April 2022 Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and it’s terrific. I read it about 10 years ago and enjoyed it very much. I read the second autobiographical book of Lee’s (As I Walked Out One Midsomer Morning) about 30-35 years ago and loved it also. It covers his journey walking around Spain in the 20’s. The third covers his part in the War but I’ve not read it yet.
Agree. Absolutely brilliant. The classic case of a book which was totally boring at school, and which was transformed when I picked it up 30 years later. The whole trilogy is wonderful, as is A Rose in Winter, in which Lee returns to an impoverished post-war Spain to revisit his old haunts. The quality of the prose is very striking.

Reading John Burke's Rasputin the Mad Monk novel adaptation.
I love his books. They are so breezy quick reads.
You have the movie script turned into prose but he adds little embellishments that liven it up.
I read his Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, Dracula-Prince of Darkness, the Reptile.

Plague of the Zombies is next.

I'm rereading Peter Watts's Starfish. I only liked the first book of this trilogy, but I remember it not necessarily needing any sequels.

I have a question... I found mitch rapp about the same time i found Scott harvatt... However i never could empathise with those books... Too unrealistic? I don't know honestly. Does anyone feel the same? The books on valens legacy by Jan stryvant are quite fun

Taking a break from everything to read this:
CFFF50F0-F415-4BF2-92AF-A464682814FE.jpeg

Yes, and it’s terrific. I read it about 10 years ago and enjoyed it very much. I read the second autobiographical book of Lee’s (As I Walked Out One Midsomer Morning) about 30-35 years ago and loved it also. It covers his journey walking around Spain in the 20’s. The third covers his part in the War but I’ve not read it yet.
Not sure I'm gonna make it to the end to be honest. 2 chapters down and I'm overwhelmed by the mundanity of it and florid writing. You can tell the writer is a poet ...:/

Re Cider with Rosie
I've yet to read it. One day...
A while back I read the second (As I walked out...) and really liked it. I also realised it was the probable reason at least two people I knew went hitchhiking in Europe with nothing much else except a violin (played briefly at school) back in the early 70s.
More recently I read the third and thought it really good, the more so because it cast an unusual (to me) perspective on the awfulness of Spain 1936-9.

‘Florid’ doesn’t sound like Laurie Lee, to me.
Me neither. Economical, precise and beautiful prose as far as I am concerned.
I can see why some find Cider a bit dull. As I Walked Out has a more structured narrative (Lee walks to the south of Spain), and is probably my favourite.

Up next GORE VIDAL books.
i never read him, is he any good? i think i remember someone saying that he could have great if he just put a bit more effort... but i'm not sure it's about him...

just re read one of the posts and realize that i wasn't clear enough
I have a question... I found mitch rapp about the same time i found Scott harvatt... However i never could empathise with scott harvath books... Too unrealistic? I don't know honestly. Does anyone feel the same? The books on valens legacy by Jan stryvant are quite fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back