A Passage from Henry Miller.

worldofmutes

A big metal fan
Over many passing years, I have never met an author that I bonded with so circumspectly than with Henry Miller.

I like this passage from Sexus:

“The great joy of the artist is to become aware of a higher order of things, to recognize by the compulsive and spontaneous manipulation of his own impulses the resemblance between human creation and what is called ‘divine’ creation. In works of fantasy the existence of law manifesting itself through order is even more apparent than in other works of art. Nothing is less mad, less chaotic, than a work of fantasy. Such a creation, which is nothing less than pure invention, pervades all levels, creating, like water, its own level. The endless interpretations which are offered up contribute nothing, except to heighten the significance of what is seemingly unintelligible. This un-intelligibility somehow makes profound sense. Everyone is affected, including those who pretend not to be affected. Something is present, in works of fantasy, which can only be likened to an elixir. This mysterious element, often referred to as ‘pure nonsense’, brings with it the flavor and the aroma of that larger and impenetrable world in which we and all the heavenly bodies have their being. The term ‘nonsense’ is one if the most baffling words in our vocabulary. It has a negative quality only, like death. Nobody can explain nonsense : it can only be demonstrated. To add, moreover, that sense and nonsense are interchangeable is only to labor the point. Nonsense belongs to other worlds, other dimensions, and the gesture with which we put it from us at times, the finality with which we dismiss it, testifies to its disturbing nature. Whatever we cannot include within our narrow framework of comprehension we reject. Thus profundity and nonsense may be seen to have certain unsuspected affinities.

Thoughts?

I thought the opening paragraphs of Tropic of Cancer were pretty cool, when I was 18, to the extent that I wondered off to Paris one summer to sit in Montmartre cafes to try to channel the vibe. Possibly a little less romantic now, but it was fun, way back then.

1652700554300.png

Is there? That sounds like something I would want to watch, but the algorithm never shows it to me. I think that is half of Netflix's problem right there!
I know -- when I've been to friends' houses and seen what Netflix is suggesting to them, I've never been shown any of it!

It's called "Henry Miller: Prophet of Desire".

Thoughts?

Jorge Luis Borges would have subscribed to this part: "In works of fantasy the existence of law manifesting itself through order is even more apparent than in other works of art. Nothing is less mad, less chaotic, than a work of fantasy." Borges strongly defended that fantasy wasn't just an "orgy of the imagination", as he put it, but a genre built on rigorous logic.