(Found... finally!) Anyone remember an sf novel about a man ripped to pieces by a starving mob?

I can only think of one book that I've read where a starving mob rips a man apart, that was a full length book, not a short story. And no state controlled prostituting.
Famine by Graham Masterton

We have had queries before where the memory plays tricks on the mind and conflates two stories together. Make Room, Make Room is the seminal overpopulation book. The quote is almost correct but it is from the '60's and doesn't have a man literally "torn apart." However, Famine by Graham Masterton is from1981, and the OP said around 1974.

I can only think of one book that I've read where a starving mob rips a man apart, that was a full length book, not a short story. And no state controlled prostituting.
Famine by Graham Masterton
Danny thanks for your reply, but I am certain that I read this novel in 1973 or 74, whereas Famine by Graham Masterton was published in 1981.

All I can remember is that it was a hardback book from a UK library in about 1973/4. And it was in the third person.

No, it's not The Wanting Seed by Anthony Burgess, or Make Room, Make Room, by Harry Harrison, or anything by Robert Silverberg. Thanks to all those who have replied and keep trying! Thanks again, Paul.

Really scratching my head here, because I am pretty sure I read this ages ago.
Could this be a Moorcock? The Black Corridor, perhaps?

Sorry, I've skimmed through my Moorcock books but no scene like that
Thanks for replying Danny, I appreciate it. If anyone else is reading this, please keep looking! Two other points I have remembered which might be of help are 1/ It was definitely a novel and NOT a short story and 2/ It was at some time published in the UK as a hardback.

Could be "Perfume - The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Süskind.

A bit of a guess but I think I recall this story about a man who became mad to make the perfect perfumes and even killed beautiful women to make perfumes from them. Eventually he made a perfume so wonderful that when he wore it a crowd of people couldn't restrain themselves and killed him in their efforts to get near him.

A bit of a guess but I think I recall this story about a man who became mad to make the perfect perfumes and even killed beautiful women to make perfumes from them. Eventually he made a perfume so wonderful that when he wore it a crowd of people couldn't restrain themselves and killed him in their efforts to get near him.
yes but the rest of the book is not like he's looking

NO, IT'S DEFINITELY NOT THAT - PLEASE KEEP LOOKING, EVERYONE!

Another possibility
Irving A. Greenfield 'Waters of Death'

One bit of info I found (but then lost!) online mentions the protagonists wife ending up in a state run brothel.
Another (again lost!) blurb says he has a gruesome death.
I really couldn't find anything else about the book

Ah...that sounds like it just could be the one...I will try to get hold of a copy...meanwhile please keep on looking, anyone reading this!

Another possibility
Irving A. Greenfield 'Waters of Death'

One bit of info I found (but then lost!) online mentions the protagonists wife ending up in a state run brothel.
Another (again lost!) blurb says he has a gruesome death.
I really couldn't find anything else about the book
I have ordered it via ebay - I will let you know immediately it arrives if it's the one. Thanks again, Paul.

Back