For generations, country family use spacewarp in woods as short-cut

Billy.Oblivion

I believe I read this short story in an anthology circa 1975-1980. It's about a family that lives out in the woods (USA, present-day-ish) and for generations they've had a family secret about a 'short-cut' through the local woods that cuts significant time/distance off of a trip into town. One day some government guys come around asking questions about a 'fuzzy' spot in some satellite photos. I believe it ended with the government guys investigating on their own and getting hopelessly lost.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

There is something reminiscent of Simak's "Neighbour", but too many differences.
In "Neighbour", a new farmer moves into the valley and it becomes obvious to the reader that he's a well meaning alien keen on the quiet life. Then a reporter turns up because in the course of researching some farming articles, he's noticed something unusual about the valley - no sickness, perfect weather, fantastic crops - and in investigating further has noticed anomalies about the alien farmer. However, when he sets out to leave the valley he can never find his way out. It's all very benign and idyllic.

I hope someone can identify the short story as I'd like to read it.

I hear you guys about how it sounds like something Simak might have written. But it's not Neighbor and it's not Way Station.

It's probably pretty common when people come here looking for an old book or story, but - yeah, I'd like to read it again myself! :)

Probably not the one, but there is a RA Lafferty story called, I think Narrow Valley which is in the same vein.

It's not one of the "Hogben" stories by Henry Kuttner, is it? Mutant hillbillies with psychic powers.

I've only read one of the Hogben stories - I'd love to read the others but the collected edition is seriously pricey and I haven't got round to tracking the others down. They're narrated in "Kentucky hillbilly" and set in the "Kaintuck" Hills.

Well, I've just read four of the five Hogben stories (many thanks @sueelleker for getting my curiosity going) and it's definitely not a Hogben story. The other Hogben story, "The Old Army Game" is only tenuously related to the others, was never anthologised, and only appears in two Kuttner collections, one in 1988, the other in 2013.

Last edited:
There's a Stephen King story called something like "The Short Cut", which involves a car driving through this kind of portal, but I don't think it's the same thing. It also reminds me of Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood, but that's a novel and very British in setting. Might it be one of Charles Grant's Oxrun stories?