Is it alright for men to read Jane Austen?

Yeah. I read Narnia when I was 11/12 after coming across it for the first time in the school library. Other kids on the bus had a go at me for reading kiddie books. It was in the secondary school library - gah! And so what? I still read young adult - sometimes the storytelling is superb and well above adult books.

Yeah. I read Narnia when I was 11/12 after coming across it for the first time in the school library. Other kids on the bus had a go at me for reading kiddie books. It was in the secondary school library - gah! And so what? I still read young adult - sometimes the storytelling is superb and well above adult books.

I occasionally read, young adult books and I'm sixty.

As I get older I realise that thrillers and action paced books don't interest me anymore. That is why I seem to like Jane Austen novels, however is it really okay for men to read what is potentially a female type of book.

I would love to know what you think whether you are male or female.

I'm also considering reading the Bronte sisters and other female writers.

Can we get back on the subject. Please.

Sorry Ian , I didn't mean to derail the thread . I just picked up a paperback copy of Pride and Prejudice, T\the original version without Zombies or any other denizens of the undead. ;) At some point, Im going to give this one a second try.:)

Sorry Ian , I didn't mean to derail the thread . I just picked up a paperback copy of Pride and Prejudice, T\the original version without Zombies or any other denizens of the undead. ;) At some point, Im going to give this one a second try.:)
It's okay. I don't mind talking about other books, especially if they are a bit unusual ie young adult or even kids. Mainly because it falls into the category of not normally read by by men.

I have definitely gone off thrillers, and now find myself reading gentler novels.

I will eventually read another Jane Austen at sometime soon. Thanks for your understanding.

I am sorry, I have never read a Jane Austen book.

Did she do science fiction?

Real Macho Science Fiction with blood leaking out of the scuppers into the vacuum of space.

I am sorry, I have never read a Jane Austen book.

Did she do science fiction?

Real Macho Science Fiction with blood leaking out of the scuppers into the vacuum of space.

You could call it fantasy that is proposing an alternative to a dystopian future*

* Being unmarried and poor being akin to a dystopian future for the individual concerned.

I suppose the same applies with books for children. I wonder how many older readers bought the 'adult' cover of the Harry Potter books because it made them feel more comfortable?
I have a ridicule spell all ready for anyone over 30 reading an HP book, regardless of cover. Though I think any parent with children should check out their children's reading to some degree.

My mother called my SF books "something crazy". I was 27 angstroms away from disentigrating her. It was that close.

Real Men, those who only shave with a well-honed Bowie knife in flowing river water using a broken bottle as a mirror, whilst keeping a lookout for bears etc, naturally read Jane Austin without shame. That is why my face is cut to sh*t and my copy of Emma is covered in blood.

It was only through word of mouth that I came to Harry Potter. I was aware of a movie and advertising in book stores, but it was only when another adult reader recommended them that I decided to read , and was hooked through to the end. I think it's a shame that they changed the original cover art, as I really dislike the 'adult' covers for the books.

I do find it funny that some people obviously would only buy the book because it had an adult cover, but then again in a bookstore filled with books I too am sometimes attracted to picking up one book above another just because I like the cover art or was intrigued by the title. his was how I first discovered Discworld.

Last edited:
Oi. We have a whole thread saying how it is fine to read whatever the heck you like and you then go and say you want to take the mick out of anyone over thirty reading Harry Potter. And after your mother took the mick out of your reading. Huh.
"took the mick out" ?

Being an uncouth monolingual Yank I can only guess what that means. Of course I figure that anyone that gets bent out of shape over the obviously silly sh*t I write has a way more serious problem than me.

On the subject of my grade school education: my mother sent me to a Catholic school. I accidentally discovered science fiction in 4th grade. I honestly don't know what would become of me if I had not. My sister told me that a nun said to her that "science and religion don't mix." I never got a science class until high school, but almost everything I learned about science and technology before came from SF books because they told me what words to research in the encyclopedia. Of course I decided I was an agnostic in 7th grade. Learned the word and concept from SF books.

I was reading about Greek philosophers in 7th grade because Arthur C Clarke used Plato's Allegory of the Cave to explain reality having a different perspective when viewed in infrared in his book A Fall of Moondust.

I ignored my mother on the subject of my reading. I do have a pretty low opinion of anyone that allows other people to browbeat them into not reading whatever they want. I do think a lot of so called science fiction has been allowed deteriorate amazingly.

In "Destroyer" Chris Fox says the galaxy rotates in 26,000 years. That is the time for the precession of equinoxes. For the galaxy to rotate that fast the stars at the outer edge would have to have a linear velocity of about 8 times the speed of light. I am trying to concoct a spell sufficiently excruciating to give him what he deserves but I keep imagining worse things so it may take a while.

"took the mick out" ?

Being an uncouth monolingual Yank I can only guess what that means. Of course I figure that anyone that gets bent out of shape over the obviously silly sh*t I write has a way more serious problem than me.

On the subject of my grade school education: my mother sent me to a Catholic school. I accidentally discovered science fiction in 4th grade. I honestly don't know what would become of me if I had not. My sister told me that a nun said to her that "science and religion don't mix." I never got a science class until high school, but almost everything I learned about science and technology before came from SF books because they told me what words to research in the encyclopedia. Of course I decided I was an agnostic in 7th grade. Learned the word and concept from SF books.

I was reading about Greek philosophers in 7th grade because Arthur C Clarke used Plato's Allegory of the Cave to explain reality having a different perspective when viewed in infrared in his book A Fall of Moondust.

I ignored my mother on the subject of my reading. I do have a pretty low opinion of anyone that allows other people to browbeat them into not reading whatever they want. I do think a lot of so called science fiction has been allowed deteriorate amazingly.

In "Destroyer" Chris Fox says the galaxy rotates in 26,000 years. That is the time for the precession of equinoxes. For the galaxy to rotate that fast the stars at the outer edge would have to have a linear velocity of about 8 times the speed of light. I am trying to concoct a spell sufficiently excruciating to give him what he deserves but I keep imagining worse things so it may take a while.
Taking the mick/mickey/michael = taking the piss/ teasing/mocking. Probably from cockney rhyming slang. These things usually are.