snatched glance. The accidental brush of one hand against the other. Everything cascades from that one tiny moment, butterfly wings to a tsunami, pulling marriages and careers and relationships in its wake and dashing them against fate’s rocks.

Twenty-five years. He could barely believe it. The studio walls were different, but it was still recognisably the same space. Acoustic baffles, the kind you see plastered on the walls of radio stations in fifties period pieces, had been replaced by styrofoam blocks cut into myriad forms to combat unwanted reverb. Snakes of cables ran from microphones sloppily arranged on waiting mic stands along the floor to ports drilled into the floor and headphones hung suspended from crudely fixed hooks.

The room smelled the same. Slightly musty, the sweat of a hundred DJ's on a thousand night shifts still saturated the air. The smoke was gone but something lingered that gave everything a distant misty feel like the memory of bonfire nights as a child.

He’d burned everything on the pyre of their friendship.

He could almost see her face reflected in the glass above the console, pen top stuck to her lips, eyes lost in the distance as she mulled over the dope sheet. Pale green pupils would meet his, soften and stay locked in place until the red light shone and the broadcast began. God, how he’d loved that woman. Her laugh. The way she twirled her hair when she spoke. He’d give anything to go back, to set things right between them. If only they’d met first, then things would have been different.

Someone had erected a plaque on the doorway above where her chair had once been. In loving memory – to a trailblazer. The words were a sucker punch to the gut. He took a deep breath and shoved it all back down inside, took a seat at the console as the light above the door turned red and inane words flowed out of his mouth.

On air. On air. Always on air.

Triumph, The gates of Dol-Arnath

Triumph, The gates of Dol-Arnath

Forty years. Forty years of searching, of scars, of defeats physical and psychical, of hemorrhaging his family's once vast fortune. His spouse. His children. But he had found them. In the texts of man they were called Dol-Arnath, but only he knew what it was called in the Old Tongue. That information had cost him as much as everything else. But it was what made it all worth while. He stood under the twin arches, tipped to one side, their yellow color long faded, the temple they once crowned, completely covered in thick twisting vines.

The words and descriptions of the ancient texts long burned into his memory, he searched with his hands, his eyes closed, find his way almost as if he had been here before, been one of the ancient ones, who visited the temple daily, in their magic chariots. His hands found it soon, the mouth of the oracle. Praise be the tentacled one!

Reverently he pulled away the debris and corruption of a thousand years and gazed with wonder at the mouth of the oracle. He bowed before it, and prepared to utter the magic words, fervently hoping his pronunciation would be correct. Very little remained of the the Old Ones and much of the reconstruction of their language had involved inspired guess work and painstaking cross-referencing of the audio-visual records. He crossed his arms and tentacles, and formed his beak in the funnel he had practiced for so long. He channeled air through the funnel, vibrating the air, in that peculiar way the Old Ones were thought to have created their incantations. The incantations that activated the oracle and shaped the universe.

"BURGERANDFRIESPLEEZ"

Jubilation, In front of the Flaming Family Christmas Tree.

Jubilation, In front of the Flaming Family Christmas Tree.

This would teach them! It was going well now. Oh yes!
Up and across the ceiling, like dragons tongues.
Nothing would stop it.
Not a thrown glass of root beer or even that stupid little fire extinguisher he made me stay home and help him hang on the kitchen wall, when I wanted to go to the ball game.
Yay, so fast This fire will eat everything, the whole house, maybe even that dumb light up reindeer on the front lawn.
Pow! Toast, like Flamethrower Man in Tinderbox7. - Dispensing justice.
Fire is the real power.
Never again will they buy me an Xbox 170K when I wanted an Xbox 170T.

(The views expressed above are fictional and probably not those of the author.)

Finding out that you like your enemy rather more than yourself.

Turnip slashed and switched hands in her signature move, hands slipping on the grip. Bluejay, that prick, blocked with a lightshield. He returned with a swift behind-the-heels pull and shove on the shoulders and Turnip fell. Her lasersword knocked out of her hand and he kicked it away. Turnip snarled, in shame and rage.

Bluejay put a foot on her chest and leaned forward. Turnip struggled.

“Stop bullying my sister. If I hear you tormenting her one more time, you’ll end up in the Soup. Registered?” Turnip twisted but his foot remained firm. “Registered?!”

“Yeah! Alright, peace!” Turnip wormed out with faint breath. The boot immediately relented. As sight returned, Turnip sat up, breathing hard. Blinking, she saw that the pair of boots still stood next to her. With a cringe, Turnip looked up. A hand, offering help up. Turnip scowled and pushed herself up. Bluejay crossed his arms and frowned at her.

“Want to talk about why you were doing it?” Turnip could only let out a meep of surprise. Why would Bluejay want to talk to Turnip, after what she did?

“I figured you were doing it for a reason. Tell me why. And no bull.”

Turnip fixed a searching look at Bluejay. Was he for real? Shame ate her stomach. Bluejay, always better than her in everything, and now …kind? It could be a lie to get Turnip to reveal weakness, it could be…but Turnip realized for the first time that her hate of Redbird and Bluejay was jealousy. They were talented, amazing. And Turnip was just a blah vegetable. Tears brimmed.

“Get away from me!” Turnip ran like the coward she was.

Sleepy, In the belly of Godzilla