H. Beam Piper's Paratime and Terro-Human Series' Reading-Order Flowchart

Mike J Nagle

An Aspiring Member
Greetings,

A while back, I created a reading-order flowchart for H. Beam Piper's Terro-Human series. I then immediately set out to create one for his Paratime series, but I realized that the two series were so closely related that I couldn't satisfactorily complete a Paratime flowchart without making an excessive number of references back to the Terro-Human series.

The solution, of course, was to create a flowchart that covers both series, which is what I am presenting here.

Comments, questions, corrections, and criticism are, as always, quite welcome.

Enjoy,

Mike

Paratime_Terro-Human_Flowchart.jpg

Ive heard he's good , never gotten around to reading him though.:unsure:

I've only read a story or two but was impressed and have a few of his books in the Pile. This seems like it should help orient me - thanks.

I've only read a story or two but was impressed and have a few of his books in the Pile. This seems like it should help orient me - thanks.

J-Sun,

If I might be so bold, if you are looking for a good novel to start with, I would suggest Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen or Little Fuzzy. If you are in the mood for shorter fiction pieces, try either of the collections Federation or Paratime.

Just a suggestion...

Mike

J-Sun,

If I might be so bold, if you are looking for a good novel to start with, I would suggest Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen or Little Fuzzy. If you are in the mood for shorter fiction pieces, try either of the collections Federation or Paratime.

Just a suggestion...

Mike
Federation was good.

Thanks! - I'm not sure about Paratime but think I have Kalvan, Fuzzy, and Federation. :)

Loooooved Little Fuzzy.

Droflet,

For what it's worth, there is a large number of other people who have felt the same way.

Little Fuzzy was published by Avon Books in 1962. To Avon's surprise—and delight—Little Fuzzy was immensely popular with SF fans, and enjoyed an unusually high level of sales. It was even nominated for a Hugo Award. SF fans clamored for more Fuzzy stories. Avon immediately authorized Piper to write two more "Fuzzy" novels.

In 1963, Piper told fans that a sequel to Little Fuzzy was coming soon, and that the title would be Fuzzy Sapiens.

The same editor at Avon who had bought Little Fuzzy bought Fuzzy Sapiens, but he left Avon before it was published, and all of Piper's stories were assigned to a new editor.

I don't know this new editor's name, but he seems to have decided that he didn't like fuzzies. He couldn't stop the publication of Fuzzy Sapiens, because at this point in time Avon was already contractually obligated to publish the book. So he decided to sabotage it instead. He commissioned a cover for the book, with a surrealistic line drawing of two primitively-drawn figures in dark blue on a black background, so that the front cover looked like it was solid black at first glance. The new editor also put a blurb above the title on the front cover that said: "The startling new novel about man versus a superintelligent race of alien beings—By H. Beam Piper, the author of Little Fuzzy", which made it seem to be an entirely new novel about a struggle against an alien species bent on galactic conquest, rather than anything related to Little Fuzzy. He also changed the title of the novel to The Other Human Race, but he deliberately did not publicize the change in title. He didn't even tell Piper or Kenneth S. White, Piper's literary agent, about the change.

As a result, nobody knew that the sequel to Little Fuzzy had been published, or that it had been published with a different title than the one Piper had announced to fans the previous year. The nearly all-black cover did not catch very many fans' eyes, and the book sold poorly.

He then argued to the publisher that the poor sales of The Other Human Race demonstrated that there was there was no good reason to publish the third Fuzzy novel. He then sent a rejection letter for the third novel to Piper—before Piper had even submitted the manuscript!

Shortly after receiving the rejection letter, Piper committed suicide. I can't say whether or not the rejection letter had any positive role in causing Piper to commit suicide, but the timing does seem suggestive (at least to me).

The third Fuzzy manuscript could not be found after Piper's death, because he had never bothered to tell anybody its location. Twenty years later, the manuscript was serendipitously found in a steamer trunk in Piper's former home, and it was immediately published with Piper's original title, Fuzzies and Other People, in 1984. It immediately became a best-seller.

I first read Little Fuzzy in 1963, and I loved it. (I was five years old at the time; I didn't learn of Piper's death until 1968, when I was nine, but I was still saddened when I did learn of it.)

Later,

Mike

Last edited:
What a sad tale. Although I'm heartened that his third fuzzy book was a success. What a dire end for such a talented author. I hope the imbecile editor is burning somewhere, slowly. Thank you very much for the background. I always wondered why there wasn't a follow up to the original story. Well done, Mike.
Oh, btw, are copies of the original and the following two books still available?

What a sad tale. Although I'm heartened that his third fuzzy book was a success. What a dire end for such a talented author. I hope the imbecile editor is burning somewhere, slowly. Thank you very much for the background. I always wondered why there wasn't a follow up to the original story. Well done, Mike.
Oh, btw, are copies of the original and the following two books still available?

Droflet,

It is believed by some—in hindsight—that H. Beam Piper suffered from (undiagnosed) Clinical Depression. I, myself, was diagnosed with chronic Clinical Depression in 2001, so I can certainly sympathize with Piper.

If Piper did indeed have Clinical Depression, it is entirely possible that Piper would have taken his own life irrespective of the rejection letter. It's the nature of the illness.

Both novels are still in print. The only edition of the second novel with the title The Other Human Race was the very first one, published by Avon. Every subsequent edition has had the title Fuzzy Sapiens. In the US, all the post-Avon editions were published by Ace Books, beginning in 1976.

By the way, there have been two omnibus collections: The Fuzzy Papers, which contains the first two novels, and The Complete Fuzzy, which contains all three.

Ciao,

Mike

Last edited:
Droflet,

It is believed by some—in hindsight—that H. Beam Piper suffered from (undiagnosed) Clinical Depression. I, myself, was diagnosed with chronic Clinical Depression in 2001, so I can certainly sympathize with Piper.

If Piper did indeed have Clinical Depression, it is entirely possible that Piper would have taken his own life irrespective of the rejection letter. It's the nature of the illness.

Both novels are still in print. The only edition of the second novel with the title The Other Human Race was the very first one, published by Avon. Every subsequent edition has had the title Fuzzy Sapiens. In the US, all the post-Avon editions were published by Ace Books, beginning in 1976.

By the way, there have been two omnibus collections: The Fuzzy Papers, which contains the first two novels, and The Complete Fuzzy, which contains all three.

Ciao,

Mike

It sounds similar to to what happened to Robert E. Howard.:(