Does Anyone Have Any Classic Space Operas To Recommend?

Never very sure where "Classic" ends - some things that _might_ count:
Melissa Scott's "Roads of Heaven" trilogy - has a great lead and world-building, and a really odd semi-magical spaceflight system that's a lot of fun.
Anne McCaffrey's co-written "Planet Pirates" books - I think the first two (Sassinak and The Death of Sleep) are top notch, but have some misgivings about the ending.
More McCaffrey - "The Ship Who Sang" and followups, most of them co-written, are a bit variable, but there are some good ones.
I don't know if Vonda McIntyre's Starfarers are space opera (I think I've only read one of them, and that a long while ago), and Superluminal probably isn't (but I like it).

Never very sure where "Classic" ends - some things that _might_ count:
Melissa Scott's "Roads of Heaven" trilogy - has a great lead and world-building, and a really odd semi-magical spaceflight system that's a lot of fun.
Anne McCaffrey's co-written "Planet Pirates" books - I think the first two (Sassinak and The Death of Sleep) are top notch, but have some misgivings about the ending.
More McCaffrey - "The Ship Who Sang" and followups, most of them co-written, are a bit variable, but there are some good ones.
I don't know if Vonda McIntyre's Starfarers are space opera (I think I've only read one of them, and that a long while ago), and Superluminal probably isn't (but I like it).

Sassinack by Elizabeth Moon
Brightness Falls From the Air James Tiptree Jr ( pen name for Alice Sheldon)

7015A68E-E45B-4644-B0FC-2EDA1A1E14DF.jpeg

Women space opera authors: In addition to those already listed (especially C.J. Cherryh), I would hasten to add Becky Chambers and Martha Wells (Murderbot series). The latter two are not "classic" by any means, but otherwise fit the bill in terms of the milieu explored.

Last edited:
I like Elizabeth Moon's Vatta Wars series. It's got a nice amount of space opera, but it's too new to be considered Classic.

I seem to recall a female author who went by initials, but for the life of me, I can't remeber who that was!

I missed this thread before. Not quite classic, as they only came out at the beginning of this century (yeowch, that makes me feel old, saying that), but Nancy Kress' Probability series, and Greentrees series fall under space opera, at least in part.

Cherryh, McMaster Bujold, as others have said. And Leigh Brackett - the woman who rewrote the script for The Empire Strikes Back is definitely a space opera writer. Even if Lucas then rewrote it again, he took her ideas on board.

I missed this thread before. Not quite classic, as they only came out at the beginning of this century (yeowch, that makes me feel old, saying that), but Nancy Kress' Probability series, and Greentrees series fall under space opera, at least in part.

Cherryh, McMaster Bujold, as others have said. And Leigh Brackett - the woman who rewrote the script for The Empire Strikes Back is definitely a space opera writer. Even if Lucas then rewrote it again, he took her ideas on board.

Leigh Brackett is a part of Star Wars history . She'll never be forgotten.