Who's next?

Watch a couple of episodes of the FIRST series of the short-lived ITV cop show Murder City and you will understand why I've spent the last fifteen years screaming the name Kris Marshall...

I've been meaning to set up a thread with the following question, but will post it here instead.

Apologies if this is a highjack...mods feel free to post elsewhere if you think so.

Q: Would it be possible to not reveal a new Doctor until the debut episode?

As far as I know, the BBC have always announced a new Doctor since Peter Davison took over from Tom Baker. But could this be withheld? Would Chroners like it to be? Personally, I would.

The regeneration sequence would have to be filmed at some point so then news would leak out - even if there was no official announcement. But perhaps the "reveal" in the regeneration could be filmed only for the debut episode - rather than the final episode of the previous series? This would also be post-production in SFX but the episode would still have to be filmed with all the actors. Unless it was a Doctor alone in Tardis episode - so fewer people to know about it and minimum SFX so less time post-production (i.e. less time for leaks)?

I'm thinking the answer to my question is; these days, no. But maybe, just maybe, the reveal at the end of the final episode could be a surprise - inserted at the very end of post-production, just before broadcast.

I'm also thinking I really have high jacked this thread. Sorry Harpo.

Peter Capaldi had a major role in Torchwood and a major role in one episode. He was still elgible as the Doctor. I want Catherine Tate as the Doctor. I couldn't care less how they would justify it. XD