MAY 2020 75-Word Story -- VICTORY TO HUGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the Night Comes

I heard it came from the sky. In the crude sunlight, people have ashen skin and lifeless eyes.
Ghosts.
But when the night falls, all things living glow faintly in the dark.
Alive.
A man approaches me. His eyes are no longer dead. His skin shines like polished steel. He touches my hand and I start to shine too. I understand… this is the beginning!
We are the first Children of the Night.

Ninox strenua

She blew through the screen door into the cold night. Blood dripped from her nose.

Leave him.

If only she had the strength.

A rustle from the old gum drew her gaze. Two wide eyes stared back, glinting with reflected light.

Her grandmother told her once that owls watched over women of their mob.

Help me.

The screen door clattered again.

'Hon?'

The yard was empty, but two pairs of eyes shined from the gum.

The Wise Guy

“You’ve dumped Bigbeak. Why?”
“For cooing at Strangefeathers. He claims he told me. Now she’s got her tentacles around him.”
“He admitted he’d been seeing that young hen who tended your chicks when you were ill?”
Tended? They all vanished mysteriously! Anyway, I asked him what he was doing out late every night. He tricked me into believing he’d been involved with an informal group of musicians.”
“What did he say?”
“Just, ‘Hootenanny.’”

That's What You Get

“So you see, that’s why the female staying home provides better for the offspring.”

The professor sighed to herself, but nodded briskly. “Shouldn’t you start on the assignment? You don’t want to do it last-minute.”

He yawned. “Tomorrow. I’m an early bird.”

Something in the way he said that….

As the grey dawn lightened, she yawned. There! Her pupils dilated.

Silent swoop, claws snatched, early bird was hers.

Her offspring were doing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back