Quartz-Silicon Rat 2

Edoc'sil

One day I'll find the words.
Okay, I took on board the comments. Changed up the POV (hopefully my grammar is more on point, maybe I can get some feedback on that because I'm really not sure.) what I'd like to know is:
Did I manage to instill the right amount of tension into the piece?
Do the asides work as internal monologue?
Is the journey to the bank too rushed?
And most importantly, is it more enjoyable?

P.S. @autodidact - I shamelessly stole parts of your rewrite and I hope you can forgive me.
P.P.S. Sorry mods, it's a bit over the word count at almost 1500 but I wanted to get to the same place as the other piece to make sure it all works.

Quartz-Silicon Rat draft 2

Looking out of my window to the park beyond I saw the sun lazily strike the tops of trees, setting them ablaze with golden light. Today’s the day. I downed the dregs of last night’s coffee, proceeded to the coat rack and slipped on the black and white chequered jacket. Tapping my pockets and feeling the sleeves, I spoke the mantra in my mind: it pays to be prepared.

I took a final glance in the mirror, I looked dashing in the black and white chequered suit. Brown hair cut short to the temples; I had the air of a young billionaire, perfectly crafted. I placed in my special contacts, my eyes turning from deep brown to a steel blue and the information hud filled my peripheral vision. I picked up the shiny metal briefcase and whistled through my teeth.

“Today’s the day.” I said to myself, and my voice barely cracked. I ran my free hand across my jaw, I’d shaved what little hair was there to smoothness. No more delays, and I stepped out of the door. The journey passed in a blur, elevator, entrance, walking, tube, walking. Then I was there, in front of the prestigious NationalCite Corp, its top eclipsed the sun. The glass walls reflected the grey of the surrounding buildings. Taking a deep breath, I went inside.

I was jostled by passers-by engrossed in their communicators, they didn’t even look up when they hit me. I passed through the large doors and onto the main floor of the biggest bank on the planet. This was a one stop shop for all things money, that’s why it contained the largest stock of physical currency, anywhere.

I purposefully strode towards the main security desk where several bored fat guards sat scanning people and watching the Z-Ray monitors. I bounced over to one of the desks.

“Open the briefcase, sir” Mumbled one of the portly sentries.

“Of course, my good man.” I replied, in a falsely booming voice. The guard looked at me quizzically. Oops maybe I over did it. He was still staring at me over the desk when he forcefully flicked open the metal box, and didn’t stop staring until he began probing its contents. I wasn’t particularly worried of course, I knew he wouldn’t find anything, I’d tested it myself.

“Right, here you go.” He gruffed, and pushed my briefcase back towards me. “Step through the scanner.” And with that he motioned for me to move on to the full body scanner. The scanner looked for any metal objects as well as anything that may be out of place on your body. I mentally crossed my heart and prayed to any god that would listen, that the suit did its job.

The machine whirred and spun around, the light matrix pouring over every inch of me. I only realised I had been holding my breath when the scanner stopped with a soft wooshing sound, I let it out with a sigh.

“These things always make me nervous, haha.” I stammered to the guard. He stared at me again coolly.
“Yeah. Whatever, move along.” With that anti-climactic sentence, I was through. Fools, that was too easy I chuckled to myself. I headed towards the centre of the building to the trading floor, and tangentially, my target.

It was swarming with people, running from place to place, shouting into their communicators and the video phones on the walls. I counted my footsteps as my shiny black shoes clicked across the white marble floor of the trading room, stopping precisely where I needed to be. Incidentally I was directly above the logo of NationalCite Corp, a squeezed planet gripped in a fist.

I pressed a hidden button on the handle of the briefcase, a small panel slide aside on the corner and twelve tiny ball bearings dropped. The spheres moved of their own volition, weaving in between the legs of the unaware traders until they were arranged in a circle around me, encompassing the logo of the Bank.

I pressed a second switch and studied the huge screens suspended in the air on the far side of the room. One by one, each stock began to descend, then fall, then plummet, their numbers telling a tragic tale for many. But not for me. Almost as one, they switched their attention away from their personal communicators and toward the screens that bore witness to the ruin the investors were supposedly about to suffer.

The experienced traders understood almost immediately, their manner changed from that of free-market competitors to the hysteria of panic. "Sell! Sell! Bloody sell!" came the shouts, "Cancel that last order, for God’s sake," shouted another.

The rest, slightly slower on the uptake, glanced from them to the screens suspended above. Then the uproar began, people surged towards the tellers on the far side of the room, or tried to claw through the crowd to get to the vid-phones on the walls.

Within seconds the place was a maelstrom and I stood calmly in the eye of the storm. With a quick look to my watch and a glance to make sure the logo was free of people; I pressed the third and final button on my briefcase. A huge explosion surrounded me, causing a black cloud to heave into the sky and a hail of rubble to fall. And then I was gone— through the hole where the NationalCite Corp logo once stood.

Unperturbed, I dusted off my suit, left the briefcase where it had fallen, squared my shoulders and calmly walked down the corridor I found myself in. Phase one complete. The noise of the chaos above grew fainter as I whispered a second count for each step. I stopped at a particular number, bent down, and pulled a concealed pen-like object from my shoe, pressing its nub.

In front of me appeared a wall of laser force, completely shielding the corridor from further intrusion. I touched the wall with the tip of my 'pen', gave a gentle push, and the laser beams began to reflect back to their origins. A series of muffled bangs later, one for each laser, and my way was clear.

Immediately, bullets ricocheted past me! Luckily, I was still partly hidden by the cloud of debris from the explosion. Damn, this was new, at least it pays to be prepared! In one smooth motion I ducked down, dropped the pen, and withdrew from my suit a small gas mask. Then rising upwards under a barrage of fire, I withdrew from my sleeve two plastic spheres, and rolled them towards the origin of the bullets. They split in two and vented a gas that quickly rendered the attackers unconscious. I waited for more gunfire. There was none, so I picked up the pen and after checking it over, slid it into my pocket.

I felt strangely relaxed, and why shouldn't I? Everything was going almost completely to plan. Phase two complete, now for the coup de grâce. At the far end of the corridor was a huge black vault door. You couldn't beat the simplicity of a basic, straight forward, heavy, steel door. It couldn't be hacked, and to blow it open would risk bringing the whole bank down on top of me. Those bankers were smart.

But not that smart thanking my mantra, as I sauntered up to it and ripped a button off my suit. Placing it onto the door, I turned my back and felt the heat of that brilliant bright light. It shone for about a minute, and during that time I heard the thundering sound of many boots coming down the corridor. I peaked out of the arm covering my face, withdrew the ‘pen’ from my pocket and pressed the nub again.

There was a distant hum and a flickering as the invisible forcefield reformed where it had been. As intended. The guards were armed and well-trained but they could do nothing as they watched me at work. They thumped on the laser wall, but it was pointless. The irony of being stopped by their own security measures was lost on them as they radioed a report to their superiors.

Then I drew a long plastic wire from my sleeve and folded it out to twice the length of my arm. Inserting it deep into the hole that the button had burned through the door. Swiftly, time was against me now, I began to work it into the innards of the lock, twisting, pushing, pulling.

A few seconds work and there came a definitive click. I ripped off my gas mask, flashed a grin at the guards still thumping on the forcefield and swung open the door.

Last edited:
I'll try and get to this later, but just to reassure you -- the limit in Critiques is 1500 words per thread, and this extract is within that, so you're fine.

And just in passing, the opening is certainly more engaging, though the self-description via mirror is a tad cliched I'd have thought. And since you're within time for editing please amend the "fat guards were sat" before my fellow pedants and I have a collective mental breakdown -- it's "guards sat" or "guards were sitting" never a ******* combination of the two other than in the conversation of those who know no better even when they should.

The mods will nuke your extra words. Anyway, I only have a few minutes so a few thoughts in bold (apart from asking you if you like this better?)

Okay, I took on board the comments. Changed up the POV (hopefully my grammar is more on point, maybe I can get some feedback on that because I'm really not sure.) what I'd like to know is:
Did I manage to instill the right amount of tension into the piece?
Do the asides work as internal monologue?
Is the journey to the bank too rushed?
And most importantly, is it more enjoyable?

P.S. @autodidact - I shamelessly stole parts of your rewrite and I hope you can forgive me.
P.P.S. Sorry mods, it's a bit over the word count at almost 1500 but I wanted to get to the same place as the other piece to make sure it all works.

Quartz-Silicon Rat draft 2

Looking out of my window to the park beyond I saw the sun lazily strike the tops of trees, setting them ablaze with golden light. Today’s the day. I downed the dregs of last night’s coffee, proceeded to the coat rack and slipped on the black and white chequered jacket. Tapping my pockets and feeling the sleeves, I spoke the mantra in my mind: it pays to be prepared.

I took a final glance in the mirrorthis is a cliche, agents hate it and most readers aren't that keen, either. Do we need to know what he looks like right now? If so, can you show it a different way - short hair can be shown by chill air on skin, for instance., I looked dashing in the black and white chequered suit. Brown hair cut short to the temples; I had the air of a young billionaire, perfectly crafted. I placed in my special contacts, my eyes turning from deep brown to a steel blue and the information hud filled my peripheral vision. I picked up the shiny metal briefcase and whistled through my teeth.

“Today’s the day.” I said to myself, and my voice barely cracked.Why the italics here? I ran my free hand across my jawThis is better - it shows perhaps a certain amount of nervousness and tells us something about the character, I’d shaved what little hair was there to smoothness. No more delays, and I stepped out of the door. The journey passed in a blur, elevator, entrance, walking, tube, walking. The fact you're condensing this indicates to me that the story starts here, and there's nothing before that you couldn't pop into one line here. Especially with shiny mirror like windows, if you still want his description in there :D Then I was there, in front of the prestigious NationalCite Corp, its top eclipsed the sun. The glass walls reflected the grey of the surrounding buildings. Taking a deep breath, I went inside.

I was jostled by passers-by engrossed in their communicators, they didn’t even look up when they hit me. I passed through the large doors and onto the main floor of the biggest bank on the planet. This was a one stop shop for all things money, that’s why it contained the largest stock of physical currency, anywhere.
I purposefully strode towards the main security desk where several bored fat guards were sat scanning people and watching the Z-Ray monitors. I bounced over to one of the desks.

“Open the briefcase, sir” Mumbled one of the portly sentries. sir," mumbled - you join a dialogue tag with a comma and don't capitalise the next word

“Of course, my good man.” I repliedditto here ,"I replied, in a falsely booming voiceThat drew me right out. You're in his point of view, would he really think this? Plus you then go to a nice show. The guard looked at me quizzically. Oops maybe I over did it. He was still staring at me over the desk when he forcefully flicked open the metal box, and didn’t stop staring until he began probing its contents. I wasn’t particularly worried of course See, here you just kill all the tension. It doesn't matter how well tested this all is, he could get caught here, and it could all be over. If he's worried, we'll be worried, and if we're worried, we're more invested and likely to read on, I knew he wouldn’t find anything, I’d tested it myself.

“Right, here you go.” He gruffed Very dodgy dialogue tag, although a part of me rather likes it..., and pushed my briefcase back towards me. “Step through the scanner.” And with that he motioned for me to move on to the full body scanner. The scanner looked for any metal objects as well as anything that may be out of place on your body. YOu could drop these last two sentences - we know what a scanner does (plus it's not very SF to have something we already have, so I'd be inclined not to draw attention to it) I mentally crossed my heart and prayed to any god that would listen, that the suit did its job.Good. More of this please! Now I'm wondering if it will.

The machine whirred and spun around, the light matrix pouring over every inch of me. I only realised I had been holding my breath when the scanner stopped with a soft wooshing sound, I let it out with a sigh.

“These things always make me nervous, haha.” I stammered to the guard. He stared at me again coolly.
“Yeah. Whatever, move along.” With that anti-climactic sentence, I was through. Fools, that was too easy I chuckled to myself. I headed towards the centre of the building to the trading floor, and tangentially, my target.

It was swarming with people, running from place to place, shouting into their communicators and the video phones on the walls. I counted my footsteps as my shiny black shoes clicked across the white marble floor of the trading room, stopping precisely where I needed to be. Incidentally I was I'd drop the incidentally - you want him to appear deliberate and controlled, right? directly above the logo of NationalCite Corp, a squeezed planet gripped in a fist.

I pressed a hidden button on the handle of the briefcase, a small panel slide aside on the corner and twelve tiny ball bearings dropped. The spheres moved of their own volition, weaving in between the legs of the unaware traders until they were arranged in a circle around me, encompassing the logo of the Bank.

I pressed a second switch and studied the huge screens suspended in the air on the far side of the room. One by one, each stock began to descend, then fall, then plummet, their numbers telling a tragic tale for many. But not for me. Ah, that's a nice little detail I missed in the last. Almost as one, they switched their attention away from their personal communicators and toward the screens that bore witness to the ruin the investors were supposedly about to suffer.

The experienced traders understood almost immediately, their manner changed from that of free-market competitors to the hysteria of panic. "Sell! Sell! Bloody sell!" came the shouts, "Cancel that last order, for God’s sake," shouted another.

The rest, slightly slower on the uptake, glanced from them to the screens suspended above. Then the uproar began, people surged towards the tellers on the far side of the room, or tried to claw through the crowd to get to the vid-phones on the walls.

Within seconds the place was a maelstrom and I stood calmly in the eye of the storm. With a quick look to my watch and a glance to make sure the logo was free of people; I pressed the third and final button on my briefcase. A huge explosion surrounded me, causing a black cloud to heave into the sky and a hail of rubble to fall. And then I was gone— through the hole where the NationalCite Corp logo once stood.

Unperturbed, I dusted off my suit, left the briefcase where it had fallen, squared my shoulders and calmly walked down the corridor I found myself in. Phase one complete. The noise of the chaos above grew fainter as I whispered a second count for each step. I stopped at a particular number, bent down, and pulled a concealed pen-like object from my shoe, pressing its nub.

In front of me appeared a wall of laser force, completely shielding the corridor from further intrusion. I touched the wall with the tip of my 'pen', gave a gentle push, and the laser beams began to reflect back to their origins. A series of muffled bangs later, one for each laser, and my way was clear.

Immediately, bullets ricocheted past me! Luckily, I was still partly hidden by the cloud of debris from the explosion. Damn, this was new, at least it pays to be prepared! In one smooth motion I ducked down, dropped the pen, and withdrew from my suit a small gas mask. Then rising upwards under a barrage of fire, I withdrew from my sleeve two plastic spheres, and rolled them towards the origin of the bullets. They split in two and vented a gas that quickly rendered the attackers unconscious. I waited for more gunfire. There was none, so I picked up the pen and after checking it over, slid it into my pocket.

I felt strangely relaxed, and why shouldn't I? Everything was going almost completely to plan. Phase two complete, now for the coup de grâce. At the far end of the corridor was a huge black vault door. You couldn't beat the simplicity of a basic, straight forward, heavy, steel door. It couldn't be hacked, and to blow it open would risk bringing the whole bank down on top of me. Those bankers were smart.

But not that smart thanking my mantra, as I sauntered up to it and ripped a button off my suit. Placing it onto the door, I turned my back and felt the heat of that brilliant bright light. It shone for about a minute, and during that time I heard the thundering sound of many boots coming down the corridor. I peaked out of the arm covering my face, withdrew the ‘pen’ from my pocket and pressed the nub again.

There was a distant hum and a flickering as the invisible forcefield reformed where it had been. As intended. The guards were armed and well-trained but they could do nothing as they watched me at work. They thumped on the laser wall, but it was pointless. The irony of being stopped by their own security measures was lost on them as they radioed a report to their superiors.

Then I drew a long plastic wire from my sleeve and folded it out to twice the length of my arm. Inserting it deep into the hole that the button had burned through the door. Swiftly, time was against me now, I began to work it into the innards of the lock, twisting, pushing, pulling.

A few seconds work and there came a definitive click. I ripped off my gas mask, flashed a grin at the guards still thumping on the forcefield and swung open the door.
A few comments above. Overall, for me it works better. Keep writing, keep getting feedback (although maybe leave it a bit longer next time, to give yourself time to reflect more - I struggle with that, but it's mostly a good idea but it stops you flooding critiques and people tuning out), and you'll improve, but there's a good narrative voice in here, and the writing is solid enough. Some storytelling stuff to maybe think about still in terms of keeping up tension etc.

@The Judge - Edited! I never knew that about the sitting thing, I think I've always used it like that. Thanks!

@Jo Zebedee - Thanks again for slogging through my work, I'll reach out to critique from other places next time to avoid flooding but I thought it would be good to see the progression. The italics are supposed to show the character's thoughts, I had quite a few so I wanted to refrain from repeating "I thought" etc all the time. Also that "But not for me" was actually verbatim from @autodidact so credit where it's due.

I like what you are trying to do with this piece.
i vacillated between wanting to critique the last piece or just go forward on this one.
I think in part that is indicative of the real problem here. You might be traveling too fast, where it would be beneficial to slow down and take more time writing and editing the piece a bit before posting.
I like both POV and what I like about the former piece is that you get to the action quicker.

However, I'm not adverse to the slow build in this piece.
I do think that it needs a lot of thought and effort to tighten and perfect the piece.

For example.

One of the problems I have is the first sentence sounds passive in my mind because of the gerund at the beginning.
It makes the sentence convoluted because it's missing the I'm looking...
It might work better

Outside my window, the lazy sun struck the tops of trees in the park and slowly set them ablaze with golden light.

Next you put on the jacket, yet it's unclear until the mirror shows up, that the rest of the suit is on. So, to continue

Today is the day. Half dressed, the dregs of last nights coffee nearly stuck in my throat, I swallowed hard and slipped on the black and white chequerd jacket.

Now we get back to the gerund thing; this time I think it can stay but it needs some work and this might help.

Tapping my pockets, feeling the sleeves, and speaking my mental mantra: it pays to be prepared.

I agree with @The Judge ...
I took a final glance in the mirror, I looked dashing in the black and white chequered suit. Brown hair cut short to the temples; I had the air of a young billionaire, perfectly crafted. I placed in my special contacts, my eyes turning from deep brown to a steel blue and the information hud filled my peripheral vision. I picked up the shiny metal briefcase and whistled through my teeth.
The mirror can be cliche and it is here mostly because it is used as a way to describe the character, which in first person is difficult to do without using an artifice like the mirror. How important is his eye color to this part of the story; is he disguising them on purpose or is it a side effect? The think here is that he puts contacts in for a special hud.

I have no objection to the mirror but it might work like this.

A quick final glance in the mirror for a reminder to stand straighter and adjust the lapel and the crease of the pants to create the perfectly crafted young billionaire persona. Then I added the special contacts with their hud display and noted the side effect(or added feature), changing my deep-browns to steely-blues.

This gives two good reasons to be looking in the mirror--one to adjust his outfit and posture and the other to apply contacts. You can slip some other added description in but need to be careful of too much to begin to be cliche.

Also, in first person, it can be helpful to try to avoid starting sentences with 'I' ; get creative and hide the'I' somewhere inside the sentence. Too many sentences starting with 'I' can begin to look like a laundry list.

Also look into your modifiers such as.
falsely, coolly, quizzically.
Try to find some stronger descriptive verbs and nouns that help avoid these; where possible.
for instance.

I replied, in a falsely booming voice.
Might work better as...
I force my voice to boom.
in this case the I replied looks like a tag however punctuation ignores the tag so I took it out.

and
The guard looked at me quizzically.
Might work better as.
The guard gazed up with eyes narrowed.
(show what quizzical might look like.)

this one
he forcefully flicked open the metal box
he slammed open the metal box.

I definitely like the spy thriller tones to the piece.

I feel like the character is underdeveloped. His motivations aren’t clear to me and his tics seem inconsistent. There seems to be some unclear waffling between self-doubt (Oops maybe I over did it.) and absolute certainty and arrogance (Fools, that was too easy).

never a ******* combination of the two other than in the conversation of those who know no better even when they should.

"I was sat" -- a good, solid, earthy phrase that might be used by the kind of honest farmer whose callouses would take the skin off your palms when you shook hands.

"I was sitting" -- the mimsy utterance of an 18th-century dandy, so enfeebled that the extra syllable in "sitting" would cause him to mop his brow with a lace handkerchief.

Of course. Go for it!

This is much much better. More engaging, more active, a good start, and I like how you've used some dialogue to inject his character into the narrative. It's almost a completely different scene. I think you now need to work on your consistency, as others have already said.

Did I manage to instill the right amount of tension into the piece? For me, the action sequence came across as a dry recital.
Do the asides work as internal monologue? I think the asides may be hindering the flow of events.
Is the journey to the bank too rushed? I feel it could be either greatly reduced or eliminated completely.
And most importantly, is it more enjoyable? There were a lot of things that happened, but I did not feel the excitement as I read.

When using first person, the writer has all of the character's senses to use. The downside is that one cannot use descriptions from outside the character's head. I suggest try using more of the character's vision, hearing, smell, etc. to describe the situation.

One of the challenges I have found is reading and editing my own writing. I find it difficult to read the words on the page for what they say and not for what I want them to say. Watch out for inconsistencies and point of view breaks.

Some sample areas to review.

Taking a deep breath, I went inside.

I was jostled by passers-by engrossed in their communicators, they didn’t even look up when they hit me. I passed through the large doors
This reads like the entry to the building is repeated.

I purposefully strode towards the main security desk where several bored fat guards sat scanning people and watching the Z-Ray monitors. I bounced over to one of the desks.
Is there one desk or are there multiple desks?

The experienced traders understood almost immediately, their manner changed from that of free-market competitors to the hysteria of panic.
This does not seem to be something that is observable by the main character. It seems like an external narrator has taken over.

A huge explosion surrounded me, causing a black cloud to heave into the sky and a hail of rubble to fall. And then I was gone— through the hole where the NationalCite Corp logo once stood.
Is this what the character would observe? Isn't he inside, so the sky would not be visible. The character did not disappear from himself, he was falling through a hole in the floor. Describe what the character sees, feels, smells. There are loud explosions. The floor is shaking, cracking, collapsing under his feet, then he is falling. This is exciting stuff. I do not think he is going to be thinking that the logo is now gone.

Immediately, bullets ricocheted past me!
Two issues. First, the word 'Immediately' is unnecessary and confusing. This is the very next sentence, so immediacy is implied. As a reader, the implication of immediately is of cause and effect, while these are actually two independent actions. Second, there is no way for the character to know that there are bullets flying or ricocheting. Describe what he can see. His hearing is probably deafened at this point, but he could see chips flying off the walls and muzzle flashes appearing in the dust and gloom. This is another area where tension can be raised.

Try to concentrate on describing the action using the character's five senses. Imagine the entire scene from his perspective. A lot of the action sequences seem to be short changed with a minimal number of words and the character seems entirely unemotional. This should be high stress encounter.

@tinkerdan - Thanks so much, some really helpful ways to improve my writing and I feel I'm getting better already.

@JS Wiig - Thank you for taking the time to go through my paltry offerings again! I think the reason I had him say that was because he is a young man who has that sense of invincibility that comes along with that. He flips his viewpoint (unsure and then sure) because he truly isn't sure about how to react and it's a bit of false confidence (although he may not tell himself that) However, as that wasn't clear for you obviously I'll need to make it more apparent! :)

@Wayne Mack - Thanks for the critique it's very much appreciated I will try to take all criticisms on board and fold them into my style. Others have said before you guys, that my narrator tends to bounce around, I think I'm more comfortable writing in 1st person but I always want to switch to third to describe something interesting happening somewhere else on the scene. I'll have to remember, as you say, pay attention to the character's senses and tell the story that way.