To take daily aspirin or not?

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
A very good clear analysis on the risks and benefits of daily aspirin.
I'm sure quite a few of us do and this combined statistical research really helps one decide.
Based on the data my questions were answered I will be carrying on with those little yellow boxes.
I hope people find it useful. :)

I'm a believer in food as medicine. Oily fish, for a start, helps a range of conditions, incl. heart health, AFAI can remember.
This looks good re blood thinners.

Although it does mention Gastro Intestinal bleeding, it’s not particularly specific. So I’ll just mention that, as a person who has suffered a duodenal ulcer in the past, it is not recommended that I should take aspirin on a daily basis. Anybody who has had a similar condition should consult their GP before doing this.

When we lived in Manchester, 40 years ago, our next door neighbour collapsed and had to be rushed to hospital.

He had taken an aspirin every day if his life for as long as he could remember. The lining of his stomach had been damaged and he’d been bleeding internally for years. He had to go on a special diet for the rest of his life.

Although it does mention Gastro Intestinal bleeding, it’s not particularly specific. So I’ll just mention that, as a person who has suffered a duodenal ulcer in the past, it is not recommended that I should take aspirin on a daily basis. Anybody who has had a similar condition should consult their GP before doing this.
This^.

Rather than self medication, I'd speak to your GP first and consider your own family medical history i.e. did your father and grandfather die of heart attack or of internal bleeding. All medicines have side effects (even "foods as medicines" too.) However, statistically speaking on the population as a whole, the evidence for taking Aspirin is pretty solid and has been for some time.

This^.

Rather than self medication, I'd speak to your GP first and consider your own family medical history i.e. did your father and grandfather die of heart attack or of internal bleeding. All medicines have side effects (even "foods as medicines" too.) However, statistically speaking on the population as a whole, the evidence for taking Aspirin is pretty solid and has been for some time.

I think there’s such a thing as ‘coated aspirin’ where the aspirin itself isn’t released until it has passed out if the stomach and so avoiding damage.

I've had one daily (on prescription) for 11 years, along with other meds, ever since I got a pacemaker

This^.

The what now??
ETA. Though, upon reflection, I'd say Cool Hand Luke's cellmates, suffered significantly after he ate those 50 eggs - for a good 48 hours or more later! (So both bet winners and bet losers, untimely became losers, odour wise...(but of course, inspirationally, all won))). If it had been 50 Aspirin's , life probably would have been easier for all concerned (except, I would imagine, poor Luke)

Last edited:
There are special reasons to take asprin. (See Danny above.) Other than age,I do not have them, but it was recommended.
I stopped taking it after I committed what I thought was a minor slice on my hand attempting (stupidly) to chop a frozen chicken into its component parts. Couldn't stop the bleeding and ended up in the emergency room. Although they sympathized, it did provide satisfaction to my spouse and daughter, each of whom had warned me that my attempts at dissection were dangerous.

But willow bark is also a blood thinner. It contains very similar salicates, potentially causing stomach bleeding, irritation, inflammation etc.
If taken irregularly it does not cause the above. But that's pretty much true of asprin also. Either way, I stick to acetaminophen, a step safer. There's also ibuprofin.
If you need something as a blood thinner, get expert advice.

Last edited:
But willow bark is also a blood thinner. It contains very similar salicates, potentially causing stomach bleeding, irritation, inflammation etc.
If taken irregularly it does not cause the above. But that's pretty much true of asprin also. Either way, I stick to acetaminophen, a step safer. There's also ibuprofin.
If you need something as a blood thinner, get expert advice.
Indeed. If I have a headache I take paracetamol or ibuprofen, depending on the type of headache

there’s such a thing as ‘coated aspirin’ where the aspirin itself isn’t released until it has passed out if the stomach and so avoiding damage.
I wasn't thinking of stomach ulcers though, but eophageal varices and hemorrhagic strokes. I'd still say to consult a doctor first and to have regular reviews.
The what now??
There is no difference in the effects of taking a synthesised chemical and exactly the same chemical found in a part of a plant. Why should there be? That's just biochemistry!

There could be a combination of chemicals in the natural product that work in conjunction. However, in the case of salacin, found in willow bark, it is very irritating to the stomach, so Felix Hoffmann of the Bayer company looked for an alternative and synthesised acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) in 1898, which was found to be an improvement over all other salicylates.

I have been taking 1 coated 81mg aspirin daily since '07, along with several other drugs. Keeps me alive. I don't take aspirin for pain relief though, just acetaminophen, what y'all across the pond call paracetamol.

That said, I also take care to not have an empty stomach when I take it.