Spotting old books and magazines and dummy newspapers in TV, movies and old photos

No prizes for the three Action Comics in the middle!

Bottom middle:

Weird_Tales_June_1938.jpg

From the Foyle’s War teleplay “The Hide.” Foyle brings a couple of books to a prisoner whose trust he needs to gain.
BD05C799-7C34-469B-A068-CE46A8C7CD86.jpeg

BB6E9842-4530-46C1-8B0A-718FDF79EF6A.jpeg

Terrific book, by the way. Does anyone read Waugh much these days?

To my surprise I found recently my 18 year old daughter has read some. Apparently she enjoyed Brideshead Revisited but didn't get on with Scoop at all - couldn't get past the dated racial stereotyping apparently. I think it says something about my parenting skills that I spend my time reading comic books, and pulp SF with lurid covers - and my kids read proper literature

To my surprise I found recently my 18 year old daughter has read some. Apparently she enjoyed Brideshead Revisited but didn't get on with Scoop at all - couldn't get past the dated racial stereotyping apparently. I think it says something about my parenting skills that I spend my time reading comic books, and pulp SF with lurid covers - and my kids read proper literature
I think Scoop is one of the funniest books I have ever read. There is some dated racial characterisation (not nearly as striking as many of Waugh’s contemporaries) but this is mainly a satire on the stupidity and obliviousness of the British establishment.
I like Brideshead and Decline and Fall. Not sure if I have read any of his others.

Scoop, Vile Bodies, Put Out More Flags.

"Ee, she were a grand writer, that Evelyn Waff..."

Terrific book, by the way. Does anyone read Waugh much these days?
A Waugh forum

got a little attention eight years ago. It doesn't seem to be the case that he's much read here, at least.