Worzel Gummidge Specials this Christmas

I dunno, there was something about the old Worzel that gave him a country farmer feel to him. Scruffy and down to earth and generally earthy. This new one I'm not really struck on the face, its too wrinkled (though I get the bag-face look that they are going for). Hands look good like gnarled wood instead of gloves. Maybe its just because he comes off as a bit young.

His head's a turnip. A Wurzel is a turnip.

I like MC's writing so might check this out.

Just caught the last twenty mins of this as was watching Paul o'Grady on the other side but what I did see seemed quite good. And recognised the Unthanks music straight away as they also did the Detectorists.

Oh, I liked it. There were plenty of amusing lines, and I enjoyed Crook's take on the character.

(Also nice to see someone else writing about getting plastic bags out of trees!)

I was a little unkind last night, no he's not Jon Pertwee but Mackenzie Crook has put his own spin on Worzel.
It was magical, whimsical and delivers a powerful message without being preachy. I would love to see a series.
I also want to see Susan and John getting their forever home at Scatterbrook farm.

I thought the second episode wasn't quite as sharp as the first, but I still enjoyed it.

Much as I liked Jon Pertwee in everything else he did, I never got on with his Worzel Gummidge. I much prefer Crook's. I hope he's able to make a series of this.

Good to see Michael Palin reprising his "It's ..." role from Monty Python.

I hope there's a series too. I thought the names on the cows were funny. Also, good to hear the word "guffed" again, not heard that since I was a kid!

I thought the second episode wasn't quite as sharp as the first, but I still enjoyed it.

Agreed! The first, for me, managed to touch into something timeless (well, time had stopped, I suppose) and other-dimensional, particularly when the scarecrows create the crop circle that gets things moving again. This was less evident in the second, but I guess you can't touch into the mythic in every episode.

Good to see Michael Palin reprising his "It's ..." role from Monty Python.

Ah! Of course! I'd missed this.

Also, good to hear the word "guffed" again, not heard that since I was a kid!
I don't remember hearing the word guff before, but it must give a certain depth to the term 'guffaw'

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hugh General TV Discussion 10
nixie General TV Discussion 11