Reading plans for 2022?

Extollager

Do you have particular noteworthy expectations or even intentions for 2022 reading?

I expect I’ll read at least four Aubrey and Maturin novels, continuing a reading of the whole series. I’m up to the 14th, The Nutmeg of Consolation. I’ve never read a Mary Renault novel but I’ve got an eye on The King Must Die as a first one. I expect to read several travel books or closely related books, e.g. an account of field archaeology. I’m looking a lot at old fanzines scanned at fanac.org, and expect to follow up leads from these vintage zines.

I'd like to read 25 books this year. (Not sure how many I read in 2021. Good reads has me at one, so that's an app that's clearly not working.)

I have Adrian Tchaikovsky's Eyes of the Void and Neal Asher's Weaponized on pre-order for download.

(I might look for signed first edition hardcovers of Shards of Earth and Eyes of the Void.)

I'm currently reading Dust by Hugh Howey, so it'll be nice to finish the Trilogy.
Finish the Expanse series by James S. A. Corey. (I've read up to book 7 Persepolis Rising)
I'm keen to read at least two classic SF titles this year. I think something by Ursula Le Guin (i read so much about her and haven't read anything of hers.) I also want to read A Canticle for Leibowitz.

That's it for me. I'd like to finish F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack (Last Christmas) and Adversary Cycle (Signalz) books, but i'm saving them for some reason.

Last edited:
I hope to get to these fairly early in 2022:

Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
Something More than Night by Kim Newman
The Searching Dead and Born to the Dark by Ramsey Campbell
-- first two novels in Campbell's trilogy, revisiting his early Lovecraftian fiction; the third is due in March and I've pre-ordered it

Beyond those, I hope to get to,
Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailley
The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward
The Dragon Waiting by John Ford

After that, it's catch as catch can.

No burning needs at the moment. I think I might be a bit jaded at the end of another peculiar and tiring year.

As an opportunist buyer of used books I will see what turns up at the local used book stores, or what catches my eye in Hay-on-Wye, rather than waiting for any particular publications.

Conversations on this site sometimes lead me to new, unexpected stuff, which can be refreshing.

I may get to Brussels in the spring, which if it happens, will be my first overseas travel since 2019. Whilst there I will stock up on bandes desinees. Brussels has some very nice bookshops.

Apart from that I have a few Wodehouse in the reading pile as well as half a dozen editions of Petits Propos Culinaires, a slightly eccentric food journal I have started to pick up on eBay from time to time.

Last edited:
Too many plans. The very top of the list:
Expanse 4-9
Shadows of Eternity by Gregory Benford
Galaxias by Stephen Baxter
Amid the Crowd of Stars by Stephen Leigh
Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi
Prison of Sleep by Tim Pratt
Wayward by Chuck Wendig

My wife got me the Folio Society’s printing of His Dark Materials trilogy and the first book of The Book of Dust, both by Phillip Pullman. I have a busy year ahead of me, but I hope to get a good bit of reading done this year!

Attachments

• 5A0A8FB6-063B-44FE-9128-DB3580DD4348.jpeg
    5A0A8FB6-063B-44FE-9128-DB3580DD4348.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 113
  • 38B7B76D-C41A-4179-8911-4DB45CCB00EC.jpeg
    38B7B76D-C41A-4179-8911-4DB45CCB00EC.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 105
I hope to start a project of reading or re-reading all the volumes of the annual "Year's Best" SF/F/H series which began in 20th century America (with an asterisk on the Bleiler/Dikty series). This probably won't happen and would take just a little longer than 2022 even if it does, but it's a nice dream.

General plan: Apply eyes to book. Repeat until 2023. (I already know my plan for 2023!) I don't have much luck with more specific plans: if I start a book that I Absolutely Must Read when I'm not in the mood for it, the bookmark ends up leaving a silhouette on the yellowing pages. Some It'd Be Nices: "Invisible Sun" by Charles Stross, the "Liveship Traders" series by Robin Hobb (though I said that last year) and generally more books on traditional board games if I can find them.

I hope to start a project of reading or re-reading all the volumes of the annual "Year's Best" SF/F/H series which began in 20th century America (with an asterisk on the Bleiler/Dikty series). This probably won't happen and would take just a little longer than 2022 even if it does, but it's a nice dream.
The asterisk meaning....?
R.0a4f88f00d09f87717a862b80ec25d0a

I hope to read several dozen good books in 2022. I've had my eyes set on a number of books on Amazon, but haven't purchased them yet. Maybe now is the time?

I think probably similar to last year:
  • At least one Dickens novel
  • At least one Twain book
  • Vanessa by Hugh Walpole
  • Lots of good SF, with some occasional fantasy to mix it up; and specifically:
  • Complete my read through of the Dune series
  • Re-read some more Asimov