Oumuamua

Ed Lake

Here's a blurb about a non-fiction book titled "Extraterrestrial" that I'm trying to get my local library to buy:

"Have we been visited by aliens? Harvard astronomer Loeb believes we have, basing his assertion on "evidence...collected over eleven days, starting on October 19, 2017," at a Hawaiian observatory. That's when the author, the director of the Black Hole Initiative and the Institute for Theory and Computation, and his fellow scientists unexpectedly observed the "first known interstellar visitor." It was a small object: "highly luminous, oddly tumbling, with a 91 percent probability of being disk-shaped." Moving roughly 58,900 miles per second, it "passed through our solar system and, without visible outgassing, smoothly accelerated from a path that deviated from the force of the sun's gravity alone." Loeb and his colleagues named it "Oumuamua," a Hawaiian word that roughly translates to scout."

It's not "science fiction" because scientist Avi Loeb, the author, believes it was an actual visit by aliens. Has anyone read the book?

Whatever it was, it was something no one on earth has ever seen before.

Last edited:
Here are Avi Loeb's thoughts as published in New Scientist in February

And another view published in New Scientist in July last year

Unfortunately, unless you are a New Scientist subscriber, you won't be able to read the full articles.

Here are Avi Loeb's thoughts as published in New Scientist in February

And another view published in New Scientist in July last year

Unfortunately, unless you are a New Scientist subscriber, you won't be able to read the full articles.

Thanks for the info. Fortunately, I have a library card, and New Scientist is one of the magazines I can access via my library. I just downloaded 22 articles about Oumauamua from New Scientist, Sky & Telescope, Science News, Astronomy, and other magazines. The two articles you cited aren't on their list yet, but the links provide enough to keep me content until the entire articles become available.