Paper Girls - Amazon Prime Video from 29 July 2022

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I've seen virtually no buzz about this, and if it hadn't been for a single tweet about the trailer, I wouldn't have know it existed. I don't have Prime, but am hoping to watch this, maybe round a friend's house. For me it's a much bigger draw than the LOTR series.

Here's the trailer:

If you go to the YouTube page, you will note the very low ratio of like:watched for the trailer. This is undoubtedly because people downvote it thinking it's ripping off Stranger Things. In fact the comic book (to which it seems pretty faithful) predates the Netflix show. But things being as they are, I wouldn't mind betting that without ST's success, this wouldn't have got made, which is a shame as it was always worthy of an adaptation.

Anyway, is anybody planning to watch it? Has anyone else read the graphic novels?

Yes, I just searched for this. The Wikipedia description of the comic it is based on seems promising...I love time travel.
Saw an add on my Amazon Prime while watching Outer Range.

I'll have to check this out, but my first impression of the trailer is that I would rather have a story about the Paper girls growing up in 1988.

I've seen a few advertisements, but nothing that got me interested. What it is about?

I read a few of the graphic novels and I think it's great. Can't wait to see it; I'll have to watch it at my mom's as I don't have Amazon Prime. She liked Stranger Things, so she'll probably like this.

I watched the first episode yesterday and was not impressed. It wouldn't be the first time I didn't get hooked until a few episodes in. :unsure:

I haven't and "Dark Comedy" sounds perfectly dreadful to me. The capper is, I don't have Netflix.
Pity about Netflix. The suggestion was a bit flippant, but Derry Girls is really life- affirming, as well as being clever and very funny. Dark comedy is the last thing I would think of calling it.

Pity about Netflix. The suggestion was a bit flippant, but Derry Girls is really life- affirming, as well as being clever and very funny. Dark comedy is the last thing I would think of calling it.
I was quoting the blurb I found googling Derry Girls. Now, life-affirming, clever, and very funny, sound right down my ally. But still no Netflix.

I've been watching this - found the first episode a little slow, second speeded things up, third episode really upped the pace even more. Then it slowed a moment to develop the characters a little more, speeded up again, and now I'm near the end.

So far it's actually a really enjoyable series - the ways its filmed is superb and the acting is absolutely brilliant. I was worried at first at how dark it might go, but aside from a lot of swearing it doesn't go anywhere nasty.

Looking forward to the last two episodes. :)

Back