Modern Fantasy Authors. No Self Promotion, Please.

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
I need some recommendations for newer authors, suddenly realised I haven't really picked up a book that is from a newly published author. Majority of current ones on my radar have been around more than five years.
I'm not after older works, well aware of the majority of them.

I want the little gems from brand new authors.

Please don't use this thread to try and promote your own work.

The Lines of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
The legend of the First Empire series by Michal Sullivan spans Six books and is complete
The Golem and Jinni by Helen Wecker
1.Map of Time
2.Map of the Sky
3.Map of Chaos
all by Felix j. Palma
The Dragon Waiting by John M Ford

All authors that have been around for awhile and I'm familiar with apart from Helen Wecker, I'm looking for more recent, something within the last 2- 3 years.

ops sorry.:oops:

=
I will be checking out Helen Wecker.

She's quite good .

Given my penchant older writers , that list represents the most recent stuff ive read . Given how out of date my selections are, Im trying to catch up with everyone.

I have Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo . But that one not very recent either. Other then the fact it's tv series, know nothing about this author

Nixie, I'm not sure I have a feel for your taste in fantasy. That said, I have enjoyed works by Theodora Goss, Angela Slatter and Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I've only read a book of short stories by Slatter and one novel, Mexican Gothic, by Moreno-Garcia, but intend to read more. Goss short stories in In the Forest of Forgetting spurred me to read her trilogy about the Athena Club.

I know what you mean, looking at my recent purchases the newest author in the list was Mark Lawrence, his firs book Prince of Thorns was published in 2012.
I've always prided myself in given new authors a chance. Then I realised I've fell off in doing this the last few years.

Nixie, I'm not sure I have a feel for your taste in fantasy. That said, I have enjoyed works by Theodora Goss, Angela Slatter and Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I've only read a book of short stories by Slatter and one novel, Mexican Gothic, by Moreno-Garcia, but intend to read more. Goss short stories in In the Forest of Forgetting spurred me to read her trilogy about the Athena Club.
I've ordered the Goss books will give them a whirl.

Debut fantasy novels I've enjoyed in the last couple of years are:

- The City of Brass (plus the other two books in the series) by S.A. Chakraborty. Has some fairly standard epic fantasy elements but I think the series gets more interesting as it goes along and I like the Arabian Nights-inspired setting.
- The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow. An entertaining portal fantasy, I do intend to pick up her newest book (not a sequel to this) at some point as well.
- The Pendulum Sun by Jeanette Ng. A weird but compelling story of brother-and-sister missionaries from Victorian England trying to find converts in a faerie realm. Not sure it will be to everyone's taste but I thought it was very impressive for a first novel.
- Resurrection Men by David Craig. Urban fantasy set in 19th Century Glasgow where a couple of grave robbers find their corpse seems to have wandered off on its own.

One I just finished and loved is The Last Sun, book 1 in the Tarot Sequence by KD Edwards. It's urban fantasy, but with a displaced Atlantean society that now exists in Nantucket, USA and uses the tarot card arcana to name the royal houses. It has some cool magic and really great characters. (I have book 2 on order from the library, and book 3 comes out this year.)

I loved Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir; I need to read the second and third in the trilogy now. It's a sort of fantasy/sci fi mix (fantasy, but in space). If you like necromancy and fantastic dialogue, this one's a winner.

Both of these are recentish; I think they're both within the last 5 years.

For more trad fantasy, I second City of Brass.

AJ Fitzwater - Cinrak the Dapper and No Man's Land.
Cinrak is charming, funny and a little daft. About a lesbian capybara pirate. The bit with the phoenix is the kind of funny that could make you spray tea up your monitor. (I came close).
No Man's Land is set in South Island NZ and is historical fantasy and romance - with a quite big magic scene in it. Darker than Cinrak

Juliet McKenna - Green Man series. JM has been around awhile, this is her new series since ending Einarin and is a rural fantasy as opposed to urban fantasy. Plenty of English myths woven around a carpenter and wood carver who is half dryad.

Last edited:
I loved Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir; I need to read the second and third in the trilogy now. It's a sort of fantasy/sci fi mix (fantasy, but in space). If you like necromancy and fantastic dialogue, this one's a winner.
I liked this as well, I was thinking of it as more science fiction but as you say there are also plenty of fantasy elements.

I'd definitely call Gideon the Ninth fantasy (maybe science-fantasy at a push). I'd recommend trying it. I didn't like the very start at all, but skipped a few pages and it just took off with me on board. Funnily enough, though, I've never felt inspired to read the sequel.

Check out Paul Bennet. Recent writer, he's been got three series and a few stand alone books I think.

Thanks @Randy M. Theodora Goss' Athena Club series is brilliant, shouldn't work, so many clichés but somehow it manages to not be farcical. A really entertaining series that I'm hoping continues beyond the three books currently available.
Good. I'm glad you enjoyed it.