Use of That

Wayne Mack

What is your feeling on the word 'that?' I know some people will repeatedly omit it as an unnecessary word, while, to my ear, it is a necessary connector between phrases. For example,

Alice knew the police were coming.
vs.
Alice knew that the police were coming.

It can help a line to flow, but in that particular sentence I'd definitely delete it -- it produces a better rhythm and crisper line without it, both of which propel the reader on, and give an edge to the information being delivered.

It might depend on what the context is.
In such a case as this.
Alice knew that the police were coming, but also knew he'd die without her help.

To me, flows as well as.
Alice knew the police were coming, but also knew he'd die without her help.

But could also be.
Alice knew the police were coming, but also knew that he'd die without her help.

When I write I use that word far too often such that I often have to go through and remove that word in many places on that first review of my writing.

Sounding better is in the "ear" of the reader (and that of the writer at the time they're writing and reviewing what they've written).

What's paramount is that the reader knows what the writer meant**; beyond that, all sorts of other things come into play, all (or virtually all) of which are a matter of style and personal preference.

** - Unless the writer wants something to be unclear (though I doubt this applies to the sentence being discussed).

In Garner's Modern American Usage (Oxford 2003), Garner says, "As a relative pronoun or relative adverb, that can be suppressed in any number of constructions... {b}ut in formal writing that is often ill-advisedly omitted, creating a [miscue]," while also acknowledging that those who delete it excessively seem to be overreacting to others who use it excessively. He then quotes a sentence with five thats which he then revises so that it uses one.

An excellent example where "that" is very useful is "the Karcher group claimed the property was worth $2 million" when "claimed the property" is a common phrase that makes it easy to momentarily misread the meaning. While less extreme, "Alice knew the police were coming" makes it possible to wonder if "that" or "who" was omitted. If Alice knew Dick and Jane the cops, then the intent might have been to say "Alice knew the police who were coming." To put it another way, "Alice knew the police" could be a complete clause that allows the reader to sense completion and look for the next unit of meaning. "Alice knew that" can't and signals that the reader needs to read on for the sense. As you say, it can be a necessary connector.

It seems like there ought to be a simple rule based on something definite, but I don't know of one and Garner doesn't seem to either so, as others have said, it seems to be a matter of taste (which may vary between English and American audiences) and probably shouldn't be judged in isolation. If the context makes the meaning clear, if it's unlikely to produce a "claimed the property" sort of misread, and if it improves the flow of the writing, then omit it. Otherwise, include it. While I might omit it in context, in the above isolated case I'd leave it in. Alice knew the fact, not the people, so she knew 'that' the police were coming.

What about the double usage of "that" in a sentence? What are peoples' thought on that? I've noticed it a lot more in older books, not so much in newer ones.

Here's an example:
Person A walked into the library and immediately noticed a sign that read NO TALKING. Person A thought it strange, they had not been to a library before, but they did not know that that was a rule.

What about the double usage of "that" in a sentence? What are peoples' thought on that? I've noticed it a lot more in older books, not so much in newer ones.

Here's an example:
Person A walked into the library and immediately noticed a sign that read NO TALKING. Person A thought it strange, they had not been to a library before, but they did not know that that was a rule.
Here is a little about "that that" (also "this this" and "is is"). The author seems to say that one should avoid this usage by rewording the sentence. As a reader, I would agree and find the double word causes me to stop reading and consider the grammar. The Grammarphobia Blog: “This this” and “that that”

Back