Cats in Science Fiction

I'm a cat and dog person. My cat, Honey Bee, loves to model. Here she is in her Halloween Costume:

honeybee.png

Given how The Door Into Summer is my favorite Heinlein it only makes sense for Pete to be my favorite fictional feline. The ?chiral? cat in Doorways In the Sand doesn't ring a bell. The story needs a re-read.

When I think cats and SF, I think Leiber. Whether it's The Wanderer or The Green Millennium or "Space-Time for Springers" and other Gummitch stories collected in Gummitch and Friends and Kreativity for Kats.

Incidentally, the last book I read was James L. Cambias' The Godel Trigger, which includes an uplifted cat (though she's a bad cat).

I love the Tree Cats in Weber's Honor Harrington stories. But they are most definitely more than "merely" a cat. Probably best described in the book Changer of Worlds, in the later Honorverse books they begin to actively hunt Manticore's enemies.

changer of worlds.jpg

Kate Orman's The Year of the Intelligent Tigers was quite a bit of fun. I wish she was still writing novels.

Year_of_the_Intelligent_Tigers.jpg

I'm a cat and dog person. My cat, Honey Bee, loves to model. Here she is in her Halloween Costume:

View attachment 86120

Given how The Door Into Summer is my favorite Heinlein it only makes sense for Pete to be my favorite fictional feline. The ?chiral? cat in Doorways In the Sand doesn't ring a bell. The story needs a re-read.

It's aerodynamically impossible for a cat to fly.

I love the Tree Cats in Weber's Honor Harrington stories. But they are most definitely more than "merely" a cat. Probably best described in the book Changer of Worlds, in the later Honorverse books they begin to actively hunt Manticore's enemies.

View attachment 86121
The very first SF book I read had an alien with a psychic pet.

Star Surgeon by Alan E Nourse

I wonder if I like the Harrington series because of that.

The Master and Margarita is suspiciously reminiscient of science fiction… I don’t know why. But I love Behemoth.

A YT channel that I like just released a video about cats in mythology. I believe the people from this thread will be interested on it:

There's also Naomi Kritzer's short story Cat Pictures Please in which a superintelligent AI meddles in human affairs to get them to do what it really wants - posting pictures of their cats on the Internet.

I've not read it but I think she also did a novel with a similar premise.

Apparently the same is true of bumble bees.

They were considered areodynamically unable to fly, but everyone knew that there must be something wrong with our modeling. The mystery has been solved about a decade ago.

The aerodynamics of bumblebee flight were solved in the early 2000s, and modern computational fluid dynamics can accurately model insect flapping flight (Young et al., 2009, Science). The key is unsteady aerodynamics and leading edge vortices.

https://www.animal-dynamics.com/ad-blog/the-bumblebee-flight-myth#:~:text=Since%20they%20do%20fly%2C%20there,conventional%20aerodynamic%20methods%20should%20allow.&text=The%20key%20is%20unsteady%20aerodynamics%20and%20leading%20edge%20vortices.