Alternate History

I enjoyed The Plot Against America. Fatherland doesn't contain any SF elements, either.

On the other end of the scale is West of Eden by Harry Harrison, where the meteor that struck the Earth was only half the size as in reality, and dinosaur-like people end up fighting cavemen. A pretty wild idea executed very well, IIRC.

For Want of a Nail, by Robert Sobel. The divergence point here is that reinforcements arrived for Burgoyne at Saratoga allowing him to be victorious. This book is written as a history book rather than a novel giving the histories of The Confederation of North America, The United States of Mexico, and the fate of other nations in the world from 1777 through to the late twentieth century.

There's a recent Cold War series (the name escapes me *) about a squad of British troops fighting their way out as the Russian tanks roll through West Germany.

*Something Zone or Zone something?

Try Widowland.

The Peshawar Lancers by SM Stirling

It has psychic phenomenon. Fantasy?

I finally read "The Man in the High Castle" this year. Mixed feelings about the ending, but otherwise very impressed. The characters are phenomenal.

Funny that nobody has mentioned The Yiddish Policemen’s Union by Michael Chabon which won the 2008 Hugo.

I loved that book! The Sitka Jewish Autonomous Region feels so real in it.

After one too many steampunk story where The Glorious British Empire Lasts Forever, I'd quite like to see more stories where The Glorious British Empire Never Existed. I don't quite have the historical chops to work that out myself. I did come up with the idea of England as a province of the Holy Roman Empire. Better-informed friends told me that was actually not so far-fetched: the Hapsburgs had at least one opportunity to acquire the British crown by marriage IRL. It would be interesting to describe a world where European colonisation petered out early, giving the rest of the world a fighting chance to modernise independently.

i found 1639 quite interesting and liked a few books more in the series but honestly it just got tiring. i read fatherland... yeah good, but damn... honestly i find the all alternate history concept annoying. i guees my suspension of desbelief can't take it. but you want one without syfy or fantasy elements... have you thought of the illuminatus trilogy by robert anton wilson?it's an alternate history of our own reality

Has there ever been an alternate history story about what would've happened hadn't any land west of the Mississippi been colonized by European-Americans or anyone else? A Native American nation, maybe?

Has there ever been an alternate history story about what would've happened hadn't any land west of the Mississippi been colonized by European-Americans or anyone else? A Native American nation, maybe?
i believe i read somewhere about an indian empire .... but i do mean Indian and not native-american.

In Welsh folklore there Is a story about a lost tribe of Welsh-speaking native americans called the Madogwys, living in the midwest, descendents of a Prince Madoc who escaped war in north Wales to land in north America in 1170.

The story is the subject of a rather good book, film, and album, American Interior by Gruff Rhys, who goes on the trail of an ancestor who believed the story and went looking for the Madogwys in the early 19th century. It is a good story about wishful thinking. As Rhys says: “ He went looking for a tribe that wasn’t there, and he didn’t find them. Such is life.”

B2EA4350-8BC1-4E1A-9A2D-4485FDC93815.jpeg

Last edited:
Martin Cruz Smith - The Indians won (1970)

I faintly recall reading this one about 40 years ago.
The premise being the Native Americans kept control of their lands so the European settlers are the poor immigrants.

I have fond memories of Joan Aiken's alternative-history children's books: "The Wolves of Willoughby Chase", "Black Hearts in Battersea" etc. Unfortunately, my grasp of history was so poor I didn't even realise that they /were/ alternative history. They're set in what would have been the Georgian period, except the Catholic King James II was never deposed and has been succeeded by James III. The treacherous House of Hanover are constantly plotting to overthrow the King and place a George on the throne.

More recently we have Sarah Gailey with her book River of Teeth

Back in the 1950s hippos were released into the American swamp areas, now we have massive herds of feral hippos roaming about.

In true Wild West style they get periodically rounded up by men riding tame hippos

Gordon Stevens And all the king's men

What happens when the Nazis invade in 1941 and subsequently occupy Britain?

I read this years ago, it's very good