Elon Musk Explains SpaceX Rocket Explosion

Wayne Mack

For those interested in writing stories about rockets that take off and land, there is an interesting scattering of details in this report about the recent SpaceX explosion.

It makes sense, it only looks shocking because it looked like it landed intact. It didn't, which meant it was probably leaking like a sieve. Everything the Russians made was big, probably to handle the rough handling between construction and launch. To make it bounce proof it would have to considerably larger to hold the extra fuel to propel the extra weight, which isn't going to happen. I always wondered why they don't put in a mechanism that ejects the inhabited part, or part of it, if something goes wrong on take off or now, in coming back. Russian space capsules probably bonce a few times before coming to a rest. If this was in any one of many other countries we would only see the successes, not the failures.

Anyone who fooled around with those estes rockets knows that everything under the sun can always go sideways, they literally did sometimes, and they are quite simple devices. The best launch I ever saw was a 2 stage where everything worked, highest that model ever went, maybe even higher, on the ground it was calm. Up above there was a stiff wind blowing. It was chased for miles, but the chute deployed perfectly, perhaps a little too well, no twisted strings no haphazardly fluttering about. It just sailed out of sight.

In case anyone missed it, things have moved on since SN10...

Pretty soon, maybe within weeks, we'll see the first flight of the largest launch vehicle ever built... and whatever happens, it'll be spectacular...

Oh, and apparently, we all rock...

Oh, and apparently, we all rock...

Only if you watch WAI ;)

Personally I have some doubts they will meet the deadline they seem to have set themselves. Still a lot of building, stacking and testing to do.
I don't understand the sudden rush, really.

I don't understand the sudden rush, really.
Too many times, the first person, or company to get there, "there" usually being the internet, but it's still all technology, becomes the dominant player, regardless of the quality of the product.

Maybe the whole lunar lander situation would be settled if they demonstrate a working transport system now(ish)?
I doubt this 'situation' will be settled, even if SpaceX's upcoming attempt for an orbital flight succeeds. Not for Jeff Bezos (with his dubious offer),, not for several US Senators from states who think in terms of employment within their state and fail to see the bigger issue.
Too many times, the first person, or company to get there, "there" usually being the internet, but it's still all technology, becomes the dominant player, regardless of the quality of the product.
As it is right now I would already consider SpaceX the dominant player and has proven their ability with Crew Dragon. Whether BS420 will fly or not, they are the only company that at least can show an actual Starship. What the others can show is a cute Powerpoint presentation.

Last edited: