New version of The Thing on the way.

I'm interested in this. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

The Thing is so high up on my list of great movies that not a lot can knock it off. I just hope it amps up the paranoia and fear rather than being a movie made up of set piece after set piece.

If the pages weren't used in the previous films, there was probably a reason they were cut.

I suggest we get a copy of this remake and touch it with a hot wire.

I haven't read these books but based on the original film intro, and that the article says the extra content is from before most of the original film takes place, I wonder if this is more of a sci-fi element about the spaceship and what happens to the aliens before the crash? The space part is barely mentioned in the original film. But as the original film is so superb I can only expect a remake will be worse. Not necessarily terrible.

The only way and I mean only way, that this film could even approach the near perfection of Carpenter's film is if they do two things. First, they completely eschew CGI and use practical effects again. The prequel proved that a CGI Thing doesn't have any real impact on the viewer. Second, the cast would have to match the quality of Carpenter's. I can see a new one using too many 'stars' and most films with a lot of 'stars' are utter kack.

The only way and I mean only way, that this film could even approach the near perfection of Carpenter's film is if they do two things. First, they completely eschew CGI and use practical effects again. The prequel proved that a CGI Thing doesn't have any real impact on the viewer. Second, the cast would have to match the quality of Carpenter's. I can see a new one using too many 'stars' and most films with a lot of 'stars' are utter kack.

Set it in 1938. :)

It's a very long time since I read it but from what I remember, it was a short story called Who Goes There and not a novel. Maybe there's a reason it's not a novel (like the author didn't think he had enough quality material to flesh it out that far). He was, after all, an editor by trade and would know these things.

the prequel was actually okay, it sets up what happens next in the 1st flik. Then... I mean..we have these two dudes, and this gigantic spaceship in the ice... and no doubt some thing-stuff laying round somewhere... how hard can it be?
If they remake it... no, wouldn't, would they? NOO. Get on with the story, it's a perfect set-up.

If they were going to remake the original 1951 The Thing from another world, I'd be more interested, but still appalled.

:)
The scene in the 2011 film I liked was where the two-face thing is roaming the hallway looking for victims. Probably could have been more dramatic and scarier but it was a nightmarish idea.
But pretty feeble to have two American pilots who happen to be visiting the Norwegian camp and also happen to resemble MacCready and Childs! From what I heard the film was victim of studio micromanaging.

Bill Warren, author of Keep Watching the Skies was not a fan of the 82' Thing. Although the film is among my favorites he did have valid criticisms.
I also wonder how the film would have been if more of the FX was in shadows. One of the spookiest scenes cut from the film is someone in a corridor wearing a parka scurrying away from a team member. Very mundane yet eerie.

If they were going to remake the original 1951 The Thing from another world, I'd be more interested, but still appalled.
Although it veered somewhat from the original tale, I thought this was very good. It's a rare occurence when a story inspires a reasonably accurate movie (Carpenter's) but also a movie that is different but good in its own way.

Back