Onward (2020)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I thought the trailer for this looked poor so didn't make an effort to watch it until one of the kids finally wanted to. And then found myself pleasantly surprised.

Although it's labelled as a Pixar film, it's more like a Disney with added Pixar thinking, which means it's more mainstream in the telling with some quirkiness that is enough to save the film.

The main plot point is unconvincing - that a 16-year old boy misses the father he never knew. The character is unsympathetic and his wild bother is more interesting - a character that seems to have been written for Jack Black, but Disney decided to cast Chris Pratt for instead. However, the way the story develops is interesting, and it's something of a love letter to role-playing games, so I think it will appeal to a lot of people here. :)

Altogether, not a bad film and a decent watch, but not in the stable of classic Pixar films.

I saw the posters on the buses and just saw a cynical corporate attempt to pander to a host of tropes which would appeal to modern yoof. It reminded me of the corporate creation of Poochie on The Simpsons.

My step kids are now 18 and 16 and far more interested in anime than Pixar so thankfully (?) I won't need to watch this.

Though with all that said, I'm glad you enjoyed it Brian :)

Back