Military Fiction

DLCroix

Who doesn't love things that go boom in pretty colors? :p
Don't believe it, because it is anything but pretty. My brother was on leave for about a month with a bruised rib and deaf in one ear just because a recruit exploded a noise grenade (like the ones used in attacks against terrorists) in the truck where they were going. Only the shock wave threw the twenty guys into the air and even the truck driver touched part, smashed the rear window; such that if they had gone near a ravine the story could have been very different. Or the same story of the test to win the tankist's beret: the caterpillar of the tank that they use for that test is half a meter wide; the Leopard's caterpillar is one meter, and it's a six meter long beast! He tells me all these things as a joke; but later he discovers that I am the one who begins to drink the Jack faster, and that is that you die just imagining the things he tells.

Margaret Note Spelling

There's always a bigger fish to fry.
I know, sorry. It was a bit of dark humor. Explosives are definitely horrific when there's actual people involved. Or, as my grandmother used to say to her roughhousing children: "Watch out, somebody's going to start crying." Yeah, I shouldn't have made light of explosives.

Joshua Jones

When all is said and done, all's quiet and boring.
You guys are great. I really, really appreciate this. And that's a really cool detail, @DLCroix--I hadn't even gotten to the whole issue of weapons and technology detail, and I know I'm going to have to! (Now I'm curious about why they don't have all rifles with grooves to the left, so I'm definitely going to look that up to see why.) @Joshua Jones, as always you are amazing. Between the three of you, I know I can have a lot more confidence about the things I'll be able to do with this book.
Now, weapons and technology is definitely in my purview... I have experience utilizing everything from firearms to polearms, and have a pretty solid understanding of weapon roles from fireteam to battalion. So, when you get to this part, feel free to ask!

Matchu

"Make it up" is fine for small, I'll do what I want publishers. This doesn't work for those who want mass market exposure, Do the research. 90% of any good fiction book is research. Where I work, we have an in-house library with hundreds of books that were used to add authenticity to fictional stories.
"Make it up," and then you polish. First draft is all vibrancy and zest [for me] with big errors. Then I link up the clauses for lucidity, and rejection.

...and research a lidl for the guns & procedure & authenticity.

There's also the tribe of getting all your bricks in line before you even write the first word. But for me that is a different pastime, the different tribe [hew].

Don Coyote

You guys are great. I really, really appreciate this. And that's a really cool detail, @DLCroix--I hadn't even gotten to the whole issue of weapons and technology detail, and I know I'm going to have to! (Now I'm curious about why they don't have all rifles with grooves to the left, so I'm definitely going to look that up to see why.) @Joshua Jones, as always you are amazing. Between the three of you, I know I can have a lot more confidence about the things I'll be able to do with this book.
Not all rifles have L/H rifling because it doesn't matter. Spin drift from a R/H twist pushes bullets to the right. Spin drift from a L/H twist pushes the bullet to the left. American rifles are traditionally R/H twist. I believe this has to do with humans being predominantly right handed.

Many British rifle makers chose a L/H twist in the belief the leftward bullet drift compensates for the tendency of right-handed shooters to pull the shot right when pulling the trigger. However, good shooters don't pull their shots. If a shooter does pull their shot, there's no way to predict if it'll be left, right, up or down.

Spin drift doesn't become a practical concern until about 500 yards and more.

If you want a good glimpse into U.S. military life, watch the CBS show SEAL Team. Military life doesn't just affect military members. It also impacts their dependents- spouses and children. Military wives and children live in a different world with different experiences and unique challenges. (There are military husbands, but nearly all are military members themselves, not dependents.) Military life can be very hard on families.

Another show that has a good feel for military life at the squad level is Rough Neck Chronicles. It's the animated spin off of Starship Troopers. The interactions between characters feels authentic.

Full Metal Jacket has the best depiction of boot camp of any movie. My father, a former Marine, was asleep in his armchair when Full Metal Jacket came on the TV. When R. Lee Ermy started barking at the new recruits, my father popped awake and came to attention. It had been several decades since Dad separated from the Corps and even longer since he went to boot camp at Parris Island.

In the US, soldiers are in the Army. Members of the Marine Corps are Marines. They are sailors in the Navy and Airmen in the Air Force. The closest I could find as an official title for the Coast Guard is "Coast Guardsman".

Soldiers are also called Dogfaces, Doggies, Grunt. Infantryman are called Eleven Bang-Bangs, Footsloggers

Marines are called Devil Dogs, Jarheads, Leathernecks, Crayon Eaters The Corps is called Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

Sailors are called Anchor Clankers, Swabbies, Deck Apes, Squids

Airmen are called Bus Drivers, Zoomies, Flyboys. The Air Force is called Chair Force

Coast Guardsmen are called Coasties, Puddle Pirate. Coast Guard is called Shallow Water Navy. Currently, the Coast Guard is officially part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Some are terms of endearment. Some are derogatory.

Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen are all G.I.s (Government Issue).

Last edited: