Hypnotic Films

I'm not a big Lynch fan either. Honestly, I only like Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man. Blue Velvet disturbs a lot of people (including me) because of its depiction of sexual deviance. I think it's hypnotic for me because of the rich color and how fascinatingly lurid it is. There are some touching romance scenes as well.

I agree with Dreams. Also: Hellboy 2: The Golden Army and Angel's Egg. Want to see: Enter the Void and City of Lost Children.

I watched The Elephant Man when I was about ten. It freaked me out but it gripped me, and watching it as an adult I thought it was excellent, very moving and loved the way it was filmed. Other than The Straight Road, which is very atypical of Lynch, making me wonder if he had less to do with the writing of that one, I’ve found his films tedious. I may still give Blue Velvet a try though... it’s your last chance Lynchy.

I remember especially enjoying Hellboy 2 at the time of release amongst the plethora of super hero and action films released that year. There are some beautifully dreamlike scenes.

Angel’s Egg: I watched the whole thing about a year ago and felt much less the wiser about it than before I’d seen it. I did enjoy a lot of it though, enough to want to watch it again. It’s basically a work of surreal art for anime fans.

Another film maker I forgot to mention beginning this topic is Charlie Kaufman. Anomalisa and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in particular took my breath away.

Dark City 1998 This one for alot of reason.:cool:

Roland Joffes The Mission with Morricone's soundtrack is a beautiful piece of work.

The Seventh Seal by Bergman has an hallucinatory feel to it.

Others have mentioned films I might have named but I'd like to add one. It isn't trippy hypnotic bit I find Chacun cherche son chat aka When the cat's away [1996] irresistible. It is a film about a woman looking for her cat in a small "Village" in Paris and all the characters she meets along the way. It's not long 85-90 minutes and every shot is beautiful [hey...Its Paris]

Having recently watched The Straight Story for the first time, I would say that that movie fits the bill.

Are you referring to Le ballon rouge (1956)? We watched it in French class at school. It had to be hypnotic to keep a class of 8 year-olds interested for half an hour.

I always thought there was something sinister about that damned Red Balloon .:unsure:

Then there's the film The Revenge of the Red Balloon. and yes , this film actually exists. :D