June 2019: Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laurie Lee "A Moment of War"
Remarkable. Spain 1937, the International Brigade. Gripping. Frightening. Worrying. I can see how this generated controversy as to how much is out-and-out truth, how much is poetic licence, but that feels irrelevant.
Many thanks for the suggestion @hitmouse.
I am glad you liked it. Cannot remember when I recommended it, but I have been foisting Laurie Lee on people for years.
Try The Rose in Winter, where he returns to his Spanish haunts after WWII.

Finished Quest for Lost Heroes (Drenai #4) by Gemmell. That was really great, the best one yet. I'm now working on #5 Waylander 2. So far it's decent but not as good as 4, I'll get back to Druss with #6 before the month is out in between my other projects.

, Set in Darkness by Ian Rankin, one of his Inspector Rebus series
Amazing!
I've been re-reading all the Rebus books in sequence as well this last few weeks (I've just got his latest 'In a house of lies' and wanted to familiarise myself again with the series)
I'm about halfway through Dead Souls so I'm closing up on you like Vettel on Hamilton

@dannymcg --- Here's the promised review/evaluation

I finished reading The Gordian Protocol by David Weber and Jacob Holo. David Weber has sold millions of books as the author of the Honor Harrington mega series and many other S.F. and a few Fantasy books as well. Jacob Holo was unknown to me. But he does have a few books to his credit. Jacob Holo However, as none of them are known to me and all of them have less than 100 reviews, in most cases, much less, I'm confident he would not be considered one of the genre's super stars. Since he and David both live in South Carolina I'm guessing (it's never stated) that they ran into each other somewhere, hit it off, and decided to write a book.

The Gordian Protocol is a time travel book with a reasonably small cast of characters. The premise of the book is that in the thirtieth century time travel to the past has become possible but not to the future because the thirtieth century is the "true present." The time travelers from that age interact with the past in the same manner as pirates because they are convinced that nothing changes when they make changes because their present remains unaffected by actions as dramatic as stealing the entire library of ancient Alexandria. It turns out they are wrong about this assumption and the book proceeds from there.

On the positive side, this book does not suffer from some of Weber's obvious weaknesses. First, most people will appreciate is that there is nothing like a Weber info-dump in this book. Second, this book does not run to a bloated thousand pages. I read the Kindle version and it did not feel over long. The Amazon site gives the size as a rather normal 559 pages. Third, the battle scenes ring fairly true. Fourth the action was fairly continuous. Fifth, at least for people like me, the politics are of the progressive conservative variety which I admire, but they are at most a side issue, not given many pages, and are used to poke fun at some liberal pretensions. Sixth, at least for some, this is a stand alone novel and there is little room for a sequel.

On the negative side, I found the characters a bit wooden. They seem more like cardboard cutouts than true people. (And this comes from someone who loves the Honor Harrington character.) While the action took surprising turns from time to time, there was always for me a feeling of inevitability. A more detailed explanation of what troubled me is contained in the spoiler.

So.... I'm not sure how strongly I can recommend this book. It is pretty good, but not much above average, so a weak 4 stars. However I'd love to discuss this book. If someone reads it and wants to talk about it .... post to the Weber sub-forum and we'll chat.

First, most people will appreciate is that there is nothing like a Weber info-dump in this book.
Hurrah! They (to me at least) usually involve a hasty fumble ahead and try to pick the story up again.
Cheers Parson, the premise does sound interesting, I might well get it at the end of this month

Roger Zelazny “Wizard World” (Changeling + Madwand)
Although it has its moments, I’m afraid I found this more than a little tedious. I’m not unhappy he never got round to writing the third volume.

At the moment Stephen Koch's The Modern Library Writer's Workshop is visiting my nightstand. He draws from a very wide variety of writing grand masters to shape his lessons on the craft. I'm especially pleased by the way he focuses on storytelling above all. It's easy to get distracted by lore, backstory, and the bells and whistles of one's favorite writing software.

About halfway through The Greek Myths by Robert Graves, and also the first three Chronicles of the Black Gate (or it might be the other way around) by Phil Tucker (just 99p for all three as an e-book).

The Graves book has a lot of notes, which are sometimes interesting though I must admit just skimming most. The Black Gate story is high fantasy, and I'm rather liking it. There are some more entries in the series after the third, so we'll see if I go for those immediately after (I do have other things literally piled up to read).

@dannymcg --- Here's the promised review/evaluation

I finished reading The Gordian Protocol by David Weber and Jacob Holo. David Weber has sold millions of books as the author of the Honor Harrington mega series and many other S.F. and a few Fantasy books as well. Jacob Holo was unknown to me. But he does have a few books to his credit. Jacob Holo However, as none of them are known to me and all of them have less than 100 reviews, in most cases, much less, I'm confident he would not be considered one of the genre's super stars. Since he and David both live in South Carolina I'm guessing (it's never stated) that they ran into each other somewhere, hit it off, and decided to write a book.

The Gordian Protocol is a time travel book with a reasonably small cast of characters. The premise of the book is that in the thirtieth century time travel to the past has become possible but not to the future because the thirtieth century is the "true present." The time travelers from that age interact with the past in the same manner as pirates because they are convinced that nothing changes when they make changes because their present remains unaffected by actions as dramatic as stealing the entire library of ancient Alexandria. It turns out they are wrong about this assumption and the book proceeds from there.

On the positive side, this book does not suffer from some of Weber's obvious weaknesses. First, most people will appreciate is that there is nothing like a Weber info-dump in this book. Second, this book does not run to a bloated thousand pages. I read the Kindle version and it did not feel over long. The Amazon site gives the size as a rather normal 559 pages. Third, the battle scenes ring fairly true. Fourth the action was fairly continuous. Fifth, at least for people like me, the politics are of the progressive conservative variety which I admire, but they are at most a side issue, not given many pages, and are used to poke fun at some liberal pretensions. Sixth, at least for some, this is a stand alone novel and there is little room for a sequel.

On the negative side, I found the characters a bit wooden. They seem more like cardboard cutouts than true people. (And this comes from someone who loves the Honor Harrington character.) While the action took surprising turns from time to time, there was always for me a feeling of inevitability. A more detailed explanation of what troubled me is contained in the spoiler.

So.... I'm not sure how strongly I can recommend this book. It is pretty good, but not much above average, so a weak 4 stars. However I'd love to discuss this book. If someone reads it and wants to talk about it .... post to the Weber sub-forum and we'll chat.
thank's. i read the description and i'm on the fence. honestly i'm not a big fan of alternate histories. never saw the point, really. that said, i like most of weber work so i'm on the fence like i said. by the way you speak of a spoiler... where is it?

I've read 'The History of the World in bite-sized chunks' by Emma Marriott. While I've studied British History and Local History and picked up much as you do by travel, TV and reading, my knowledge of ancient civilisations and of history beyond Europe was very sketchy. This book helps to fill in those gaps, though it does read a little like an encyclopedia.

I'm now reading 'Prisoners of Geography' by Tim Marshall. I'm a geographer first, a historian second, so it comes as no surprise to me that the landscape imprisons some countries and their leaders. Geography shapes so much about where towns and borders are set, and their ability to grow and to trade. When I studied history I found that this was quite a surprise to many historians. They see it as a bleak view of the world, as it would mean countries lacked any determinism to alter their own fates. This book gives historical and present day examples where the same situation is bound to keep occurring again, and explains much in that regard. Geopolitics is a growth industry and Tim Marshall knows his subject well. Despite being three years old, the predictions made in this book are quite astonishingly right.

thank's. i read the description and i'm on the fence. honestly i'm not a big fan of alternate histories. never saw the point, really. that said, i like most of weber work so i'm on the fence like i said. by the way you speak of a spoiler... where is it?

That's a really good question. As far as I know I put the quote in the Spoiler tag, and it was there, but now it is not. I will try again here.
"I was frustrated by the ending. The entire book seemed to demand a certain type of ending but the ending was something that had more to do with a deux ex machina ending than with a logical conclusion to the action. In some ways it made the struggle seem to be far less critical than the thrust of the book made it seem."

Are their any 'alternative history' books written where the Mexican Army overcame the Texan Revolution in 1835-6 and then marched on New Orleans and took control of the Mississippi? 'The Prisoners of Geography' book says it is one of the "great if's" of modern history and it sounds like a story David Weber might write.

Are their any 'alternative history' books written where the Mexican Army overcame the Texan Revolution in 1835-6 and then marched on New Orleans and took control of the Mississippi? 'The Prisoners of Geography' book says it is one of the "great if's" of modern history and it sounds like a story David Weber might write.

tenta aqui

Thanks @tobl Those are excellent resources.

It doesn't look like there is one exactly like that. There is this:

For Want of a Nail by Robert N. Sobel, the American Revolution failed and the British colonies become the Confederation of North America (CNA), while the defeated rebels go into exile in Spanish Tejas, eventually founding the United States of Mexico (USM).

and there are these:

Remember the Alamo! Randle, Kevin, and Robert Cornett.
Roswell, Texas. Smith, L. Neil, Rex F. May, and Scott Bieser.
Thirteen Days of Glory. Cupp, Scott.

Don't forget to vote in our 75 word challenge

I have barely started Wilders by Brenda Cooper (2017), one of several "advanced reading copies" I received from the editor of Tangent Online for doing short story reviews. Seems to be something about high tech cities and the wilderness outside in the near future.

I have since moved on to the sequel, Keepers (2018), which I purchased cheaply with some credit I had on an Amazon gift card, because this is a two-book series. The first one had something of the flavor of a Young Adult novel; this one seems a bit more mature. In any case, the theme (restoring the world outside the gigantic cities back to wilderness, and those who oppose this) is an interesting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back