Military Fiction

DLCroix

Who doesn't love things that go boom in pretty colors? :p
Don't believe it, because it is anything but pretty. My brother was on leave for about a month with a bruised rib and deaf in one ear just because a recruit exploded a noise grenade (like the ones used in attacks against terrorists) in the truck where they were going. Only the shock wave threw the twenty guys into the air and even the truck driver touched part, smashed the rear window; such that if they had gone near a ravine the story could have been very different. Or the same story of the test to win the tankist's beret: the caterpillar of the tank that they use for that test is half a meter wide; the Leopard's caterpillar is one meter, and it's a six meter long beast! He tells me all these things as a joke; but later he discovers that I am the one who begins to drink the Jack faster, and that is that you die just imagining the things he tells.

Margaret Note Spelling

There's always a bigger fish to fry.
I know, sorry. It was a bit of dark humor. Explosives are definitely horrific when there's actual people involved. Or, as my grandmother used to say to her roughhousing children: "Watch out, somebody's going to start crying." Yeah, I shouldn't have made light of explosives.

Joshua Jones

When all is said and done, all's quiet and boring.
You guys are great. I really, really appreciate this. And that's a really cool detail, @DLCroix--I hadn't even gotten to the whole issue of weapons and technology detail, and I know I'm going to have to! (Now I'm curious about why they don't have all rifles with grooves to the left, so I'm definitely going to look that up to see why.) @Joshua Jones, as always you are amazing. Between the three of you, I know I can have a lot more confidence about the things I'll be able to do with this book.
Now, weapons and technology is definitely in my purview... I have experience utilizing everything from firearms to polearms, and have a pretty solid understanding of weapon roles from fireteam to battalion. So, when you get to this part, feel free to ask!