Any thoughts on Dennis Wheatley ?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
I picked up a copy of his book The Found Atlantis published 1936. I have heard the name before , due a Hammer film The Lost Continent made about the IN 1968 which based off of one his novel , I think.

hitmouse

He wrote alot of supernatural horror stories in the mid 20th century. A number were made into 1960s films. Rather out of fashion now.
I had a friend who thought that The Haunting of Toby Jug was the scariest thing he had ever read.

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
I've read a lot of Dennis Wheatley, yes they are a bit out dated but still a good read. The Haunting of Toby Jug I read it as a teen, do remember it being disturbing and need to find a copy to re-read.

The Devil Rides Out, is one of those books you never forget.

BAYLOR

They Found Atlantis is the first only book ive seen or own by him. Ive never seen any of his other books on store shelves.

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't read They Found Atlantis.
The ones I do remember

The Forbidden Territory
The Devil Rides Out
Strange Conflict
They Used Dark Forces
The Satanist
To The Devil a Daughter
Gateway to Hell.
I've read others but can't remember.

BAYLOR

I haven't read They Found Atlantis.
The ones I do remember

The Forbidden Territory
The Devil Rides Out
Strange Conflict
They Used Dark Forces
The Satanist
To The Devil a Daughter
Gateway to Hell.
I've read others but can't remember.
This book I have appears to be an adventure novel .

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I've never seen any of his other books on store shelves.
This was quite some time ago... 1980? I was a student. You never see Westerns on store shelves today either, but there was huge shelf space devoted just to Westerns in libraries back then... Ah! Yes, the old days!!!

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I found a couple of new printings of Wheatley books a couple (or maybe five) years ago.

I'd just like to stick in a plug for The Devil Is a Gentleman: The Life and Times of Dennis Wheatley, by Phil Baker. A very enjoyable bio.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I remember watching and being terrified of The Devil Rides Out as a kid, but I've not actually read any of his books.

Randy M.

The Devil Rides Out (1968) and To The Devil, a Daughter (1976) were filmed, both with Christopher Lee, both from Hammer. Don't recall seeing the latter but the former is enjoyable, with a screenplay by Richard Matheson. Pops up in the U.S. on TMC every so often.

Randy M.

BAYLOR

The Devil Rides Out (1968) and To The Devil, a Daughter (1976) were filmed, both with Christopher Lee, both from Hammer. Don't recall seeing the latter but the former is enjoyable, with a screenplay by Richard Matheson. Pops up in the U.S. on TMC every so often.

Randy M.
I may have seen both of those. bot, Im not sure .:unsure: