Discussion Thread -- May 2021-- 75 Word Story Challenge

Does / denote an or or an and?
I would assume or but sometimes it is used as a sort of and and other times its a hard and or a sort of or

sorry to confuse things :)

No confusion, at least not with me. I intended to be a bit of both, whatever suits the writer and the story. If you want to incorporate both then do so, or just concentrate on one or the other.

Or you can do an Ursa and play with the language a bit....

I think this is the fewest number of posts I've ever seen on the first day of a new challenge.

Oh my.... I've killed the 75 word challenge!

Nonsense, @Perpetual Man. I think this sounds like a great theme.

I agree. It's probably something to do with being the weekend, I'm sure we'll have a similar number of entries by the end of month. And if it's making people have to think a bit longer before posting then that's not a bad thing either.

I agree. It's probably something to do with being the weekend, I'm sure we'll have a similar number of entries by the end of month. And if it's making people have to think a bit longer before posting then that's not a bad thing either.
Yep, I think that 400 days into a "14 day lockdown to break the chain" most people, myself included, don't even know what day it is any more. :unsure:

@Victoria Silverwolf .... Incunabula .... Language and writing are the earliest time travelers.
@reiver33 .... First Contactless .... Gestures are a universal language.
@Cat's Cradle .... The Peacemakers .... An understanding of language is the first step to peace.
@Astro Pen .... Key Change .... Translation has always been as much art as science.
@Serendipity .... Viithmassmulch .... Makes me wonder if a picture is worth a thousand words or if one new one will do.
@BT Jones .... Methuselah Speaks .... Some concepts really are universal.

May the fourth be with you all... (sorry had to get that out of my system)

Thank you Parson and Victoria for your comments on my offering. Interesting they are.

I'm still pretty new here, so what's the policy on using excerpts from your unpublished fantasy novel for the 75 word story? I've been working on this thing for over 8 years and there's a certain plot point that would fit the chosen theme perfectly
There's no policy at all! The requirement is that what's posted must be your own original work, so if you're taking bits from your own story, that's fine.

But just to confirm, what entrants can't do is try to explain the 75 worder, whether by reference to a novel or anything else, since it has to stand on its own feet. So extrapolating from that rule, if someone is riffing off their own novel we'd prefer that they don't refer to that novel elsewhere on Chrons where it might be seen by voters while the Challenge is live, and we'd really not be happy if someone posted eg a long extract or synopsis of their novel in Critiques at the same month as the story is up, since that would undoubtedly aid understanding of the 75 worder.

That help?

But just to confirm, what entrants can't do is try to explain the 75 worder, whether by reference to a novel or anything else, since it has to stand on its own feet. So extrapolating from that rule, if someone is riffing off their own novel we'd prefer that they don't refer to that novel elsewhere on Chrons where it might be seen by voters while the Challenge is live, and we'd really not be happy if someone posted eg a long extract or synopsis of their novel in Critiques at the same month as the story is up, since that would undoubtedly aid understanding of the 75 worder.

That help?
Yeah that makes sense. Keep the rest sequestered until the challenge is over, but after that I can reveal more?

I'm still pretty new here, so what's the policy on using excerpts from your unpublished fantasy novel for the 75 word story? I've been working on this thing for over 8 years and there's a certain plot point that would fit the chosen theme perfectly
I think there's a rules and regs section somewhere but from memory, I don't think they encourage using existing material. I suppose until you publish it, it's not really published material yet.

But I wouldn't recommend it. I think part of the fun of the challenges is having to come up with something new. It really helps you grow as a writer.

Back