1.01: Star Trek: Picard - Remembrance

I forgot about Lal, though if I recall right her brain failed after a while, so highlights the very problems that the Daystrom Institute was suffering from in replicating the creation of a new living robot. According to this page Lore Lore's mind was in a box that was destroyed when the Enterprise D crashlanded in ST Generations. Although this latter bit of info is something somewhat "off-screen" so might be lore accurate but could be changed.

Either way its likely that the lack of any mention of them means that their minds were not accessible/suitable/usable in the same way that the back-up Data's mind was. Although it sounds like even the spare unit also encountered problems.

There is no need for the spoiler tags in these individual threads. It is only needed in the singular series thread, where everything is combined together.

I mean what happened to their parts after they were disassembled?

They were melted to scrap? Maybe the information isn't that important, because overall we know that there shouldn't be any synthetics anywhere. We don't know how the federation is enforcing the rule, but it might be a safe to assume that they have some sort of sensor technology. Something that they can use from a distance away, instead of doing it individually.

the Daystrom Institute was suffering from in replicating the creation of a new living robot.

What do you mean by a living robot?

What do you mean by a living robot?
Well, clearly they do have, at least one, deactivated and kept inside a box? And they are working on "theoretical" issues - maybe they have models, semi-constructed parts of a whole, brains kept in a jar??? Just not a working, complete, activated item.

Re: Spoliers
I moved Blake00's post here from the Trailer thread, so his spoiler is a left-over from there. If anyone is concerned about spoilers from other Star Trek series, well our previous convention in Star trek and in other franchises is that whatever has already been aired is no longer a spoiler. So, you can talk about TNG episodes in this thread but not about next weeks Picard episode.

Well, clearly they do have, at least one, deactivated and kept inside a box? And they are working on "theoretical" issues - maybe they have models, semi-constructed parts of a whole, brains kept in a jar??? Just not a working, complete, activated item.

The way I think about alive is simply, just alive, not broken. Picard's farming bots are alive, and clearly following some sort of routine. So in that sense I would put some of this for being a writer issue, because at the end of the day, it's us who has to think about the information they're delivering and this huge controversy of a galaxy wide ban. I wonder what Borg's or Seven-of-Nine might think about it.

In a way it's kind of sad how much the Federation has gone backwards, or even corrupted their ideologies, as they are clearly in a violation with the Prime Directive, where all life should be equal.

They were melted to scrap?

The last time we saw Lore he had been disassembled and boxed up - pretty much like B4 was. I actually thought it was Lore at first!

Picard's farming bots are alive, and clearly following some sort of routine.

Basic programmed routines or basic AI - not sentient. :)

Reactions: ctg
Help.
I got lost somewhere after missing episodes and movies over a few years and then trying to catch up. In what episodes or movie do robots go rogue and get banned? The last I knew was Nemesis and Data was dead.
Not worried about spoilers just looking for direction.
Thanks.

Help.
I got lost somewhere after missing episodes and movies over a few years and then trying to catch up. In what episodes or movie do robots go rogue and get banned? The last I knew was Nemesis and Data was dead.
Not worried about spoilers just looking for direction.
Thanks.
You probably didn't miss anything. The interview scene that ran down the major events that occurred some 15 years ago was all new information, setting the scene for why Picard left Starfleet, why he has Romulan house servants, and why he has nightmares involving Data and Mars. Commander Bruce Maddox and Lal were in TNG episodes and films, but you were given everything you really needed to know about them in this episode. If anything, there was too much exposition to the detriment of the plot.

Part Bourne Identity, part Logan, part Shakespeare, all Trek!

There was a lot to take in in this first episode but it was captivating from the first few moments. This is the sort of feeling lacking in the risible STD. I was expecting Stewart to be a little rusty portraying Picard but there was none of that. He fully inhabited the role with ease. The rest of the cast took their cues from him and it worked beautifully. All too often when an actor reprises a role after years away it feels like a hollow effort but didn't happen.

The loss of Romulus is disappointing but perhaps that is where the story is heading, to erase the dreadful Kelvin line. Fingers crossed. The rest of the story is developing nicely and is vastly more entertaining than that other programme. I was *ahem* engaged in the story from the very first moments. Granted I'm biased but I hope I would have had the strength to call the show out if it had been awful.

I have always preferred Star Trek to Star Wars and both have taken a beating in the last twenty years but now Star Trek is back! I'm so excited by this and cannot wait for the next episode. Roll on Thursdays.

In DC you have multiple earths ?So why not multiple Treks ? And actually, the Empire verse is an alternate Trek Lot of story story possibilities The Kelvin Timeline is not likely going away, the very destruction of Romulus and the disappearance of Ambassador Spock further cements it as cannon. I actually liked the Kelvin timeline and am hoping to see them do another film set in it and maybe with the remerging of Viacom and Paramount, we might get crossover stories with the Kelvin Timeline. That could be fun. :)

Last edited:
I'm confused about what anything in Picard has to do with the Kelvin Timeline, unless it will explain the time-travelling, Romulan Nero. Even if it does, theories of time in Star Trek have been very muddled, and there is certainly room for "many worlds" to exist. Remember that we already have the "Mirror Universe."
What will happen when Discovery appears in this timeline from the past? Will that lead to yet another alternative reality?

Reactions: ctg
I enjoyed it because it is a generational story that reminded me at times of a SF version of The Kominsky Method. I was taken with the human approach to Picard as his fallibility in his failing body and the redundancy of his ethics (i.e sticking to his guns got him nowhere) and how he had to process that.

I like this trend; we saw it with Grumpy Luke on Ach-To in TLJ and his final lesson from Yoda, and rise in TROS, and we now see it with JL Picard. I really felt it was a drama far more than a SFF show.

For too long Hollywood and the like have been ageist. It's nice to see it being embraced, and realise that interesting characters do not become flaccid, impotent useless things when they hit forty, but still have their own conflicts, drives and passions.

pH

Last edited:
They were melted to scrap?

Well maybe but such an action was never specified. It was stated that they would be disassembled. Nothing more. So in theory they 'should' be still out there somewhere.

Re: Spoliers
I moved Blake00's post here from the Trailer thread, so his spoiler is a left-over from there. If anyone is concerned about spoilers from other Star Trek series, well our previous convention in Star trek and in other franchises is that whatever has already been aired is no longer a spoiler. So, you can talk about TNG episodes in this thread but not about next weeks Picard episode.

Sorry guys, didn't see the dedicated thread for discussing the ep. I now know where to go!

That said we might still end up a bit in DS9 territory. Ergo a long standing plot that is interspaced with adventure episodes. It's very hard to tell now as even very episodic stuff can have one or two leading episodes where there's moving plot and no set format before it settles into episodic format for the middle.

It's really hard to tell as it could go either way

Just something that might interest those rekindling their Startrek interests through this series - Humble bundle has a big bundle of Startrek comics on offer from IDW:

Which looking at it is a pretty big chunk of comics. Those more familiar with the comic series might be able to say if its most/all of the IDW stuff.

This 10 minute video explains all the nods and winks in this pilot episode to earlier Trek. There was quite a lot that I missed, and it explains things I was unsure about. Worth watching after you have seen the episode first.