What Short Story Do You Love Above all Others ?

I wouldn't want to say I love it more than all others, cause you know, too many great stories - but I'll throw one out there...
An Experiment in Gyro-Hats by Ellis Parker Butler. See here.

Yes, there many many great stories that ice read and its hard to pick.

A close second for me is the science fiction story All The Way Back by Michale Shaara a writer of whom I wished had stayed with science fiction.

"The Wreck Of The Charles Dexter Ward" by Sarah Monette & Elizabeth Bear.
It's H.P. Lovecraft meets Space Opera, love the ending, a tentacled creature with seventeen eyes climbs up on to the lap of the heroine and purrs like a cat as she strokes it!

The short story that moved me the most has to be The ones who walk away from Omelas by Ursula Le Guin.

I very much enjoyed the concept of Slow Glass, which I came across in an anthology and I think was in the story Light of other days by Bob Shaw.
Yes! for the Le Guin. The Shaw's not bad either. Matter of fact, every story mentioned thus far is good, so there's no point in me "liking" each and every post.

Anyhow, getting back to the Le Guin. At least one fellow fan (elsewhere) hates it. Perhaps it speaks far too much truth?

Hands by Sherwood Anderson

Although I go back to In the Penny Arcade by Stephen Milhauser nearly as often.

Last edited:
Mostly anything written by Harlan Ellison.

If I had to choose one, it would be either The Mayors or The Dead Hand by Isaac Asimov, with an honorable mention for The Rats in the Walls by Howard P. Lovecraft

From reading Ellison , I found other great writers and books and stories I other would never have otherwise discovered. Through him I found, Bernard Wolfe, Alfred Bester , Cornell Woolrich, Dalton Trumbo , Walter Brown Gibson, Gerald Kersh. Because of him I found Clark Ashton Smith's story The City of The Singing Flame.:cool:

"There Will Come Soft Rains" by Bradbury
"Unaccompanied Sonata" by Card
"The Things They Carried" by O'Brien

"The Truth About Pyecraft" by H.G. Wells... and many others by Wells. More recently "Grayer Than Lead, Heavier Than Snow" by by Yukimi Ogawa, and "Craphound" by Cory Doctorow (although I'm not a huge Doctorow fan). There are so many though, short stories are where SF came from and where it's at, imo!

"The Truth About Pyecraft" by H.G. Wells... and many others by Wells. More recently "Grayer Than Lead, Heavier Than Snow" by by Yukimi Ogawa, and "Craphound" by Cory Doctorow (although I'm not a huge Doctorow fan). There are so many though, short stories are where SF came from and where it's at, imo!
Oh, and "The End Of Summer" by Algys Budrys... and "The Streets Of Ashkelon", Harry Harrison.

I still have a soft spot for Roald Dahls - Danny The Champion of the World.

Life changing literature.

I still have a soft spot for Roald Dahls - Danny The Champion of the World.

Life changing literature.
Brilliant, but not a ss.
The sss that Roald Dahl did write were frequently very good, however.

There was a similar thread some years ago and my choice is unchanged The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. Also Asimov's own favourite of his short stories I believe. Unfortunately it's not a story that bears much re-reading; once you know the final line it just doesn't have the same suspense!