mistaking fiction for fact

CTRandall

I have my very own plant pot!
Supporter
Strange thing happened today. Someone posted a comment on my blog that made it clear they mistook my fictional post as factual news. To be fair, I deliberately imitated a news article in the post and it's also clear that English is the reader's second language. I can imagine myself making a similar mistake in such circumstances (though the blog post in question is kind of absurd--it was about the East African Federation making all personal data publically available).

This raises two questions:

First: Do any of you feel the need to put a disclaimer that your blog is fictional? I think my blog would pass a legal test that a reasonable person would recognize it's fiction, especially as the words "Fantasy and Science Fiction" are written at the top of the page in big letters.

Second: Do any of you have good stories about similar misunderstandings?

Since you've included the words Fantasy and Science Fiction" on your blog, no other disclaimer is needed. Fortunately, I have no similar circumstance to relate. :p

Ah, yes, those fictional book reviews. Actually, I think I might start doing that. I might start with a review of Charles Dickens' rewrite of "A Brave New World". Or Mark Twain's version of "50 Shades of Grey".

Just my opinion...

I looked at your link and completely missed 'SF and Fantasy Blog' (not Fantasy and Science fiction that you mention - it makes a huge difference in meaning to me) the first time, so I'd say it's not that noticeable! (Might be my age...;)) But the point is that, people who blog, who are SF and fantasy related, also post stuff about reality and real issues. So unless it's made clear, I'd probably have thought it could be real, especially if I'm just glancing at it.

It's possible that you state in the main page that the whole project is fictional, but someone, like myself, who has been directed to just that page will completely miss that and not know why you're blogging such articles and what to expect.

Of course the main clue is right at the end, but I know from experience that many people will look at the highlights at the start of an article then wander off and not bother finishing reading - even the smallest of articles.

So yeah, looks a tad like actual news

Back