Interesting article on what happened to Princess Monokone in the US and the differences in outlook between Hollywood and Studio Ghibli

Gaiman recalls a particular meeting with Miramax where they seemed to struggle with the concept of an animated film that didn't hold the audience's hand.

There's one bit in Mononoke that always makes me laugh/groan/roll-eyes, which is when Ashitaka arrives at the heart of the wondrous forest and in the English language version says "This place is magical", a line so spectacularly redundant as to be insulting. (The Japanese voice track is silent, of course.) I've always blamed Gaiman for that, but possibly I was being unfair and it was foisted on him.

How much did it even cost to translate that they felt that they had to go after the lowest common denominator? I did see it in the theater, but I was trying to be a weeb and it had just won an award. Might have even gone to the local theater because of the award. *ponder emoji*

I don't know, it seems like if you're constantly holding an audience's hand, you're just going to have a dumb audience and it'll be hard to make your personal pap stand out if you think it all has to be pap. Since then, we've gotten animated stories that you can let a child watch, but the target audience is more mature.

I watched them (Ghibli) with a much rougher English translation - I was always upset by the changes in Kiki's Delivery Service.

It's quite interesting to watch Ghibli films with the Netflix subtitles - they often tell quite a different story.

It's quite interesting to watch Ghibli films with the Netflix subtitles - they often tell quite a different story.

As in direct-translations? I remember Father of the Pride had "narrowly avoiding pregnancy" in the broadcast CC and I think when Netflix had it, but I guess they re-recorded the line as "getting something pierced."

Mom and I were watching a stream of Penguin Highway and the subtitles were full of "boob" while the dub cleaned it up. I intend to watch Princess Mononoke tonight; a DVD from the aughts.

So is there a DVD version with accurate subtitles in English? (Not a Netflix subscriber.)

I was also interested in the comments on the difference in attitudes to nature between it's fine to regard it all as ours to use (West) and Japan/shinto that says it is just there and isn't there for our use.

Last edited:
As in direct-translations? I remember Father of the Pride had "narrowly avoiding pregnancy" in the broadcast CC and I think when Netflix had it, but I guess they re-recorded the line as "getting something pierced."

Mom and I were watching a stream of Penguin Highway and the subtitles were full of "boob" while the dub cleaned it up. I intend to watch Princess Mononoke tonight; a DVD from the aughts.

I'm relying on my eldest child who has patchy knowledge of Japanese but he says that the Netflix subtitles are closer to the Japanese than the dubbed versions.

Last edited:

Back