Gollancz Open Door 2022

Can't help you with this one, but it's very regular that open windows last a lot longer than the indicated 3 months (I was in that went from 3 months to 18....)
Hey thanks for the swift reply! I received an Email back in March saying that I’d made it to the next round, but nothing a since then. Hope springs eternal.

Hey thanks for the swift reply! I received an Email back in March saying that I’d made it to the next round, but nothing a since then. Hope springs eternal.
They did keep to their original time estimate for the initial sift-through, so hopefully it won't be too long. Make sure you check your spam folder to be on the safe side. And congratulations on getting to the next stage!

Has anyone else heard from Gollancz since then? They said they’d follow up on the works that made it through the last round in three months and that date has elapsed…
They posted on Twitter a small update on July 6th. They are either behind or staggering responses, not sure which.

Unagented Submissions announcement!
To those of you who made it to the second round of consideration and have not heard back from us yet, we are still working through your submissions. Please be patient with us

If you have not received an email from us since the confirmation of your submission being received please check your spam folder! It usually likes to gobble us up

Update via their Tumblr says they're still working through submissions. @WillowTreeBough if you're still around.

We are occasionally open to unsolicited/unagented submissions, however as we are still (shamefully) working through our last batch - thanks to a grave underestimating of how many we would get, and overestimating of how much time we had around everything else - I can’t say for certain when we plan to re-open them.

- Posted on Oct 20th.

Yet another update on their open submissions period via tumblr, posted yesterday.

Text:

To The Asker Who Messaged About the Open Subs:​

I saw your message come through over the weekend and was going to answer it today, but for some reason Tumblr, cursèd webbed site, has deleted it! I'm sorry I'm not able to reply directly.

Congratulations on making it through to the second pass round! We got nearly 1500 submissions, which is why it has been taking so long to get through them all.

Everything that got through to the second round is getting a deeper read, and we are getting back to people individually when we have read it. I currently have four loaded up on my Kindle for reading.

Unfortunately, alas, there are only six of us (and for a few months only four of us), and we're also trying to cram in All The Other Things that work requires of us (boo hiss). We were young, naive, foolish, and in the midst of a bright summer when we imagined reading through submissions, and were delighted we got so much interest! Unfortunately it turned into a bit of a Battle Royale between "How wonderful, lots of books!" and "how many hours are there in a day?

So all I can promise is that hopefully you will hear soon, and just be really contrite that we didn't get through them more quickly!

This makes it sound like they're staggering responses, which is something I suspected before. Does that mean some people have already gotten their offers or rejections from the second round? Or how is this supposed to work from here on out?

Anyone have experience with open submissions?

Yet another update on their open submissions period via tumblr, posted yesterday.

Text:

This makes it sound like they're staggering responses, which is something I suspected before. Does that mean some people have already gotten their offers or rejections from the second round? Or how is this supposed to work from here on out?

Anyone have experience with open submissions?
Hey thanks for the update! I haven't heard anything from them yet, and since then have written an entire other doctoral dissertation, but I live in hope to one day hear back from them.

Hi all. I'm new here. Searching for news or updates about the Gollancz Open Door brought me here! It's almost 2 years now and still no news for some of us waiting for the second round. I wonder if they'll do a third round and it will be another couple of years lol?

I haven't seen anything more on their Tumblr or on Twitter, though someone on there did mention speaking to an editor about their submission at the fest they had. Has anyone heard anything else since?

I can't believe Gollancz have taken this long to reply to hopeful authors. In 2022 I thought I had no prospect of getting my novel published. Now it's 2024 and my second one is due to be published later this year. (Both novels were published by publishers.) I would not be surprised if some of the authors still being considered end up withdrawing their submissions and getting them published elsewhere.